• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Childress' 'passivity' on offense is a problem

HAWKS1986

On the surface, Chillz stats look respectable (i.e. FG%, rebounding). However, the Hawks need for him to be more assertive offensively (along with Marvin) if this team is ever going to take that 'next step'.

It is very rare that I see him make plays at the end of games. And as a former first round pick, we need to see more 20+ point nights out of him especially when Joe is not having a good night or Josh Smith is in foul trouble and sitting on the bench...

Before Joe came along, Childress was seen as the 'elder' of the young guys, but his passiveness and lack of 'urgency' is something that hurts the Hawks and limits Chillz potential...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iggy plays with more 'passion' on both sides of the ball-- offensively and defensively... I am not surprised he has been able to string 20+ point nights together and has elevated his game since Iverson's departure... with Josh, we MAY get a 'good' night once every four or five games..and that's NOT GOOD ENOUGH...and management needs to let him know that.. This is his THIRD YEAR....Players such as Ben Gordon, Hinrich, Dwight Howard and others have taken their games to another level..EVEN JOSH SMITH !!!

To me, its my opinion, Iggy wants to be good..while Josh is going along for the ride and just collecting a check...

The Hawks NEED Childress to be more of a force NOW... not hiding and on the floor and chip with a few points...

Quote:

If you want to see 20 ppg nights check this out

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/andre_iguoda...game_stats.html

That doesn't even include the 27 pts he had tonight.

Iggy is their #1 option and only averaging about 4 more points than Chill, who is the 3rd or 4th option on our team of the bench. Imagine Chill in Philly along side Andre Miller. Chill can move without the ball better than Iggy and Miller would find him all the time.

Quote:

and the Childress bashing begins..

Just because he passed the ball to a NBDLeaguer.

Here is other scenerios:

1.Josh Childress goes to the hoop and gets fouled, hits 2 free throws, we win the game and he is GREAT.

2. Josh Childress goes to the hoop and gets blocked or commits a charge and he sucks of course.

3. Josh Childress passes to Jeremy and he hits a shot and everybody is proud of the kid and Childress of making the great pass.

Childress found an open teamate, it's not his fault if he is a Dleaguer or a superstar. He did his part, just have to knock the jumper and game over. He did the right thing tonight, but he is too passive sometimes.

Look, I think Childress is a good player, but I wanted Iguodala with our #6 pick (I bet you I can find the quote), and I still think Iggy is the best player.

Childress is a fine supporting player, and I would be very reluctant to trade him. I think he's exactly the kind of player you need...to support 3 other star players. Doesn't hog the ball. Ultimate team player.

I really think Childress is seriously flawed. He is way too slow to get by anyone that is good. He cant shoot a jumper in traffic because he shots so damn low. He has some nice skills but this guy will be nothing more then ok role player. Im sick of this guy passing the ball in crunch time shoot the freaking ball. He is really alot slower then many of the people he is covering. Iggy is way better then Childress not bashing but Iggy overall talent including amazing defense is way better then Childress.

Why discuss the decision to draft Childress over Deng and Iggy. It wasn't the right move for a host of reasons to draft JC over Deng or Iggy BUT I like the way he plays. He's a decent enough player who if paired with a team with 2 to 3 other near superstars would mesh well. I'll take that I-F we get a near superstar post player or better.

Otherwise I'll wear out my BK draft blind dart board all the more.

W

The problem I have with Chillz is the same I have with Shel - they were drafted too high for what they are (or will ever be). I'm not sure that's their fault, though.

When building a team, you need guys like Chillz and Shel - but Billy uses lottery picks on em....

Going back on drafts does nothing but make people crazy. We have a decent team here. Yes we're young, but in the East - we should be able to hang a little bit better. We're only 5 previous losses being wins from being around .500. Gimme the Sonics game, the Bulls game, the Jazz game, tonights game, and the Lakers game (which we should have won had we played worth a darn in the first half) and we're 23-25....

That's not that far off. The games I picked, I just picked off the top of my head. Throw in one of the Bobcats games and we're 24-24 right now.

It would help if we had a legit big man that actually discouraged shots, and a decent poing guard that could stay healthy - other than that we're not too bad.

Joe's the scorer

Josh is the Shawn Marion of the team

Marvin's the Rashard Lewis to Joe's Ray Allen

Chillz is the energy, versitle 6th man. He's efficient, he doesn't need plays called for him, he's active, he stays out of the way and let's his points come to him.

Shel the (ideally) soft double-double guy. The PJ Brown, the Kurt Thomas, etc. Just gimme 10 and 10 and we're good. I'm disappointed in his defense, though. I thought he'd have a little bit more impact in terms of changing shots, etc.

I don't have a problem building around those five guys - but we need a healthy point guard and some sort of big man that's worth something defensively.

Unfortunately, without a coach... I'm not sure any of this will materialize...

I think the Hawks are coming to a 'crossroads' with Childress. He is not an 'energy' player... Maxiell in Detroit is an energy player...Monte Ellis in Golden State is an 'energy' player..Gerald Wallace of Charlotte is an 'energy' player..Desmond Mason of Charlotte or JR Smith of Denver are 'energy' players...

Childress has a good game every once in awhile, but too many times he is often passive offensively and ghost on defense more times than not...

He has been in the league nearly four years and still needs to gain another 10 to 15 pounds...Childress is a soft player who gets push around too much and his offensive game doesn't put very much pressure on opposing defenses..in terms of drawing fouls and/or getting to the free throw line..

Childress hasn't shown he is the 'future' here in Atlanta, and his passivity negates some of the things he occassionally does well..

Childress isn't the sole problem, but he is a FORMER TOP 10 pick who is playing 28 to 35 minutes a game and starting on a nightly basis... and often he is absent when the game is 'on the line' or in doubt...

• Premium Member

Quote:

Iggy was putting up 20 point games before miller got there, after Iverson was sidelined.

As a first option, wouldn't you expect that??? Go back and look at the 2004-2005 season stats.. After Al went down in injury, I think it was the month of March. Chillz and Smoove were our leaders... Look at their scoring then. Both were close to the 18 ppg mark.. and they both were Rookies..

I would expect Iggy to be putting up 20 ppg as a first option with nobody else really being a scorer on that team.

This Chillz bashing is stupid.

What did Chill score when JJ was out? How about when Marvin was out? Smoove?

Childress could never be the number 1 option because he can't create at all. That isn't saying that he isn't a helpful player. However he simply isn't as good as Deng or Iggy.

I think it is telling that the 2 key players on the Hawks aren't guys that BK picked in the lottery.

It's a whole team thing. They all stand around and watch Joe. Only Josh Smith (of the young talent) makes an effort to go at it. He seems to make an effort to take the pressure off of Joe. Marvin especially needs to be more aggressive. You see at the end of the game the positive things that happen when he is aggressive. He'll make mistakes sure, but he'll learn from those mistakes.

I think Chill has resigned himself to the fact that he is a glue guy and things of himself as doing all the little things. He has been taking it to the hole more. I think the only thing he's not aggressive enough on, is hitting the open shot.

I think Shelden also needs to be more aggressive. The quicker we get someone who has some time of lost post consistent game, the better we will become on kickouts.

Quote:

Go back and check before you put up random DA statements.

I would assume you know the difference between a statement and a question right?

The Hawks are right at the bottom of the league in scoring. If Childress has the ability to score over 20 then what is he waiting for?