• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Sekou (relatively) scathing in criticism of Speedy

mrhonline

• Premium Member

Hawks need Claxton healthy, quickly

Quote:

True or not, the mere notion that the team would consider acquiring another point guard speaks directly to what they have been
unable to consistently get from Claxton
, who has played 36 of 52 games, missing 16 with knee soreness. No one knows this better than the player, who has battled injuries throughout his career.

Quote:

Knight opted to draft forward Marvin Williams instead of a point guard with the second overall pick in 2005 (the next two selections were both point guards: budding star Deron Williams, by Utah, and eventual rookie of the year Chris Paul, New Orleans), then took power forward Shelden Williams fifth overall in 2006 (point guard Marcus Williams slipped to the 22nd pick by New Jersey).

Quote:

Hawks management shouldn't be surprised. Knight signed Claxton knowing he had missed 189 career games due to injury and illness, the list literally covering head to toe.
There have been a concussion, a dislocated shoulder, back spasms, groin strains, torn knee ligaments, ankle sprains and a bruised right toe, according to the Hawks media guide.

Knight did not respond to several requests through the team's public relations department for an interview regarding Claxton, who has been mostly a career backup but was signed to start for the Hawks.

Quote:

There does not seem to be an indication of when Claxton will be pain-free this season. He has been strengthening the knee, stimulating it and icing it. Surgery would not ease the pain and could cause more damage, Claxton said team doctors told him.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sekou must have gotten bored writing that article because he decided about half way through the player evaluations to stop. He failed to grade Shelden, Chill, Lue, Salim, and Ivey. Why? He also failed to give Woodson a grade...

Sekou is kind of a puzzle at times. There are articles that I read that are great and others where I want to ask him why he even bothered. This bogus player grade article could have been skipped. Those players who did not receive a grade should have...My grade for Sekou's piece is Incomplete.

• Premium Member

I'm surprised Sekou wrote this article. It's refreshing actually. He even kind of questioned BK's thought process as to why he would sign a guy who has a history of injuries to a multi year contract in the first place. There's even a season-by-season breakdown of the guy's injuries. Makes me wonder why we even considered him as a viable starter on this team. Anyway, this is a major departure from the norm for Sekou. I wonder how an article like this will affect his "relationship" with Hawks management?

Quote:

I wonder how an article like this will affect his "relationship" with Hawks management?

he doesn't really have much of one, which is one of the points of the article. BK wouldn't return his calls about Speedy.

BK is arrogant and incompetent as far as i am concerned. The only things i can give him credit for are the JJ deal and not signing any large, bad contracts (other than Speedy).

If it was my call he would be gone. I have absolutely no confidence that he can make the moves necessary for the Hawks to become contenders.

Just look at his summer acquisitions; Speedy, Lo and Shelden. They have all been disappointments. Last summer was the time when he was supposed to fill out the roster and give the Hawks a chance to be competitive.

The only reason the Hawks have won as many games as they have is because JJ and Smith have stepped up big.

(In my opinion the 3 people you speak of have made the Hawks more competitve. ( Lo, Speedy, Sheldon). by the way, Sekou has a tough job coming up with a Hawks article when they have not played in almost a week.

Your last post was thanking JJ and Smoove. Well, we have JJ and Smoove thanks to guess who ? Knight

Funny how you diss Knight and then in the next breath praise him without even realizing you did it.

So does he get credit for that ? (You did give credit for JJ but not the pick of Smoove). Has Chils not been a major factor too ? Has Marvin not shown development. The board was hoping for 14 ppg out od Marvin this year before the broken hand set him back. Well, he is giving us 12ppg with the set back. Not bad for a 20 year old with adversity.

I feel like this board is such a broken record.

Wa, Wa, Wa. So tired of the whining & finger pointing.

In case you have not noticed the team is improving. Sheldon, Speedy and Lo are big parts in that. Ever since Lo was put in the starting line up we start a 5 game road winning trip. Speedy playing / Lo starting and the win streak are no coincidence either.

In the off season the Hawks glaring holes were interior defense and a point gard / leadership void.

If these holes were not plugged with something,the whole ship would sink.

Honestly, without Sheldon, Lo and Speedy the Hawks would have maybe won one of the 5 consective road victories they just completed. Josh has been in foul trouble alot lately. Guess who has his back - Sheldon. Sheldon keeps the other teams from having a layup / dunk drill the second Smoove steps off the floor in 4th quarter crunch time due to his chronic foul trouble.

In my opinion the holes were plugged with the best free agents and pick available (who would sign with us). Of course we could have traded young developing talent for other hole pluggers. That would have made fans even more upset.

