• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If we went 0-4 on the west coast trip

jerrywest

Quote:

What would be your reaction?
tempted.gif

There's no way we can tank now but I still believe we need a legit, star post presence to contend and this franchise can't expect to get it through the draft without a top 3 pick or FAcy without resolved ownership. That leaves a trade, which isn't a bad option considering there is NO WAY IN HELL we'll manage to keep all of our forward prospects. Might as well trade 1 or 2, commit to and (eventually) resign the others, and supplement our team with a mid-1st, the Jeremy Rich. guy I like, and other small pieces.

Gasol would be my choice in trade as he seems readily available, has proven he can make a nobody team a playoff team the past few years, is in his same prime as JJ, can pair well with JS to block and alter many, MANY shots, is a good passing big, and can post score with the best of them. I will also add, should Howard as a RFA somehow be determined to come here after next year, Gasol would be the best trade bait we have in order to get it done.

Without some serious post presence we'll always fall short. However, I am impressed with the february run to date. JS as I have always said is the best prospect we have. After getting a post presence, locking JS up is the most important move this franchise has. Then getting a Pg prospect. It used to be a big, then Pg, then it's prospects. JS has played his way into #2.

W

• Admin

I actually agree with you.

We have a very glaring hole in the post. It was very obvious last night. We need a legitmate post player. Right now we have a team of jump shooters and slashers. We need a guy who can be a threat in the post to take the pressure off of jj. Gasol is the perfect fit and we have the pieces to get him. It is just not going to happen unfortnately due to ownership and things like that.

Quote:

Quote:

What would be your reaction?
tempted.gif

That leaves a trade, which isn't a bad option considering there is NO WAY IN HELL we'll manage to keep all of our forward prospects. Might as well trade 1 or 2, commit to and (eventually) resign the others, and supplement our team with a mid-1st, the Jeremy Rich. guy I like, and other small pieces.

Wrong again Walter.

- Marvin isn't going ANYWHERE . . unless that trade nets us a very good PG or a very good C . . things that most teams aren't willing to part with. He's locked in through the 08 - 09 season at least. Even if he doesn't turn into a star, he'd be a very good complimentary piece to have on this team. The only way this guy gets traded, is if he regresses tremendously next season, or if a very good PG becomes disgruntled with his current team, and asks to be traded. Otherwise, Marvin is almost guaranteed to be a Hawk for the next 2.5 years.

- Re-sign Smoove by the middle of next season . . possibly locking him up for a deal somewhere in the 55 - 60 million range, over the next 5 years. That would be my first offer to Smoove, to try to deter anybody from making an offer to him other than a MAX deal. And if someone does offer him the MAX, the Hawks should immeadiately match it, locking Smoove in for another 5 - 6 years. Unless Smoove wants to leave ATL and be "the man" by himself, and not the 2nd star on this team, he's not going anywhere either.

- Chill could possibly be traded, but he's unlikely to get a big time RFA offer from a team needing a SF. Therefore, the Hawks could re-sign Chill for a deal somewhere around 6 - 7 million per year for 5 or 6 years . . or maybe less. It's like I told you guys at the beginning of the season, Chill, Marvin, and Smoove will ALL play at least 30 minutes a game. I don't see that changing in the near future, even if we do add a PG or if Speedy starts playing better. The versatility of these three guys allows each of them to be on the court doing different things at different times.

- Shelden can be locked in through the 2010 season . . or he could be let go at the end of the 2008 season. If he becomes that solid player to back up our frontline people, it's unlikely the Hawks will deal him either. If not, the Hawks have the option to let him go as early as the summer of 2008.

But it's a very good possibility that all four of these guys can stay with this team for at least the next 2.5 years. Now, when Marvin's next contract comes up in 2009, that may be a different story. We may have to deal him, or guys like Chill and Shelden, to make room for Marvin's big contract, depending on how good of a player Marvin is at that time.

Then we'll have to deal with the BIG ISSUE . . re-signing JJ, if need be. By that time, this team may be willing to spend over the cap, if we have a team that is capable of contending for the East title.

