• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Some of you need to lay off the drugs

Admin

What is up with all of this "hate" about today's trade. Okay, so we didn't get a franchise player, but we didn't give up ANYTHING of value either. Yes, we have a surplus of backup caliber PG's, but at least 1 of them now are healthy and talented enough to play in the NBA at the same time. Johnson played well in NJ and did a wonderful job last year for the Pacers, which is why the Mavs went after him this offseason. He just wasn't able to get minutes on the deepest team in the league. Here he will be able to play 25+ mpg while letting Speedy and Lue get a little more time to heal their injuries. He brings toughness, a defensive attitude to the PG spot, the desire (and ability) to hit clutch shots, and he has A LOT of veteran savvy.

I absolutely guarantee that the Hawks will be a better team this year with AJ because of his veteran leadership and experience. He will also make us better in the long run because of his veteran leadership. Hopefully we won't see Childress with the ball as much and Ivey will not see the court for the Hawks again. Maybe they can terminate Ivey's contract and finally get some minutes for Esteban.

I guess I am in the minority here that can actually think clearly about today's trade which DEFINITELY makes us a better team (how much better is debatable, but definitely better).

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Without actually commenting on the trade, let me add two things:

1. There was no way the Hawks were signing Billups or Bibby next year. There was not enough money, even if they managed to dump Lue for an expiring. I've done the numbers many times, and it wasn't going to work. They will have the MLE, but I don't expect them to use all of it.

2. Quite a few Mavs' fans and Pacers' fans think AJ is now the Hawks' best PG.

actually the trade makes sense on some levels if you are getting Johnson's production from last season in that if nothing else it keeps Ivey and Salim off the floor. it's obvious the Hawks have not and will not be in tank mode. it can be argued that if they aren't already, they are 1 minor injury away from panic mode at the position.

i just like starting fires every now and then yipee.gif

90%+ of the 2nd rounders don't amount to anything. There is little to lose and a lot to gaink, albeit short term, in this trade.

This trade will cut down Speedy's minutes and may save him from future injury. People forget how Lue had to play too many minutes, hobbling, and that has ruined his year. If AJ can play Ivey's minutes effectively, and cut down Speedy's minutes, we will gain several +points in every game. That could make the difference between playoffs and lottery. 2nd rounders can't make that up.

Can you imagine how much better our young studs will be next year if the smell the playoff blood this year. The experience will be invaluable. We can risk a 2nd rounder for that easily.

This also just about guarantees no top 10 picks for the Suns, which will save us a lot of headaches and heartaches in this forum.

Quote:

2. Quite a few Mavs' fans and Pacers' fans think AJ is now the Hawks' best PG.

Yes. The last 3 teams' fans are saying we are a big winner (although short term) with this trade. NJ, Pacers & Mavs.

When AJ played for us, before that famous solo midyear trade, he was inexperienced and an Ivey type player. He has learnt a lot from his experience since then.

Hopefully, we will jell with him quickly.

• Premium Member

Quote:

He has learnt a lot from his experience since then.

One Pacers' fan in particular said that AJ seemed to get better with age more than any player he could remember...

He's MOST certainly an upgrade over Ivey, and the fact he's healthy makes him an upgrade over Speedy and Lue.

Quote:

Quote:

He has learnt a lot from his experience since then.

One Pacers' fan in particular said that AJ seemed to get better with age more than any player he could remember...

He's MOST certainly an upgrade over Ivey, and the fact he's healthy makes him an upgrade over Speedy and Lue.

Yes, with most of our point guards, others have to compensate, whether its with outside or post up defense, or with shooting or with assists, AJ kind of covers all the areas which will help others concentrate more on their own game. AJ is sort of like small jack of all trades master of none. He could've been the difference in a lot of our losses this year. How many games have we lost by 1 or 2 points?

Let me just say as someone who smokes a j on occasion that I am offended. thumb3d.gif

just kidding around. i think many of us wanted to see the blockbuster trade but this trade isnt a bad trade. it's not the one we want but it's not a bad trade.

I think Ivey should go now and AJ, although unspectacular, will be solid for us. The mintues for Speedy and eventually Lue won't have to be forced and Chill and JJ can focus on their rightful positions.

I hope we definitely see more signings in the offseason.

Quote:

Quote:

I think Ivey should go now

I read they tried to trade him for a late 2nd rounder...

...I guess we know his value since no one would give up one.

Yes. No point of getting 57th pick from the Spurs. Not much ahead of an undrafted player. If someone gets injured, we could use him a little. At least he knows the system. Thats better than a 57th pick.