We could have drafted guys with more potential than Sheldon. Problem is that Roy and Foy would not see the court enough to show it for the Hawks thanks to JJ and Chils. Guess what, the whole board would then by whining about how Knight should not have drafted more wing players.

No matter what happens, some fans expect instant results. Well, in reality this does not happen. (Unless you luck out & win the lottery in a Tim Duncan or Shaq year). The Hawks are the youngest team in the NBA and are showing improvement each year. I love the team situation and give Knight props for what he has accomplished given what he has to work with, (ownership situation).

Sure, the response is Knight should have signed this guy, or that guy. Easy to say without knowing if this guy or that guy cared anything about playing here.

If the Hawks can tread water for this brutal shedule coming up --no one on this board should be complaining about a thing. We are in the playoff hunt. Did anyone realistically expect more before the season started. If you honestly expected this team to be over .500 beger the season started....well, that makes me wonder about your sanity.

The Hawks are right where most on this board expected them to be.

Like alwayse, the board is full whiners b/c that is all some people no how to do. Some how they do not realize the team is drastically improving yet all they no how to do is whine. (That is so sad b/c I'm lead to believe these people see life that way - alwayse picking out negatives and failing to the poitives and good things in life right before your eyes). Society unfortunatley teaches us to point the finger and whine. The people who see through live much better lives. So unfortunate but its true.

Quote:

Your last post was thanking JJ and Smoove. Well, we have JJ and Smoove thanks to guess who ? Knight

Funny how you diss Knight and then in the next breath praise him without even realizing you did it.

So does he get credit for that ?

In case you have not noticed the team is improving. Speedy and Lo are big parts in that. Ever since Lo was put in the starting line up we start a 5 game road winning trip. Speedy playing / Lo starting and the win streak are no coincidence either.

In the off season the Hawks glaring holes were interior defense and a point gard / leadership void.

Honestly, without Sheldon, Lo and Speedy the Hawks would have maybe won one of the 5 consective road victories they just completed. Josh has been in foul trouble alot lately. Guess who has his back - Sheldon. Sheldon keeps the other teams from having a layup / dunk drill the second Smoove steps off the floor in 4th quarter crunch time due to his chronic foul trouble.

In my opinion the holes were plugged with the best free agents and pick available. Of course we could have traded young developing talent for other hole pluggers. That would have made fans even more upset.

We could have drafted guys with more potential than Sheldon. Problem is that Roy and Foy would not see the court enough to show it for the Hawks thanks to JJ and Chils. Guess what, the whole board would then by whining about how Knight should have drafted more wing players.

No matter what happens, fans expect instant results. Well, in reality this does not happen. The Hawks are the youngest team in the NBA and are showing improvement each year. I love the team situation and give Knight props for what he has accomplished given what he has to work with, (ownership situation).

Sure, the response is Knight should signed this guy, or that guy. Easy to say without knowing ifthis guy or that guy cared anything about playing here.

If the Hawks can tread water for this brutal shedule coming up --no one on this board should be complaining about a thing.

I think Exodus was pointing out that even bad GM's make a few good deals. Heck, Isiah Thomas drafted David Lee. The fact that BK has made two good moves during his tenure does not exuse his over-all poor performance and inability to put a winning product on the court in 4 years at the controls.

Quote:

If you actually read my post you would have seen that i did give BK credit for the JJ deal. Although his idea that JJ would be the point was just plain nutty.

I don't give him credit for the Smith pick since BK was trying to trade up to get him during the draft and it wasn't hard to pick the hometown athletic freak at 17. After all he was projected top 10 not long before.

Quote:

Honestly, without Sheldon, Lo and Speedy the Hawks would have maybe won one of the 5 consective road victories

That is just plain ignorant.

So you think that if the Hawks didn't have these three that they wouldn't have gotten anyone else to replace them this summer? You think the Hawks would have just forfieted their #5 pick and not chosen anyone? You think they would have signed no free agents?

Foye and Roy have both outperformed Shelden and it would be hard to come up with a free agent that has performed worse than Speedy and Lo.

Quote:

In case you have not noticed the team is improving. Speedy and Lo are big parts in that. Ever since Lo was put in the starting line up we start a 5 game road winning trip. Speedy playing / Lo starting and the win streak are no coincidence either.

In my opinion the holes were plugged with the best free agents and pick available. Of course we could have traded young developing talent for other hole pluggers. That would have made fans even more upset.

We could have drafted guys with more potential than Sheldon. Problem is that Roy and Foy would not see the court enough to show it for the Hawks thanks to JJ and Chils. Guess what, the whole board would then by whining about how Knight should have drafted more wing players.

