• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

I love this team

jerrywest

I know we all have a lot of complains about a lot of things, but I think Hawks are one of the most fun teams to watch. We have a salivating nucleus of JJ & Smoove to build around. We are far from a finished project but every game we play, except those rare blow outs, are exciting. Even the blowout losses are sprinkled with some jaw dropping dunks from Smoove and Marvin.

I just wanted to say that, after many years of suffering, I really appreciate our current team. I hope the uphill climb continues.

Quote:

yeah

it's strange; we have the worst offense in the league based on ppg and we are one of the better defensive teams...u wouldn't think that would be a recipe for excitement, yet this team is so much fun to watch...sooooo much better than the pre-bk team

To call the Hawks one of the better defensive teams is a little misleading.

Quote:

well we are top half for defense so far this year

and that includes having more injuries to top-7 than most any other team this year

and chill/speedy/smoove are 3 of our best defenders and were all out for 10+ games...and shelden, our best post defender, has been injured for 80% of the season

When certain players are injured, our ppg against is way up. If you count games when those players played, our ppg against is among the best. You just need to drill down to understand whats going on. All stat sheets need to be drilled down before making comments. General assumptions are generally naive.

Quote:

and that includes having more injuries to top-7 than most any other team this year

and chill/speedy/smoove are 3 of our best defenders and were all out for 10+ games...and shelden, our best post defender, has been injured for 80% of the season

I love the optimism but the reality is Sheldon is still an unknown quantity, Chill is a solid defender but not much more, Speedy is good when healthy but that is rare and Smoove still needs to fine tune his post defense.

The team gives up relatively few points because the play at a very slow pace due to the absence of anyone who can push the tempo.

Quote:

We seem to have no plan on offense. I don;t like that about this team.

I don't love this team. I like some of our pieces. I will like it more when we play good basketball, which we don't yet.

I know what you mean. You are actually more correct at a deeper level than I am. I am just enjoying the kids when they click.

Quote:

but I think Hawks are one of the most fun teams to watch...I just wanted to say that, after many years of suffering, I really appreciate our current team. I hope the uphill climb continues.

I don't know what exactly to say about all this. I really can't stand to watch the Spurs. Yes, I appreciate watching Duncan. I just can't stand to watch them as it isn't much fun. Still, I prefer them over fun.

& frankly, I don't see our current team as fun. I thuroughly enjoy JS and JJ, appreciate JC, but the former I have always and the later I have since last year so this team isn't any different from last year's team in that regard. In fact it's less fun. Yes, this year's team is less fun than last year's team. Does that mean it isn't better than last year's team. No. Any amount of development given all our youngsters had to play out for the better and Al was a no show on D, but being SLIGHTLY better while good enough isn't more fun. I looked at last year's team and said

Quote:

"Wow wouldn't it be (fun) to trade Al in a deal for a legit player, add a top 5 pick (or deal including it), and maybe another legit FA to this team...hopefully answering at least one of our prospect C or Pg needs ONCE AND FOR ALL! ONCE AND FOR ALL!!! Now THAT would be (fun).

Instead, we're looking at the same team as last year only a year older. That despite $9 million and a 5th overall pick. Yes, some of the names have changed. Our offense is worse without Al/any post presence and our defense is slightly, and I mean very slightly better but it's not because of SW or Lo anymore than it is the absence of Al. Still, Lo, Speed and SW are the most forgettable additions at their financial or draft capitol cost that I can recall. $9 million and a 5th overall pick and they are SOOOOOOO FORGETABLE! Who was I speaking of again?

Yes, Woody is much to blame for this team not being fun. BK is more to blame for it not being good.

Jerry, I applaud the effort but frankly find it hard to agree. Despite the MW selection as a sour note all last season there was more fun to be had there because the future looked brighter if only a few shrewd moves were made. The capitol is all but gone now for such moves and so is the real fun.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for it, but...

W

Quote:

I have to agree with Walter here. I would much rather watch well coached, smart basketball played as a team sport rather then poorly coached street ball with a few fancy dunks thrown in.

...horizon. It will take a coaching change, significant talent upgrades at most positions, and we don't have the capitol or GM to allow for or to trust to make these things happen. Maybe we'll win in the lottery. That's my sad little hope.

W

Quote:

Question: Can a team that is firmly entrenched in the bottom third of the league in terms of opposition field goal percentage be considered a top defensive team?

Answer: No.

Question: Can a team that is in the bottom half of the league in terms of rebound percentage be considered a top defensive team?

Answer: No

Question: How can anyone say with a straigt face that the Hawks are a good defensive team?

Answer: ????