• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Alright accountants, time to count our chips

Guest Walter

• Moderators

I very strongly doubt that Chicago would give up two players from Gordon, Hinrich and Deng for Gasol. I see them giving up one of those guys, PJ Brown and some combination of a young guy or guys like Tyrus Thomas, the Knicks pick, Nocioni, Sephala (sp?) etc.

• Moderators

Quote:

I think the Bulls will break and get Gasol. I think it will be Gordon, Nocioni, and either Tyrus or Sefolosha. They aren't even remotely close to a title without some low post scoring. They will see the light before the deadline.

I think that is a very realistic trade package (although Brown still needs to be included) - although I suspect it would be Memphis who would have to break to take that package. I would guess Memphis is asking for more right now.

Quote:

Quote:

I think the Bulls will break and get Gasol. I think it will be Gordon, Nocioni, and either Tyrus or Sefolosha. They aren't even remotely close to a title without some low post scoring. They will see the light before the deadline.

I think that is a very realistic trade package (although Brown still needs to be included) - although I suspect it would be Memphis who would have to break to take that package. I would guess Memphis is asking for more right now.

Gordon, Nocioni and Thomas would be a pretty sweet return for Memphis, particularly if Thomas amounts to something. Problem for them is that they would be like the Hawks with great young forwards (Thomas, Gay, Warrick, Miller and Nocioni) a good scoring guard and then nothingness at point and center (unless Lowry emerges, which could definitely happen).

Quote:

I see Gasol right in front of us. I can hardly think of a better compliment to JJ. I realize the rules that make it almost impossible for near max to max RFA to be had reasonably by other teams. I see our ownership problem and the legal system it's being resolved in and I see the limited finances of our ownership without one of its primary owners and don't expect a definate answer anytime soon or a satisfying one likely at all. I see our fast dwindling cap space making our ability to realize even near future deals poor.

...Gasol

1) is VERY good and may be as good as it gets for us,

2) is available when no other such dominant post presence is,

3) is an apparent ideal compliment to JJ

4) isn't a restricted player

5) can be had without concerns over whether we could convince him to come here,

6) doesn't have question surrounding him about whether he will or won't develop,

7) has a contract that fits within the 4-year restraints of the court

8) has a limited injury history without chronic injury concerns

9) is entering his prime

10) Completes this team rather than continues it in limbo about what to do with all it's project forwards

There MIGHT come along another opportunity, but it's not only about if, but when. Why not take the great opportunity now presented to us rather than wait and hope for an equal one much less somehow better one? Gasol is nothing if not a great piece to trade with should a future, somehow more attractive opportunity arise.

Not saying that I wouldn't trade for Gasol depending on what we had to give up, but you're going overboard with some of your points there. I have no idea why he is an ideal post compliment to JJ as compared to some other center. He does have a significant injury history, and I am concerned about his durability. And finally, you don't mention his below average defense.

Good point EDS. The Griz don't look too far away. They have two good young forwards in Gay and Warrick, and a great center. They need guards and they need them badly.

I would take no less than Deng and Gordon or Hinrich. Or, I would put Warrick in the deal and get back a Sefolosha. PJ Brown would be in any deal.

I wouldn't worry so much about defense with Gasol. He isn't horrible and they have good defensive players everywhere else. They need to score points in ways other than jumpers. In the playoffs the half court offense becomes a necessity.

Basically, the Bulls are in the position now the Hawks will be in in a year or two. Good enough to make the playoffs but not quite good enough to really make a run at a title - but, in saying that, they do have some interesting pieces that, with the right deal, could yield a true championship contender.

Quote:

...Problem for them is that they would be like the Hawks with great young forwards (Thomas, Gay, Warrick, Miller and Nocioni) a good scoring guard and then nothingness at point and center (unless Lowry emerges, which could definitely happen).

Yeah EDS...but they will also have a v. good pick in a draft full of big men. (God forbid)...toss Oden in that mix and look out!

Quote:

Chill or Marvin aren't enough because he already has a great young SF in Gay. I think West wants a GREAT young guard, ie, a Gordon or Hinrich. He also wants an expiring deal, which we don't have, but the Bulls can throw in PJ Brown. Deng is adding weight and will play the PF slot in a year and I think the Griz want Deng and Gordon/Hinrich. We can't touch a deal like that one. We have JJ and that is the only guard that would interest the Griz.

Good thought, but Gasol is out of reach because other teams are just in better shape to make a deal.

I think we may have to make it a 3-way. I think our 2009 pick would be enticing. It does depend upon Chicago. Perhaps MW gets Aldridge sent to Memphis. Don't know. Just believe we have to stick our neck out at some point. Financially it's already stuck out there.

W

• 2 weeks later...