• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Brandon Roy is averaging 6.2 APG the last 5 games

Guest Walter

playing Sg for Portland. Man, he'd make a lousy Pg for us next to JJ. Lousy I tell you. I'm thankful we have SW .5 BPG over Roy's 20 PPG, 6 APG, 3 RPG, and 1 SPG.

Roy makes fools of all of you "he can't play Pg" crowd. He might not play it in Portland with Jack and Sergio, both better than Speedy IMHO, but he DAMN sure could and he and JJ would [censored] own opposing teams' backcourts.

W

Nah, those numbers are really Monopoly numbers; they aren't real. We all know that two 6'6" guys in the backcourt who can pass, shoot, and defend never works in this league, especially in the rugged East where everyone's a top contender for the title.

I tried to buy into the Williams pick when he started out better than I thought but the last several games have unfortunately proven my first instincts correct. I know SW's shoulder is bad but man aren't Roy's numbers tempting to have on this team, which is now 29th in the league in scoring. Roy could've made people forget about the Chris Paul/Deron Williams fiasco of 18 months ago (sort of).

That's what we got, a sg who averages high assists per game in Joe. What we need is a PG who can defend PG's and get some assists as well. We don't need a same type of sg like Joe, we got one.

Boris Diaw is averaging 5.2 assists per game on the season, he can be our pg.

Heck we can get KG and put him in that PG spot he averages 4.4 apg for the season.

Quote:

That's what we got, a sg who averages high assists per game in Joe.
What we need is a PG who can defend PG's and get some assists as well.
We don't need a same type of sg like Joe, we got one.

What on earth is wrong with having two JJs? Please tell me. When the choice is Shelden [censored] Williams or a 2nd JJ, what in hell would have you choose a Pf who was a lame duck the day he was drafted?!? Frankly, Roy has more Pg skills than JJ had coming out and in if called upon to be a Pg, particularly next to JJ, would step up and play it better than anyone we've had since JT from day one. JJ and Roy would be the best backcourt tandem in the league in 1-2 years. Hands down.

Quote:

Unlike Diaw, Roy can score 20+ and dish out 6+ on any given night AS A ROOKIE! How [censored] stupid do you have to be to dismiss that?

Quote:

Heck we can get KG and put him in that PG spot he averages 4.4 apg for the season.

KG at Pg is better than SW anywhere.

W

Quote:

Quote:

What on earth is wrong with having two JJs? Please tell me.

Look above that sentence in BOLD. We need a PG who can defend other PG's.

W

Quote:

Quote:

[/indent]

Quote:

Quote:

[/indent]

Quote:

[/indent]

• Premium Member

C'mon Walt OBVIOUSLY the more NBA ready player and BEST big man of last year's draft is more valuable to us than a versatile 6'6 guard with great handles and scoring touch. Those .5 blocks a game are literally terrifying the "tenants" in the LANDLORD'S block.

i don't mind either shelden or roy last year because i wanted a senior coming to this young team. i know either one people will tell roy isn't a true point guard(but he played some of his junior year and senior year as a point guard) and shelden is too short to play either 4 or 5. we needed/needing too much help and there was no quick fix. i'm also getting impatient just like you guys but.. but i guess i'll wait one more year. of course unless woodson get his contract renew this summer. oh boy...

Quote:

C'mon Walt OBVIOUSLY the more NBA ready player and BEST big man of last year's draft is more valuable to us than a versatile 6'6 guard with great handles and scoring touch. Those .5 blocks a game are literally terrifying the "tenants" in the LANDLORD'S block.

...that we shouldn't want Roy's 20/5/4/1 on any given night right now over SW's 5/4/0.5. I also hate STILL hearing about SW's strained shoulder (from 2-3 months ago) when Roy broke his foot at the same time and still punks his sorry ass.

My own landlord scares me more than SW's does any NBA player. There is nothing scary about a 6'7", unathletic, short vertical reach Pf with an actual overall height reducing forehead.

W

Hello everyone, meet Walterina, queen of the belittlement. Debate is hardly an meaningful word to her highness. No no, it must insult all who disagree with her. Especially with her experience as a general manager of a basketball team, scouting, playing, and coaching in the NBA, she knows more than the rest of us, as the rest of us just watch basketball as a spectator. Yes, she is Walterina and her word must be always true. Just ask her husband.

