• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks' pieces don't fit | AJC's Mark Bradley

Guest MLibid

Quote:

The real question that should be asked is when...when is this team going to finally get someone competent in the front office? When it isn't Babcock denonating the franchise with the J.R. Rider and Danny Manning deals, its BK spending top dollar on backup point guards (see Claxton, Craig) and wasting away draft picks. The Hawks still haven't drafted an All-Star since the Reagon-Mondale days thanks to these guys. Swim that in your heads for a minute. Twenty-three freakin' years have passed since they last drafted an All-Star player (Kevin Willis). Even Wikipedia mentions that it's the longest such drought in North American pro sports.

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction so says my Physics book. If Chris Paul or Deron Williams is here, the Hawks would've been contenders for the 8th seed last year AT WORST and wouldn't have been in position to blow the 5th pick because they would be drafting much lower. Even if SW was available with the lower pick, we wouldn't be riding on his ass nearly as much because a 17th pick would've been used on him instead of the 5th. Childress and Smith would be on the same level with the same, if not better numbers as Deng or Iguodala if they had a guy like, you guessed it, Paul or Williams getting them the ball where they could be more successful. Why would you pass on a guy your team so desperately needs, then turn around and pay big $$$ to bring his oft-injured backup in, I have no idea.

But these are the Hawks we all know and love. They've been rudderless for over a decade now (and nope, AOL, Kasten, and Babs don't count) with little relief in sight. Talk about your everyday corporate criminals. They've had tons of picks and cap space to use to bring in talent over the last few years, yet only have 3 legit players who would start on the majority of other teams in the league. The rest are career backups (see Claxton, Wright, Pachulia, Lue, Slava), role players (both Williamses until they show me MUCH more), and NBDL pickups (the rest of them). That's not my opinion, folks; that's FACT.

i got two thoughts. one, exactly the same. other, not so much. why? it's easy to say we should've gotten this player or that player. but if we got that player. will he develope into that player? for example, john stockton and karl malone. would john stockton be john stockton without karl malone and would karl malone be karl malone without stockton? or would they become the hall of famers without jerry sloan and his coaching/developing staff? or if all the coaching staff and the two guys were together but not played in utah, let say, portland. would it be the same? things happened for reasons. why us suck so bad and for so long after so many management/owner changed? why some other great so for long and so great? ok lakers have the money but what about, the spurs? or suns?