No matter what happens, fans expect instant results. Well, in reality this does not happen. The Hawks are the youngest team in the NBA and are showing improvement each year. I love the team situation and give Knight props for what he has accomplished given what he has to work with, (ownership situation).

Sure, the response is Knight should signed this guy, or that guy. Easy to say without knowing ifthis guy or that guy cared anything about playing here.

If the Hawks can tread water for this brutal shedule coming up --no one on this board should be complaining about a thing.

No you lied Shelden has not stopped anyone from getting lay ups he sucks .....

"Joe Johnson shut down his All-Star partying after just one night. That’s right, one night. He soaked the parties and atmosphere of Sin City for less than 24 hours before deciding that resting up for a second-half push with the Hawks was more important than blowing out the weekend of his first visit to the All-Star Game. Gym rats, they’re so predictable." Atlanta Journal Constitution

no sure if it was posted already or not but saw it and didnt think it required a whole new thread...good to hear though that he's focused on the Hawks

Im gonna chime in here and say Shelden is one of the worst rookies I have ever seen. He is being out played by 2nd round picks hes freaking awful he has no offensive game at all cant block shots so much for the highly doubted 2 time defensive player of the year. This is a perfect example how the NBA is a whole different league. Shelden was an elite shot blocker in college and in the NBA is one of the worst. The guy has ZERO ATHELISM NONE. I dont see his ceiling high at all if theres a trade out you trade him asap before teams realize hes half retarded. Anyone catch wat Milsap did in the rookie game 22 pts for the west. Shelden was the worst pick BK has ever made the guy has no room on this team with the emergence of Josh Smith at the 4. Trade the guy somewhere where he will get to play. The back 2 back Lottery Picks by Billy Knight are the reason this franchise is struggling to get to the too. Give me Deron Williams/CP 3, and Foye/Roy/Gay/Milsap and this team is a lock for the playoffs for the next decade. Instead we are left scratching thinking if these guys will ever pan out. Shelden wont see any big minutes in Atlanta now that Smith has locked down the PF spot. banghead.gif

BK's offseason moves probably gets a D last year.

Shelden should not have been picked that high in the 1st round. We should have gotten Roy. Shelden is not significantly helping our Big man issues at all. We still need a Big man!! He is a good role player off the bench.

Speedy is not a bad player, he is just injury prone and always been injury prone in his career. Too much money spent on him.

Not a good offseason for BK.....Thank God for JJ, Chillz and JSmith's emergence this year!!!! If it wasn't for them we would be terrible. You saw that when JSmith and Chillz went down.

I really wish we had Roy from this past draft.

I changed my post to correct that mistake within 2 minutes of typing it. (Concerning you giving Knight credit for JJ.)

Maybe I'm ignorant. I don't think there was another FA pg out there that could give us what Speedy has over that 5 game road win streak. No I dont't think there was another FA big who would step in and start at C for the price Lo is doing it. (Over paying for Ne Ne is not the answer).Lo is not that bad. He is steady and gets respect form referees at the beginning of games. Za Za alwayse gets cheap fouls to start a game. Refs let Lo bang a little more b/c he has paid his dues so to speak.

Thats my opinion.

Maybe your ignorant for bashing the youngest team in the NBA who is on schedule to improve their win total by 10 wins. I call that good progess.

Just curious ? Who would have signed as freea gents then ? If you going to bash some one don't just whine. Give a legitimate course of action that would have been better.

So we have played Roy and Foy at the expese of whom ? JJ and Chils. Sorry, but to me that makes a worse, not better.

Than when Smoove has to sit with foul trouble we play who ? Batman ? Give me a break. Shelon does stop layup drills when Smoove sits with fouls. That is a hole the team had last yar that is now plugged.

Quote:

I changed my post to correct that mistake within 2 minutes of typing it. (Concerning you giving Knight credit for JJ.)

Maybe I'm ignorant. I don't think there was another FA pg out there that could give us what Speedy has over that 5 game road win streak. No I dont't think there was another FA big who would step in and start at C for the price Lo is doing it. (Over paying for Ne Ne is not the answer).Lo is not that bad. He is steady and gets respect form referees at the beginning of games. Za Za alwayse gets cheap fouls to start a game. Refs let Lo bang a little more b/c he has paid his dues so to speak.

Thats my opinion.

Maybe your ignorant for bashing the youngest team in the NBA who is on schedule to improve their win total by 10 wins. I call that good progess.

Just curious ? Who would have signed as freea gents then ? If you going to bash some one don't just whine. Give a legitimate course of action that would have been better.

So we have played Roy and Foy at the expese of whom ? JJ and Chils. Sorry, but to me that makes a worse, not better.