And I know people have already given up on Speedy, but they shouldn't. If Speedy can ever get healthy, you'll see a more efficient player playing the PG, and that won't even be an issue anymore.

After the 2008 season, the guys that probably won't be here, are ZaZa, Lue, Ren, Ivey and Salim. By that time, we'll have Indy's draft pick from this year and the mid 2nd round pick . . and our 1st round pick from the 2008 draft to add to the team, plus maybe one or two FA big men to add to the team.

So your 2008 - 09 Hawks could very well look like this:

G - Speedy

G - JJ

F - Marvin

F - Smoove

C - Big man FA pick up ( Magloire? . . who will be overpaid by whomever obtains his services, unless he goes to a team on the cheap, and just wants to win a title. )

G/F - Childress ( 6th man . . and maybe even a candidate for 6th Man of the Year by this time. )

G - 2007 or 08 Draft pick ( Acie Law - Texas A&M? . . the more I watch this kid, the more I like him. And he's not afraid to take and make a big shot. He's not a pure PG though, but a very good scoring PG. )

G - FA pick up ( Chris Duhon? . . it'll be interesting to see what kind of money he commands in the summer of 2008. A team may be able to get him for around 4 million per. )

F - Shelden

F - Solomon

F/C - 07 or 08 Draft Pick ( Randolph Morris - Kentucky? . . depending on how high or low his stock rises or drops. If he comes out this year, he may be a mid-1st round pick. If he comes out in 2008, he may go higher. )

C - Free Agent pick up ( Kwame Brown? . . He'll probably get a 4 year deal at about 6 - 7 million per, in the summer of 2008. Maybe this will be the time to go after Kwame . . Or it'll be some stiff to fill the bench. )

With Chill being able to play 3 positions on this team, he may inherit the role as the backup PG, especially if Speedy plays like he's capable of playing. Another PG might be drafted in the coming years, to play spot minutes or be groomed to eventually take over for Speedy. Another big man will definitely be drafted. And we'll be able to get a few free agents in here, to possibly help the core guys out.

The one thing we don't need to do, is trade one of our forwards, for a mediocre center or PG. We can just as easily find one in the draft or in free agency . . if BK wants one.

Quote:

Wrong again Walter.

What? Please tell me the exact words I said that are "wrong". I want quotes. Cite me and tell me exactly why I am wrong. None of this "your wrong" and then going off about how you're right when either you aren't or there is no difference in what we're saying. How EXACTLY was I wrong.

Let me help you understand. I've altered some of your bold-happiness.

Quote:

- Marvin isn't going ANYWHERE . .
unless that trade nets us a very good PG or a very good C
. . things that most teams aren't willing to part with.

First, my deal suggestion for Gasol was JC O-R MW, SW or ZaZa, and the Indy pick or our 2009 top 3 protected for Gasol and perhaps Lowry all essentially Memphis' choice. Who knows whether they want JC or MW.

Regardless, who in their right mind could see us acquiring a Sg or Sf with MW. That leaves Pgs, Pfs, and Cs. Gasol is a Pf/C and as he ages more will be a C. He's certainly better than "very good". In otherwords, how eactly is POTENTIALLY trading MW in a package for an excellent Pf/C significantly different from what you suggest much less "wrong again". Please be specific instead of lazy and insulting.

Quote:

Re-sign Smoove by the middle of next season . . possibly locking him up for a deal somewhere in the 55 - 60 million range, over the next 5 years.

Didn't I just state that JS had just played resigning him into the 2nd most important personel decision behind a post presence/C and ahead of a Pg prospect. BTW, with our ownership troubles we have a 4 year limit on contracts. Anyhow, what's new here or "wrong again" about what I said. Please, be specific and not lazy and insulting.

Quote:

- Chill could possibly be traded, but he's unlikely to get a big time RFA offer from a team needing a SF. Therefore, the Hawks could re-sign Chill for a deal somewhere around 6 - 7 million per year for 5 or 6 years . . or maybe less.

