• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Sheldon's shoulder injury ?

coachx

Does anyome know any details of Sheldon's shouler injury ?

In fairness to Sheldon, this injury may be more severe than many of us realize.

No one said Sheldon was the most NBA ready player in the draft. Peope said he was the most NBA READY POST PLAYER IN THE DRAFT. A post player is exactly what we needed. He is the #1 rookie in rebounding with a bum shoulder.

Many have accused of him of being lazy.

Watching him at Duke he would dive on the floor and make hustle plays. It appears the injury is taking away a lot of that.

Baketball is played with hands held high above your shoulders when shooting, rebounding, or blocking shots, not to mention diving on the floor for loose balls. A shoulder injury would directly effect all of the things.

My only point is I will hold off my judgments on Sheldon untill I see play healthy. I would not call him a bum.

Can any one shed light on the injury ?

Get ready for tons of angry 'bust' posts.

I'm in the same boat as you. I loathe Dukies, but I want to give him a chance. He was the 2-time college DPOY, which has to count for something.

I liked the touch pass he gave to JJ that became a turnover. You need Basketball IQ to do something like that.

Same thing with Marvin. Despite playing with back spasm and shooting slump, he had a bullet pass to Shelden under the basket that was simply brilliant. They will be beautiful to watch when they will be ready.

The last two first round picks scored 1 points combined, only to be outshined by the last two free agent signees who scored 2 points.

Soccer score:

Speedy+Lo 2

MW+SW 1

Quote:

I liked the touch pass he gave to JJ that became a turnover. You need Basketball IQ to do something like that.

Same thing with Marvin. Despite playing with back spasm and shooting slump, he had a bullet pass to Shelden under the basket that was simply brilliant. They will be beautiful to watch when they will be ready.

The last two first round picks scored 1 points combined, only to be outshined by the last two free agent signees who scored 2 points.

Soccer score:

Speedy+Lo 2

MW+SW 1

one game makes a career in the NBA I guess huh.

He's the fastest marginalized top 5 pick in the history of sports including Kijana Carter. Well maybe not quite that marginalized. He didn't suffer so many injuries...but you get the point.

He didn't sublux or dislocate his shoulder, no labral tear or RC tear or else he would have missed serious time. He just strained/sprained it at worst. If he is so close to being awful that a strain/sprain 2.5 months ago has him playing god awful, then he's worse than I thought.

SW will never be a bust because nobody thought he'd be any good anyhow. He's just appearing like a lesser, lesser, lesser ROLE PLAYER!

W

Walter, I sympathize - I was not a Shelden fan either. He was not even a consideration for the 5th pick by me (I really thought he was a decoy) - however we did pick him and he's a Hawk now. And a rookie. And with a bum shoulder. So I am willing to give him some time.

I think we all got our hopes up with all the hype about him being "ready now" - that was obviously wrong and was probably unfair to Shelden. I don't recall Smoove or Childress doing that great their first year either - they are just now starting to show what they can really do. Let's give SW the same chance.

(That doesn't mean we shouldn't slam BK for being incompetent.)

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

He's the fastest marginalized top 5 pick in the history of sports including Kijana Carter.

W

How many examples do you need to admit that you are incapable of objective rational thinking?

That is an impressive overstatement.

I still think Shelden projects to be a 12/10 PF if given the minutes. He won't get the minutes with us, though. Not sure how much better he will be than Reggie Evans.

Anyway, I wanted Roy/Millsap. Millsap and Shelden are pretty much the same, plus you get a star guard to go with him. I thought it was a no-brainer, but most people told me I was wrong on both picks.

• Premium Member

"Sheldon who?" sums up any thoughts on Shellhead that aren't expressly negative. I don't think I have ever seen a "NBA ready!" rookie fall so completely on his face than Shellhead has. Is Claxton averaging more blocks per game than "Landlord" now?

defense is more than blocks and steals. alot of the time post scoring goes down when sheldon is on the floor. i think roy would have made a bigger impact on this team, but in no way can you say sheldon's play is negative. if anything its positive seeing as though the offense gets easier when he's on the floor setting picks and getting his teamates open looks.

• Premium Member

Its positive for the other team, absolutely! The things he can't do:

Score in the post

Score in the wings

Score in the lane

Score at all

Play any low post defense

Block

Be any kind of defensive "threat" in the middle

Steal

Pass

Run the court

The thing he can do:

Shoots a nice free throw for a forward

I'm sure the opposing team loves watching him lumber his way up and down the court. I know I do. tongue.gif

sheldon runs the court, plays low post defense, and stops most players that try to bully in the lane. the only players that had their way with him were howard, jefferson, okafor and bosh and they have their way with everybody. last year before he got here jameer nelson was getting layup drills on us. this year he doesn't get past 15 pts in any game. the only PG to have his way was TJ ford and calderon and that was when speedy and lue were both just getting back from injuries and were unable to slow them down before sheldon could get a chance at getting in the lane. to say that sheldon doesn't help in terms of being a defensive threat is absurd and would get shot down immediately if you talked to anyone close to the NBA. just because he doesn't send balls to the fifth row like josh smith doesn't mean he doesn't play defense.

Quote:

Its positive for the other team, absolutely! The things he can't do:

Score in the post

Score in the wings

Score in the lane

Score at all

Play any low post defense

Block

Be any kind of defensive "threat" in the middle

Steal

Pass

Run the court

The thing he can do:

Shoots a nice free throw for a forward

I'm sure the opposing team loves watching him lumber his way up and down the court. I know I do.
tongue.gif

This is bullshit! He can steal the ball, he can pass, he can play low post defense, he can shoot and he is even shooting 50% from 3 point range if you want to go by the stats. Stop pulling staff out your ass and watch the damn game.

Quote:

We just need to "teach him how to win" and we'll be fine.

LOL - Good one. I guess that's why I never made it in the NBA - nobody ever "taught me how to win" grin.gif

(besides my being 5'11" and slow).

P.S. JW: I loved the typo: "He seemed very important to the flaw of the games."