• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Marvin Williams development in perspective

coachx

Many are calling Marvin out for his percieved lack of development in this his 2nd year. He is 20 years old. Will not be 21 until June. He is the same age as Kobe, Rashard Lewis, Garnett, and McGrady were in their 2nd years in the NBA.

Granted the guys above came right out of HS and were rookies at 19, but that is the same age as Marvin was. Marvin was a freshman at UNC at the age of 18, the same age the named above were when seniors in High School. So at 18 he was winning a national title as UNC's sixth man while the others were in HS at 18. Marvin was still 3 months from 19 after winning the national title at UNC. Of course all scouts and many on this board already knew this.

Considering this, I think it is fair to judge his development based on their career paths in their first 3 years. Good developmental measuring stick so to speak.

(Remember Marvin started the year with protection on his broken hand.)

PPG RPG APG BPG

Marvin: 8.5 4.8 .8 .3

11.9 4.7 1.9 .5

Lewis: 2.4 1.3 .2 0

8.2 4.1 .9 .4

14.8 6.9 1.6 .6

Bryant: 7.6 1.9 1.3 .3

15.4 3.1 2.5 .5

19.9 5.3 3.8 1.0

McGrady: 7.0 4.2 1.5 1.0

9.3 5.7 2.3 1.4

15.4 6.3 3.3 1.9

Garnett: 7.0 4.2 1.5 1.0

17.0 8.0 3.1 2.1

18.5 9.6 1.8 1.8

Garnett and Kobe were the quickest to develope and are probably the best 2 players of the bunch. McGrady is not far behind, being in Vince's shadow in Torronto held McGrady's develpoment back more than anything. Rashard Lewis is not in their superstar category but is an allstar.

Marvin is developing faster the Rashard Lewis. I don't think many expected Marvin to ever be on par with Kobe or Garnett. He will probably wind up developing into a player that is between McGrady and Lewis. He is less athletic then McGrady but slightly bigger. He is slightly shorter then Lewis but thicker at this point in his carrer. Has more of Rashard Lewis's game buit Marvin is more aggresive then Rashard was at this point in their careers.

Summary:

If Marvin turns out to be equal to Rashard Lewis I would be a little dissapointed but its not a killer. I expect him to develop into a player slightly beter then Rashard Lewis. Hopefully a more aggressive Rashard Lewis with more muscle and more rebounding.

Food for thought.

Quote:

Many are calling Marvin out for his percieved lack of development in this his 2nd year. He is 20 years old. Will not be 21 until June. He is the same age as Kobe, Rashard Lewis, Garnett, and McGrady were in their 2nd years in the NBA.

Granted the guys above came right out of HS and were rookies at 19, but that is the same age as Marvin was. Marvin was a freshman at UNC at the age of 18, the same age the named above were when seniors in High School. So at 18 he was winning a national title as UNC's sixth man while the others were in HS at 18. Marvin was still 3 months from 19 after winning the national title at UNC. Of course all scouts and many on this board already knew this.

Considering this, I think it is fair to judge his development based on their career paths in their first 3 years. Good developmental measuring stick so to speak.

(Remember Marvin started the year with protection on his broken hand.)

PPG RPG APG BPG

Marvin: 8.5 4.8 .8 .3

11.9 4.7 1.9 .5

Lewis: 2.4 1.3 .2 0

8.2 4.1 .9 .4

14.8 6.9 1.6 .6

Bryant: 7.6 1.9 1.3 .3

15.4 3.1 2.5 .5

19.9 5.3 3.8 1.0

McGrady: 7.0 4.2 1.5 1.0

9.3 5.7 2.3 1.4

15.4 6.3 3.3 1.9

Garnett: 7.0 4.2 1.5 1.0

17.0 8.0 3.1 2.1

18.5 9.6 1.8 1.8

Garnett and Kobe were the quickest to develope and are probably the best 2 players of the bunch. McGrady is not far behind, being in Vince's shadow in Torronto held McGrady's develpoment back more than anything. Rashard Lewis is not in their superstar category but is an allstar.

Marvin is developing faster the Rashard Lewis. I don't think many expected Marvin to ever be on par with Kobe or Garnett. He will probably wind up developing into a player that is between McGrady and Lewis. He is less athletic then McGrady but slightly bigger. He is slightly shorter then Lewis but thicker at this point in his carrer. Has more of Rashard Lewis's game buit Marvin is more aggresive then Rashard was at this point in their careers.

Summary:

If Marvin turns out to be equal to Rashard Lewis I would be a little dissapointed but its not a killer. I expect him to develop into a player slightly beter then Rashard Lewis. Hopefully a more aggressive Rashard Lewis with more muscle and more rebounding.

Food for thought.

This would be more helpful if you included the minutes each of these gentlemen played.

• Premium Member

Look...

Don't try to sell us this BS about Marvin being on the same level as Kobe, KG, Lewis, or McGrady at any time.

I'm very tired of reading this crap.

Watch the games... Marvin does nothing star quality except go to the free throw line.

We have all these excuses about why Marvin can't produce. It's worse than Walter defender Sene for being a D-Leaguer...

None of these guys were placed in a position like Marvin whereby they were able to carry the team. I notice that missing is your discussion of Minutes Per game. Marvin is averaging 32.9 mpg... Starters minutes...

Lewis and McGrady were barely playing 20 mpg... if that.

Come on Coach.. NOT YOU TOO...

Get off the excuse go round and just leave the subject be. There's no explaination for how sorry Marvin really is except that.

Quote:

Don't try to sell us this BS about Marvin being on the same level as Kobe, KG, Lewis, or McGrady at any time. I'm very tired of reading this crap.

Very emotional.

Quote:

Watch the games... Marvin does nothing star quality except go to the free throw line.

Early in the season we were all screaming for him and Smoove to penetrate more and get free throws. If an Al loving hater like you gives him that, then he must have really improved his penetration.

Quote:

None of these guys were placed in a position like Marvin whereby they were able to carry the team. I notice that missing is your discussion of Minutes Per game. Marvin is averaging 32.9 mpg... Starters minutes...

Lucky them. To have so much better teammates around, to learn from and to play with.

Quote:

Get off the excuse go round and just leave the subject be. There's no explaination for how sorry Marvin really is except that.

Again emotional. I'll give you this. I loved your comment on Marvin walking like a convenient store guy. That was funny. He walks like he is carrying extra weight in his butt.

Quote:

Look...

Don't try to sell us this BS about Marvin being on the same level as Kobe, KG, Lewis, or McGrady at any time.

We have all these excuses about why Marvin can't produce. It's worse than Walter defender Sene for being a D-Leaguer...

Lewis and McGrady were barely playing 20 mpg... if that.

Come on Coach.. NOT YOU TOO...

Look...

Don't try to sell us this BS about Marvin needing to be traded.

I don'think its BS to say Marvin will develop into a stronger version of Rashard Lewis. How is that BS ?

I know Kobe and Garnett are out of Marvin's league. I even said no one expected him to be as good as Garnett or Kobe. Come on Diesel, read the post before you crucify.

I thought Marvin played well and agressive last night vs. the Spurs.

The earlier post is trying to show that even elite players in this league took time to develop and that board jumps to conclusion like using the word bust to early.

Marvin gave us 16 and 6 last night and drove to the hole repeatedly, with many FT attempts.

I will stand by this. The kid is not even 21 until June and so many already call him a bust. When he was drafted even realistic people, like you Diesel, knew Marvin would take 3 years to develop.

If Marvin sucks so bad, name some guys Marvin's age, 20, who are better then he is now. I can only think of Andrew Bynum only b/c he is 7 footer.