Quote:

Let me just say as someone who smokes a j on occasion that I am offended.
thumb3d.gif

just kidding around. i think many of us wanted to see the blockbuster trade but this trade isnt a bad trade. it's not the one we want but it's not a bad trade.

I think Ivey should go now and AJ, although unspectacular, will be solid for us. The mintues for Speedy and eventually Lue won't have to be forced and Chill and JJ can focus on their rightful positions.

I hope we definitely see more signings in the offseason.

the outcry comes from Billy not making a big move. that's what every fan of every team wants to see.

i am so hoping that pick winds up in the 10 to 12 range this year *folding hands*

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think Ivey should go now

I read they tried to trade him for a late 2nd rounder...

...I guess we know his value since no one would give up one.

Yes. No point of getting 57th pick from the Spurs. Not much ahead of an undrafted player. If someone gets injured, we could use him a little. At least he knows the system. Thats better than a 57th pick.

Unless that pick is Manu Ginobili! wink.gif

Quote:

What is up with all of this "hate" about today's trade. Okay, so we didn't get a franchise player, but we didn't give up ANYTHING of value either. Yes, we have a surplus of backup caliber PG's, but at least 1 of them now are healthy and talented enough to play in the NBA at the same time. Johnson played well in NJ and did a wonderful job last year for the Pacers, which is why the Mavs went after him this offseason. He just wasn't able to get minutes on the deepest team in the league. Here he will be able to play 25+ mpg while letting Speedy and Lue get a little more time to heal their injuries. He brings toughness, a defensive attitude to the PG spot, the desire (and ability) to hit clutch shots, and he has A LOT of veteran savvy.

I absolutely guarantee that the Hawks will be a better team this year with AJ because of his veteran leadership and experience. He will also make us better in the long run because of his veteran leadership. Hopefully we won't see Childress with the ball as much and Ivey will not see the court for the Hawks again. Maybe they can terminate Ivey's contract and finally get some minutes for Esteban.

I guess I am in the minority here that can actually think clearly about today's trade which DEFINITELY makes us a better team (how much better is debatable, but definitely better).

The hate has alot to do with the fact that BK made a stop-gap move when a bold move for a potential bona fide starter was warranted.

This trade makes the Hawks a marginally better team, but in the short term only because Claxton and Lue, as flawed as they are, are better when healthy (meaning Johnson is a third stringer).

I am not sure how AJ's veteran leadership is different then that of Speedy or Lue, both of whom have played more during their careers and who have championship experience.

The concern is that the team may now decide that it will not make a move to acquire a true starting point guard in the off-season, with the thinking being that they already have a ton of money invested in veteran point guards.

There is also the concern that AJ's presence may limit the number of minutes Chill plays (and by extension, the minutes Marvin plays because Chill will be forced to play more minutes at small forward). Again, not sure that is in the team's best interest in the long term.

Finally, the team has had the same glaring problems (center and point guard) for three plus seasons and another opportunity to address those positions has passed.

In all honesty, I did not expect a big move at the trade deadline. What I hoped was that the team would make a move to improve itself in the future. Anthony Johnson types can easily be acquired in the off-season.

Quote:

Just last year, AJ was 9.2 ppg, 4.3 apg in 26 mpg...

That's significant.

Mixed with Speedy's 4.6 apg in 22 minutes, I think we got something!!

The Hawks still don't have a PG, only score 92PPG, don't have a 2nd option, don't have a starting center.

AJ didn't help the Hawks the last times he played here... Why would he help now...

Quote:

I consider a high 2nd round pick and 2.8 million in cap space next season a lot more valuable than a 33 year old PG who is averaging 3 ppg on the season.

Especially when it's your 3rd best BU-caliber Pg and you now commit $12 million to the BU Pg ROLE much less position.

W

why don't you do us all a favor and take your ball and go home AGAIN. I'm sure Diesel could make that happen AGAIN.

As much as Diesel gets on my nerves from time to time, at least he is somewhat able to see positives when they happen, unlike you, the most negative poster on this board.

Quote:

why don't you do us all a favor and take your ball and go home AGAIN. I'm sure Diesel could make that happen AGAIN.

As much as Diesel gets on my nerves from time to time, at least he is somewhat able to see positives when they happen, unlike you, the most negative poster on this board.

Walter is in pain. He was hoping Speedy get injured and he can start preaching tanking again. Be easy on him. He doesn't want to see those close games going to us instead of our opponents. If we had AJ all year, we would have won all those close games that Selim/Ivey and Bozemon cost us. Walter hates any playoff exposure to our young players. No contamination of their soul.