• Premium Member

I know its chic to make fun of Walter and essentially write him off as a negative troll but I honestly don't see how anyone can really disagree our team right NOW would be better with Roy instead of Williams. I really can't see that.

Quote:

Let me ask you a question. Who has more trade value, Roy or Williams? That is one of the biggest reasons that Roy should have been picked. When you pick that high you do not take role players like Williams, you take players who could end up being stars or very good players. If Roy duplicates Johnson then awesome we have a commodity from which we can get alot of value back. Our jack a$$ gm doesn't understand logical concepts like this. This is why the Hawks have stunk and continue to stink.

Good point. Roy has much more trade value RIGHT NOW than SW will probably ever have. You simply don't draft role players you've never worked out before to come off your bench with the 5th pick, especially after 7 consecutive losing seasons. That's what late round picks and 2nd-3rd tier free agent veterans are for.

The pick made perfect sense. We had the worst interior D in the NBA and Shelden was the most polished interior defender in the draft.

Right now Shelden is playing with a bad shoulder. What's the big deal? Well someone who absorbs contact like him playing with a bad shoulder is like Brandon Roy trying to play with a bad ankle.

• Premium Member

Well if we want to ignore the fact that he didn't want to come here....

I guess we could have relived the Steve Francis you've been drafted by Vancouver History.

I'm sorry.. If a guy turns down the opportunity to come and work out for us and doesn't make the attempt to reschedule... Then I don't want him.

You guys are looking at how good Sally Jones looks now, but you forget that Sally Jones stood us up on prom night...

Pathetic!

• Premium Member

This Sally Jones never said in no uncertain terms "There is no chance in hell I would play for "X" team" though. Fairly large difference. Shellhead didn't work out once for this team either and that didn't keep Knight from drafting him.

Quote:

playing Sg for Portland. Man, he'd make a lousy Pg for us next to JJ. Lousy I tell you. I'm thankful we have SW .5 BPG over Roy's 20 PPG, 6 APG, 3 RPG, and 1 SPG.

Roy makes fools of all of you "he can't play Pg" crowd. He might not play it in Portland with Jack and Sergio, both better than Speedy IMHO, but he DAMN sure could and he and JJ would [censored] own opposing teams' backcourts.

W

It's obvious that you haven't watched Portland play. Because if you have, you'd see that Roy gets the vast majority of his assists by passing to open jumpshooters like Juan Dixon and Martell Webster . . not because he can run the point. He'd be as about as effective as Chill has been running the point, assist wise, while shooting a far lower percentage from the field than Chill.

Go check out his game stats on 82games.com. You'll see some interesting stuff.

- His shooting percentage is WAY DOWN when he plays the point, as opposed to when he plays the SG. ( 38% vs 50% )

- His defense is pretty bad right now, seeing that PGs shoot over 50% against him at the point, and SG shoot a whopping 60% against him. He can't even begin to defend against quicker PGs, and he has major problems defending against decent 2's.

- 70% of his shots are jumpers, which is common for a SG . . uncommon for a PG . . unless he was a Hawks PG, seeing that both Lue and Speedy see more than 75% of their shots being jumpers.

All Roy would give us, is another young shooter to put out on the floor, and not necessarily a very good one either. He's a kid, who, if he stays at SG, will be a good player in this league. But right now, he needs to develop his game, not try to be some type of hybrid PG, like what Miami tried to do with Steve Smith back in the day.

Roy at the point wouldn't make us a more efficient offensive ballclub, and it definitely wouldn't make us a better defensive one.

That's why our GM passed on the kid, and went to address the interior defensive issues, by drafting Shelden. We can debate all day if Shelden is/was the answer on the inside. But Roy wouldn't have helped this team in the ways that you think he would. He's a guy that needs good PGs around him to maximize his talent.

Walter . . you need to watch games and players, and not just look at stats, before you make an assessment on how a player will do for us. He just wouldn't have been the right fit for us, even if he does turn out to be a good player. If he can't play his natural position, the he'd be no use to us in the long run.