First, Childress may be compelled to sign elsewhere so he could potentially start and he could easily sign for the MLE which by then won't be much smaller than the starting $6 million you are proposing. Regardless, I made the point about the cfact that if we sign JS and another of our own FAs, we may be technically "able" to sign the rest of our prospects but we could not afford to do so! Tell me how that is "wrong again"!?! How could we sign JS and JC to a starting of $16 million, have that go up to $18 million when MW's contract is up, and still AFFORD TO sign MW? Let's say MW signs for $9 million starting. We can't commit $27 million to these guys early in their contracts, another $12 to JJ's max, and still fill out a credible team!?!

Quote:

- Shelden can be locked in through the 2010 season . . or he could be let go at the end of the 2008 season. If he becomes that solid player to back up our frontline people, it's unlikely the Hawks will deal him either. If not, the Hawks have the option to let him go as early as the summer of 2008.

The mere question that we might not lock in SW indicates just how horrible of a top 5 pick he was. Does anyone think Roy would not be locked up? No. Regardless, what exactly does this have to do with me being "wrong again"? The fact is you imply SW was a mistake pick. You agree with me whether or not you would admit it.

Quote:

But it's a very good possibility that all four of these guys can stay with this team for at least the next 2.5 years.

Do the math! DO THE MATH! Forget the likelihood that either JC or MW will want to start for a team or that in JC's case the MLE will be what you are offering opening up the negotiations to 30 teams. Forget it. Do the math. Don't just tell me it's possible. Show me HOW it is probable!

Quote:

Now, when Marvin's next contract comes up in 2009, that may be a different story. We may have to deal him, or guys like Chill and Shelden, to make room for Marvin's big contract, depending on how good of a player Marvin is at that time.

So now you are qualifying yourself again despite your certainty as to me being "wrong"?!? Why not deal MW or JC or SW or any 2 of them now for a "very good" Pg or C like you originally said? Why not complete the design of the team rather than leave it up in the air? Why not run a lineup of:

Gasol/ZaZA/Lo

JS/Gasol (a few minutes here)/MLE FA

JC/J. Rich.

JJ/Indy pick

Speedy/Lowry

Why is that "wrong"? I think Gasol is far more talented than MW and/or SW. It's not close. I think Gasol is a better fit for this team and its needs than MW and/or. Gasol would be in the same "prime" as JJ. I don't think anyone would disagree here or if they would its just their being petty towards me like so many here are disengenuous. Why not stabilize this team now, for many years with a trade that all but completes it? Why let players force our hand or keep praying that we won't have to lose a major piece when we can simply make the decisions now to complete the team better and stronger?

Quote:

So your 2008 - 09 Hawks could very well look like this:

G - Speedy

G - JJ

F - Marvin

F - Smoove

C - Big man FA pick up ( Magloire? . . who will be overpaid by whomever obtains his services, unless he goes to a team on the cheap, and just wants to win a title. )

Not forgetting that you don't have a BU at any position...HOW DO WE PAY FOR ALL THIS?!? Essentially the same team we have now without any BUs. Great Idea. You list some BUs below this but you have NO CONCEPT of how much it costs to resign these players and build a team. It's laughably "wrong again".

W

Quote:

F/C - 07 or 08 Draft Pick
( Randolph Morris - Kentucky? . . depending on how high or low his stock rises or drops. If he comes out this year, he may be a mid-1st round pick. If he comes out in 2008, he may go higher. )

Randolph Morris already went through the draft and went UNDRAFTED...that means he can NEVER EVER enter the draft again

he is a UFA now and will be until someone signs him...we could sign him today, or this summer, or next year, etc

if he continues to improve, it's likely we'll sign him and we'd be his likely first choice due to

a)his hometown

b)smoove

c)he could actually get pt here if he's good enough

d)he already worked with us 2 summers ago after being undrafted, but we/he decided going back to school first would be his best option

yeah; it'll be tough with the injuries we had tho...we are 21-31, so exactly 30 games left

we'll have to go 21-9...that's 70%...we've been 60% tho lately with tough schedule and have an easy schedule in march/april, so we CAN do it if everyone is healthy

it's not too likely, but it's def possible

we have to learn how to close out games during the break, tho