• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hollinger interview about the Hawks

exodus

I don't see why Memphis wouldn't go for MW/Zaza/Indy pick for Gasol. They could sell it as a "youth movement" or something (even though Gasol isn't old).

If the trade would work $$-wise??

Let's face it - the real prize for Memphis is Oden or Durant. Neither Zaza or MW are likely gonna get them a bunch of wins this year - MW is so young he still has a great upside - and Zaza could back up Oden next year. They could then take BPA with our Indy pick.

If they get Durant instead - they look at either giving Marvin a shot at the 4 - or more realistically - repackaging him for for a 5.

If they get neither they just do the best they can.

But they have to gamble for a shot at a franchise player in the future one way or the other (meaning tank this year). The stakes are too high this year not to try.

For us we lose MW but we have redundant forward assets - we lose Zaza but gain a real post presence - and we lose a pick that wouldn't likely help us for awhile anyway.

Since we are in the "win now" mode...why not?

• Premium Member

Hollinger is also right that we don't need some great offensive post player to have inside scoring. Offensively, we don't do enough plays that end up at the rim. Mainly because we do a lot of jump shooting. We should have more pick and rolls that end up at the rim.. the other night, Zaza/Speedy pick and roll ended up with Zaza going strong to the rim. We should be able to do the same thing with Shelden, Smoove, Marvin, and Chillz.

We also do a terrible job of taking advantage of our "speed" in the transition game. Our strength is running. Smoove realizes this. Chillz seems to get it.. and we do it OK with Speedy on the floor. However, JJ cannot bring the ball up and we plan to run! Part of our problem in fast breaks is that teams hit a high percentage of their shots against us. So we have to first, stop the other team from scoring. Loren Woods! Solomon Jones! Somehow we have to have more defensive pressure.

Quote:

I don't see why Memphis wouldn't go for MW/Zaza/Indy pick for Gasol. They could sell it as a "youth movement" or something (even though Gasol isn't old).

Uh...maybe because Marvin and Zaza haven't done anything and they can do much better dealing with Boston or Chicago.

Quote:

Quote:

Uh...maybe because Marvin and Zaza haven't done anything and they can do much better dealing with Boston or Chicago.

Yes - but what do they want to do this year? Main goal should be to have the worst record in the league at this point to have the best shot at Oden/Durant. If they get some talent from Boston or Chicago they could miss out (and Boston is in full tank so they can't afford to take Pau and go on a winning streak either).

Marvin can still develop - help them down the road - and not endanger their record this year. Win/win!

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes - but what do they want to do this year? Main goal should be to have the worst record in the league at this point to have the best shot at Oden/Durant. If they get some talent from Boston or Chicago they could miss out (and Boston is in full tank so they can't afford to take Pau and go on a winning streak either).

Marvin can still develop - help them down the road - and not endanger their record this year. Win/win!

I would bet that their main target is Jefferson. it doesn't make sense to trade Gasol without getting a big in return. They just drafted Gay and they drafted Warrick last year. I don't see why they would want marvin whose production here has been minimal. And Zaza sucks.

You are just basing everything on tanking but i bet West wants to get a little more value for a Gasol trade.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I would bet that their main target is Jefferson. it doesn't make sense to trade Gasol without getting a big in return. They just drafted Gay and they drafted Warrick last year. I don't see why they would want marvin whose production here has been minimal. And Zaza sucks.

You are just basing everything on tanking but i bet West wants to get a little more value for a Gasol trade.

Zaza doesn't suck. We also have to consider that Zaza is still young as well. I am telling you that if Zaza was on the open market he'd get 50 million dollars.

Quote:

Memphis would laugh at that trade and probably any other realistic trade that we could offer without Smith or JJ.

If Gasol gets dealt it will most likely be to Boston or Chicago. I would bet Boston.

Boston loves Jefferson and believes he'll be an allstar. Memphis wants Boston to be out of Odom hunt by giving them Gasol. I don't think Ainge is that stupid.