Than when Smoove has to sit with foul trouble we play who ? Batman ? Give me a break. Shelon does stop layup drills when Smoove sits with fouls. That is a hole the team had last yar that is now plugged.

Well show me the tapes to where he has stopped someone. In all honesty Shelden should not be getting any playing time . Seeing as how he does'nt do anything when he comes into the game but turn the ball over and foul people...

Excuse my broken English in last post.

I break the ruls and check out this site at work whentheres is some down time.

My last post had so many typos it can hardly beread to make sense.

I need to stop posting at work. The rush/ hurry just causes too many mistakes. My brother is a Dr. in Englisg. He would kill me after seeing this.

I can't help that I'm such an optimist and will not join in on the whining.

Quote:

even bad GM's make a few good deals. Heck, Isiah Thomas drafted David Lee.

You got short memory. Lee is only Isiah's latest gem. Nobody drafts better than Isiah. Check the record. He is a drafting genius. Unfortunately, nobody wastes more money signing over the hill players either. Knicks should just pay him GMs salary, let him sit home, and use him for drafts only. His record has been that extra ordinary.

About Claxton, BK underestimated his injury history. He was too risky to sign long term deal. Terrible deal.

About Lo, BK underestimated his age. He plays much older than his chronological age. Bad deal.

About Shelden, I won't comment until another 100 games.

If Smoove was such a no brainer like many people on this board suggest, he would have been the 3rd pick of that draft.

JJ was not just a great pickup. Many people threw their career on the train track to get that deal done. They deserve not just credit, but huge bonus for doing that. Where are all the whiners for Diaw?

Not trading Al at mid-season last year was just unacceptable. Not only we would have something better to show for it, Marvin would have had the chance to develop more last year. Our draft pick in 2006, theoratically, could have been better too.

it is now exactly 3 years that we have been rebuilding...3, not 4

3 years ago, in february of 2004, we traded theo/reef for expiring/17th pick

we have, in 3 years, achieved:

a) same record now as before we started the rebuild, thus we are no worse off than we were then

b) we did a, even tho we have NO players that have been here longer than summer 2004

c) we did a, even tho we have one of the lowest salaries in the league

d) we did a, even tho we have had one of the toughest schedules so far this year

e) we have an all-star and Team USA player; one of the top 5 sgs in the league

f) we have a rising star and future perennial all star and currently #1 fantasy player at 20 years old, josh smith...he's tracking to become a dominant player in this league...

g) we have other prospects like marvin/chill/shelden/zaza/solo that could also improve this team without any more moves

so we are in no worse position, but we have a MUCH better chance at a bright future now than we did then

and, we should even be in the playoff race this year, even if we don't quite make it...that's quite an improvement

we rebuilt 100% from scratch...yet u guys expect us to be contenders overnight...we would def be a playoff seed RIGHT NOW if not for the injuries...even with the injuries we are in the race still...that's pretty good improvement over 3 years...

how is he one of the worst rookies you've ever seen when he leads all rookies in rebounding?

not only that, but he was consistently in the top 10 rookies each week and considered as a top 5 candidate for ROY by the general media until he injured his shoulder...

he's a post player...his shoulder is VERY important to him...

he's 2-time DPOY in college and leading rookie rebounder in the NBA and a defensive post presence for us...give him time until his shoulder heals and then judge him...u can't tell how he's gonna be with that shoulder injury

Quote:

it is now exactly 3 years that we have been rebuilding...3, not 4

3 years ago, in february of 2004, we traded theo/reef for expiring/17th pick

we have, in 3 years, achieved:

a) same record now as before we started the rebuild, thus we are no worse off than we were then

b) we did a, even tho we have NO players that have been here longer than summer 2004

c) we did a, even tho we have one of the lowest salaries in the league

d) we did a, even tho we have had one of the toughest schedules so far this year

e) we have an all-star and Team USA player; one of the top 5 sgs in the league

f) we have a rising star and future perennial all star and currently #1 fantasy player at 20 years old, josh smith...he's tracking to become a dominant player in this league...

g) we have other prospects like marvin/chill/shelden/zaza/solo that could also improve this team without any more moves

so we are in no worse position, but we have a MUCH better chance at a bright future now than we did then

and, we should even be in the playoff race this year, even if we don't quite make it...that's quite an improvement

we rebuilt 100% from scratch...yet u guys expect us to be contenders overnight...we would def be a playoff seed RIGHT NOW if not for the injuries...even with the injuries we are in the race still...that's pretty good improvement over 3 years...

Good post. Do you remember, in November, people filled up the Shelden bandwagon? Its funny to look back at those post (use search with date). Some people can't take that MW and SW are trying to fit in, rather than be the man. Give them a little time before throwing them to trash.