• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How do we lose to the Sixers?

bumpyphish1

• Premium Member

We came out flat... They didn't. We fought hard. They did too. We made up deficit after deficit, they never gave up. I don't think they stink as badly as you may believe. Maybe with AI, this team stinks.. but without AI and with Miller, this team is not so bad. They can run and they got scorers.

Our problem tonight and I'm hard pressed to find a lot of them because we played very good offensively... Defensively, we just couldn't get many stops. Who'd expect Dalembert to hit the shots that he did? Who'd expect that Andre' Miller would dominate the way he did.

Like Smitty said... "sometimes you have to play with a sense of urgency early".

and I think that's how we lost.

How did we lose?

The exact reason why I hate playing teams like this.

We underestimate our opponents. A lowly team like us, has no business underestimating an opponent, but we do it anyway because of youth.

It's stupid. Some of that has to be Woodson but not all of it.

At some point, as a player you have to have motivation within and come play hard every night including teams that you are better than on paper.

You would think we would know considering we get wins sometimes when teams underestimate us, not to mention this is the umpteenth time this has happened to us.

It's the reason why this team is unbelievably frustrating to pull for.

But more than effort, we need a big man plain and simple. Solomon could be the guy. Who knows. All I know is that Zaza and Lo Wright are not starting material.

I'm to the point that watching Zaza on defense makes me want to puke. Instead of going straight up, he simply gives up and fouls when they get the ball deep in the post on him. He'd rather front his man and go for the steal than defend his position. I'm about ready to say package him in a deal. He's got a very manageable contract that some teams may be willing to take on and give up something of relative value for him.

We also need a point guard though. Watching what Andre Miller did to us last night only reinforced that fact.

Quote:

We also need a point guard though. Watching what Andre Miller did to us last night only reinforced that fact.

KB, you posted 1000000000000000 times why we didn't need Deron, Paul, or even Roy (after you posted we did need him at Pg). KB-imposter, what have you done with KB!?! We miss his insistace that he was here to enlighten ignorant Hawks fans. Now he (weakly) calls into question everything he supported and BK has done? This is not right. Admins. can you verify this is KB?

W

Our GM apparently doesn't agree that a first rate PG is all that important. His track record indicates that he beats around the bush with this position, mistakenly assuming that anybody decent is OK. We all know how not getting a good PG is working out.

My guess is that the GM will stick with his current two PG's next year. He will convince his bosses that Speedy will be fine when healthy and Lue is a leader we need off the bench. The owners will swallow it whole because they don't know what the heck is going on and because it means they don't have to spend any additional money. We end up drafting 14-18, draft a stiff to help in the middle (the best available stiff for those playing at home) and we end up dead last in the division next year.

The good news is I don't have to pay for the privlege of watching this horrible team play next year. I can get it for free...it feels good just thinking about it.

1. Pachulia he is wretched at this point. at one point in the 2nd half last night Joe took it to the rim down around 3 to 5 points and i thought to myself "NO!" when he dumped it to Pachulia who had a good look at the basket. what happened? I can't remember exactly but it ended in the Hawks scoring 0 points on that posession

2. Woodson for leaving Pachulia in. Woody finally pulled Zaza in the 4th after it became too unbearable to watch.

I posted this in the game thread but it bears repeating.

Daly and Hunter scored 34 pts on 75% shooting with 9 blocks.

Zaza and BLO scored 9 pts on 23% shooting with 0 blocks.

This team isn't good enough to overcome that kind of pwnage at the center position.

There were some here that thought the Zaza/BLO combo would work. They are conspicuously silent now.

On to a couple of positive notes.

Josh Smith had his 3rd str8 20/10 game. I don't think he has done that before. Starting at the 4 is obviously agreeing with him. I felt last season that opposing 4s would have a tougher time guarding Smith than he would have guarding them and it is starting to show. He will have to refine his game and cut down on the turnovers to really take full advantage of playing the 4.

Plus it is obviously a must to get a center who can guard some of the 4s that are just too big for Josh to handle.

Marvin had a decent scoring game after his fp episode. He made one move that I liked. He was waiting outside the 3 pt line with Hunter on him and was ready for a pass from JJ to shoot a catch and shoot 3. However JJ led him with the pass, pulling him inside the 3 pt line and putting him off balance. He took a couple of hesitation dribbles that JJ does so well that froze Hunter and then he put a jumper right in Hunters face. Earlier this month he showed the beginnings of a right handed jump hook.

