• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Latest from Levenson

ATL_BALLER

My note:

Hi Mr. Levenson,

One quick question:

I saw this on a John Hollinger chat over at ESPN:

** Matt (Boston): Why aren't the Hawks major players in the trade market.

They have young talent, a top player in Joe Johnson, and a great defensive player in Josh Smith.

John Hollinger: Everything is on hold until the ownership snafu gets settled. If the current owners lose the team, as it seems they might, then the obvious thing to do is manage the team for the short-term and extract as much profit as possible. Which means deals that take on contracts are strictly verboten. **

Is that really the case? Are you completely handcuffed when it comes to making deals? I'm not sure what kind of contracts the court allows you to take on, but if you can shed some insight, I'd greatly appreciate it.

His reply:

We are not constrained as evidenced by our two free agent signings last summer. If a trade will make our tea.m better we will make it. Meanwhile, as we start to get players back the wins are coming .... Six out of the last ten. We hope to have speedy back friday.

Thoughts?

• Moderators

No matter what he will publically admit, the team has significant financial constraints. It doesn't mean they are totally paralyzed but look how hard it was just to sign Speedy this summer. No other team in the NBA would have to jump through hoops like that. Moreover, look at the Al Harrington deal. Levenson may see those as examples of us getting things done, but they are obviously examples of problems, IMO.

• Premium Member

I just have to say this...are some of you guys crazy? This is the internet age where a blog can become a quotable source and a message board rumor becomes THE HOT rumor of the day.

If Levenson ever admitted publically the truth of how handicapped the Spirit is it would be all over NBA sites like realgm or hoops or ESPN "Insider" and whatever else. Every team in the league would know (even more than they do now) just how hamstrung we are as a franchise.

There is no chance Levenson ever admits this publically and frankly you guys should be smart enough to realize this. People who don't post at Hawksquawk know that a Hawks owner posts here and they would spread that information. Heck some of the rumor mongers from ESPN and Fox Sports check this site out and would have that kind of information out there on the net in a heartbeat.

Quote:

I just have to say this...are some of you guys crazy? This is the internet age where a blog can become a quotable source and a message board rumor becomes THE HOT rumor of the day.

If Levenson ever admitted publically the truth of how handicapped the Spirit is it would be all over NBA sites like realgm or hoops or ESPN "Insider" and whatever else. Every team in the league would know (even more than they do now) just how hamstrung we are as a franchise.

There is no chance Levenson ever admits this publically and frankly you guys should be smart enough to realize this. People who don't post at Hawksquawk know that a Hawks owner posts here and they would spread that information. Heck some of the rumor mongers from ESPN and Fox Sports check this site out and would have that kind of information out there on the net in a heartbeat.

Agree completely and I don't think that he should. He's got to be in an impossble situation. Hope they make a deal, but I am not holding my breath.

Quote:

If 35 wins is the hallmark of our franchise then I think it pretty much sums up our franchise.

look dude I'm not getting into a flame war with you.

if you don't think going from 13 to 26 to 35 wins is showing improvement you're just looking for something to b!tch about.

Quote:

Quote:

If 35 wins is the hallmark of our franchise then I think it pretty much sums up our franchise.

if you don't think going from 13 to 26 to 35 wins is showing improvement you're just looking for something to b!tch about.

The only acceptable path is 13 to 26 to 13 to 70 (which is what Greg "Moshiach" Oden will bring us).

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The only acceptable path is 13 to 26 to 13 to 70 (which is what Greg "Moshiach" Oden will bring us).

well we've already won 15 so out with that plan.

NBA league audio isn't working and I am getting STEAMED!

Quote:

Quote:

What exactly does 35 wins prove? That the team is still bad?

that's 9 more than last year.

And have 2, lottery equivalent picks from the year before to add to your #2 overall pick and a MAX PLAYER, you should expect a bigger jump than from 13 to 26. That simply should have been a larger jump. If we win around 28-32 games this year the jump will continue to demonstrate fast diminishing returns which indicates a team capping out at 40-45 wins a year (since our cap space will be gone shortly even if we don't spend on other team's FAs but just our own).

W

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What exactly does 35 wins prove? That the team is still bad?

that's 9 more than last year.

And have 2, lottery equivalent picks from the year before to add to your #2 overall pick and a MAX PLAYER, you should expect a bigger jump than from 13 to 26. That simply should have been a larger jump. If we win around 28-32 games this year the jump will continue to demonstrate fast diminishing returns which indicates a team capping out at 40-45 wins a year (since our cap space will be gone shortly even if we don't spend on other team's FAs but just our own).

W

here's the problem Walt, you are asserting said picks or said contract holds X value. it's a fluid situation from year to year.

last year's draft sucked .

Quote:

last year's draft
sucked

Roy will be a 20/4/5 player in his prime, his prime will be very soon in coming, and it will last a good 5-8 years. I don't think that sucks at all. It only sucks if you draft terrible. Don't blame the draft, blame the GM.

W

• Premium Member

My thought is this..

Why do you keep bothering him. The facts are what they are. He will tell you the most optimistic story possible.. but the truth is businesswise, it doesn't make sense to make any major or almost major moves.

Quote:

I'm not trying to get into a flamewar with you either.
tongue.gif
However, I will and must point out that feeling 35 wins is some kind of achievement after four years of rebuilding is simply defeatism at its best.

You have a very good point there Sothron...but you are looking at it as the "Hawks to the Championship"

BK ain't looking at it that way.

BK want's steady improvement from the lowest spot he could get to come up from. That's 13-26-30/34 "with injuries". It's all about the money pal.

BK wins 30 games and looks like a phookin hero. 30 Games suuuuucks - I know it - you know it - but many will buy it.

and ASG will buy it. mad.gif