• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

If Gasol can go to the Celtics, there is no reason

capstone21

• Admin

why he can't come to the Hawks. We have many trade assets that can really entice Memphis to get Gasol here.

Some combination of Marvin, Sheldon, Zaza, Lue, Chill could get it done. Now before everyone overreacts. I am not saying all of those players.

However, you have to give up some quality to get quality. If that means Childress and SHeldon plus some second rounders then do it.

I would do a Marvin, Zaza, Lue for him. It would also help eliminate some of the redundancy we have too.

Quote:

why he can't come to the Hawks. We have many trade assets that can really entice Memphis to get Gasol here.

Some combination of Marvin, Sheldon, Zaza, Lue, Chill could get it done. Now before everyone overreacts. I am not saying all of those players.

SW has absolutely no trade value and MW's trade value is very low relative to his pick status. Al Jefferson can ball and interestingly enough he is a good post compliment for the likes of Rudy Gay (another reason they don't need or want MW).

We may have "many" trade assets but other than JS and JJ I don't see any substantial ones on the level of Jefferson. Blame BK, the time is coming to trade some players and all his draft picks save JS have less value now than their considered opposition and/or their draft position.

Quote:

However, you have to give up some quality to get quality.

I would do a Marvin, Zaza, Lue for him.

I'm still waiting for you to give up quality for Gasol.

W

I would love to get Gasol for any combination of the guys you mentioned, but in reality we have nothing Memphis would want. They have Gay and Warrick at forward and the only thing the Hawks have to trade are forwards.

Too bad our GM dug us into this hole.

I would try and package Marvin, Sheldon, Lue and Zaza to get Jefferson.

Memphis is looking for what all clubs want - draft picks, cap relief and quality players. Right now Atlanta can really only fill one of those requirements

Teams like Chicago and Boston have the young talent as well as draft picks and significant cap relief they can throw Memphis way.

(I don't really see Chicago parting with any of Deng, Hinrich, or Gordon)

• Premium Member

Quote:

Memphis is looking for what all clubs want - draft picks, cap relief and quality players. Right now Atlanta can really only fill one of those requirements

???

1. The Pacers' pick isn't going to be that far off from the Knicks' pick, and the Celtics are stupid if they offer their 07 pick.

2. The Hawks have as many "young players with potential" as Boston or Chicago, when you factor in which players Chicago is willing to trade.

3. Atlanta is the only of those three teams under the cap, so they can absorb nearly $7M of Gasol's contract before having to send $ back.

Quote:

Quote:

???

1. The Pacers' pick isn't going to be that far off from the Knicks' pick, and the Celtics are stupid if they offer their 07 pick.

2. The Hawks have as many "young players with potential" as Boston or Chicago, when you factor in which players Chicago is willing to trade.

3. Atlanta is the only of those three teams under the cap, so they can absorb nearly $7M of Gasol's contract before having to send $ back.

1. NY's pick is currently 8th - Indiana isn't in the lottery, and thats a big difference.

2. I'd agree - thats the one area I though Atlanta could compete with most other teams - depending on how Memphis rates players like J Smith, M Williams, or J Childress

3. I'd be lying if I said I didn't forget that Atlanta was way under the cap.

Looks like Atlanta could make good on at least two of the conditions Memphis is looking for. I still don't think that Indiana pick is going to wind up being very good - but time will tell.

• Premium Member

Who knows what will happen with the Knicks or Pacers...it's the Leastern Conference. I do think it's just as feasible for the Pacers to slip southward as it is for the Knicks to slip into first place in the Atlantic.

It's likely moot because of Atlanta's ownership situation...

MF, what package do you see getting it done for Chicago?

PJ + Sweetney + one of Ben -or- Deng???

Quote:

Who knows what will happen with the Knicks or Pacers...it's the Leastern Conference. I do think it's just as feasible for the Pacers to slip southward as it is for the Knicks to slip into first place in the Atlantic.

It's likely moot because of Atlanta's ownership situation...

MF, what package do you see getting it done for Chicago?

PJ + Sweetney + one of Ben -or- Deng???

I think West is asking for a package something like this:

PJ

One of Gordon or Deng

One of Rookies or Draft Pick

I think Paxson is willing to give up:

PJ

One rookie

draft picks

Gordon would be the perfect compliment to play with Gasol, and it would be foolish to give him up for Gasol. And Memphis is loaded at Wing/SF so i don't know what Deng does for them other than create playing time issues.

I honestly don't think a deal gets done unless West lowers his asking price significantly. I think Pax holds Gordon and Deng both with very high value - and won't part with them in any deal unless KG is involved.

As much as I hate to say it, I see a deal with Boston or another team getting done before Chicago.

Quote:

Quote:

???

I think Chicago is or will be 20 million under the cap. They merely replaced Chandler's contract last year, with Wallace's this year. I may be mistaken.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

???

I think Chicago is or will be 20 million under the cap. They merely replaced Chandler's contract last year, with Wallace's this year. I may be mistaken.

Chicago is not going to be under the cap for quite some time, unless I am mistaken. They just signed Wallace and Hinrich to some big deals last year. Here is what ESPN said coming into this year:

Quote:

The Hawks, Bobcats, Bulls, Clippers, Hornets, Raptors and Jazz are the only teams to have significant salary cap room this summer. For the most part it's all been spent.

• The Bulls spent most of their $17 million in cap room on free agent Ben Wallace, giving him a deal that starts at roughly $14 million per.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2516704

West is a smart man. He knows that Memphis is better than their record. He knows that this draft will make a champion (though we don't know who yet). He knows that somebody will pay a hefty price for Gasol and allow him to tank all the way to the #1 pick.

If he gets something like

Tyrus Thomas/Knicks unprotected pick

for Gasol, that will be huge.

West will end up with 2 of the top 5 rookies and two of the top 10 picks (and very likely Oden or Durant) in the draft next year.

On top of that, he will have cap space to use in the subsequent years.

Quote:

LMAO at Chicago trading the Knicks unprotected AND Tyrus (who was #2 overall). The rumored deal was like deng and something insignificant. Your trade proposal is simply idiotic.

How would trading Deng make anymore sense than trading Tyrus and the Knicks pick?

Deng is exactly 1 year older than Tyrus and is putting up 18 & 7. Paxson has repeatedly said that Deng is a part of the core. Deng might have more upside than anyone else on the team.

There is no way Pax lets that pick go unprotected - nobody but Isiah is that stupid (I hope).

Tyrus was the #4 pick in what was arguably one of the weaker drafts in the last decade. Tyrus might not have been a top 8 pick in the upcoming draft, and currently the knicks pick is slated for the 8th or 9th spot.

The only reason Paxson would be willing to sacrifice Deng or Tyrus would be financial reasons. If Reinsdirf is willing to pay than it would make sense to hold onto Deng and send Tyrus and the Pick for Gasol. A bird in the hand and whatnot.

Bulls lineup could be:

Hinrich / Duhon

Gordon / Sefolosha

Deng / Nocioni

Gasol / Nocioni

Wallace / Sweetney

IMHO none of this happens. Bulls don't get Gasol, and TT and Deng stay on the team.

And i don't think there is anyway that Pax parts with Gordon, although he seems to beincluded in every rumored Bulls trade by default.