I was at the game last night and IMO JJ looked exhausted. He is playing too many minutes and it showed last night. You all are right about our 5 spot in that we got little from that spot last night (though Dalembert and Hunter's hot shooting was an anomaly). Woody's choice to go small late in the 4th put the final nail in our coffin. We were in striking distance still before he went small and the Sixers quickly put up big points to get to double digits. Shelden should have been in the game during that stretch b/c he was the most effective inside player for us last night. Another bad loss (2 losses to the Bobcats, one to injury depleted Hornets at home, and now this).

Quote:

I was at the game last night and IMO JJ looked exhausted. He is playing too many minutes and it showed last night. You all are right about our 5 spot in that we got little from that spot last night (though Dalembert and Hunter's hot shooting was an anomaly). Woody's choice to go small late in the 4th put the final nail in our coffin. We were in striking distance still before he went small and the Sixers quickly put up big points to get to double digits. Shelden should have been in the game during that stretch b/c he was the most effective inside player for us last night. Another bad loss (2 losses to the Bobcats, one to injury depleted Hornets at home, and now this).

Woody went small but Andre Miller killed us in the end.

Quote:

We came out flat... They didn't. We fought hard. They did too. We made up deficit after deficit, they never gave up. I don't think they stink as badly as you may believe. Maybe with AI, this team stinks.. but without AI and with Miller, this team is not so bad. They can run and they got scorers.

Our problem tonight and I'm hard pressed to find a lot of them because we played very good offensively... Defensively, we just couldn't get many stops. Who'd expect Dalembert to hit the shots that he did? Who'd expect that Andre' Miller would dominate the way he did.

Like Smitty said... "sometimes you have to play with a sense of urgency early".

and I think that's how we lost.

Good analysis Diesel. People act like the Hawks are this team that should beat everybody on any given night. LOL . . we're just as schizophrenic as all of the other "bad" teams in this league.

Dre Miller took over the game in the 4th quarter, when the Hawks were only down 2. We go down the court 4 straight times and miss 4 straight jumpers. Meanwhile, Miller hits 4 straight shots and had a nice assist to Iggy for a dunk, that quickly pushed that lead to 12.

That stretch ended the game.

With a better coach just maybe the Hawks display that sense of urgency. Listen up Cyde: There is NO EXCUSE when you lose at home by 15 points to the lousy SIXERS. None.

And if you would pull your head out of Woody's butt you might understand that. This win was a layup. We not only get beat, we get blown up. If you want to make excuses for this type of stuff be my guest. But a lot of fans know what time it is...we are a piss poor team with a piss poor coach...piss poor ownership...and piss poor GM.

These losses are far too common, just like getting hammered at home by the beat up Hornets a couple weeks back. There is no excuse for this garbage. Byron Scott owns Mike Woodson...even Mo Cheeks is better. The Sixers aren't that bad, huh? LOL...

Quote:

With a better coach just maybe the Hawks display that sense of urgency. Listen up Cyde: There is NO EXCUSE when you lose at home by 15 points to the lousy SIXERS. None.

And if you would pull your head out of Woody's butt you might understand that. This win was a layup. We not only get beat, we get blown up. If you want to make excuses for this type of stuff be my guest. But a lot of fans know what time it is...we are a piss poor team with a piss poor coach...piss poor ownership...and piss poor GM.

These losses are far too common, just like getting hammered at home by the beat up Hornets a couple weeks back. There is no excuse for this garbage. Byron Scott owns Mike Woodson...even Mo Cheeks is better. The Sixers aren't that bad, huh? LOL...

Pete . . the NBA is about matchups. When a team doesn't have a significant talent advantage over another, the matchups will determine who will win the game.

Philly's frontline played excellent. JJ had an off game shooting the ball. And Smoove was pretty much a non-factor in the 2nd half.

Excuses? No. Facts.

That game was even, until Dre Miller took over. I guess inserting Ivey in the game would've prevented him from going off . . lol.

LOL @ a lay-up win for us. We never have lay-up wins over anybody. We beat Orlando on the road, but lose to the Sixers at home. Hey, those are your Atlanta Hawks.

• Premium Member

Well I think the nail in the coffin was early in the 4th when JC got his 5th (?) foul and we had to take him out. After that, Andre Miller went on a rampage.

Speedy was needed.

I think we had gotten down to 2 points behind at that point.. and after that, we never saw the light of day!