Atl v. Phx 2/25/07

frosgrim

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

That team is just amazing and I am so frustrated. I have swore enough tonight to last me a whole year. I liked what are team has been doing though. Marvin is starting to grow, AJ has played well. If smith never got into foul trouble who knows. Jones needs more pt pronto!

that was the best hawks game i've seen this year. i didn't think we had a chance but we were right there til the end. bad coaching by woodson in the last minute but our chance to win this game left us before that. the fourth quarter stretch where we went 1-9 shooting killed us. however, after seeing AJ play i'm very confident that we can make it to the playoffs. he didn't cost us the game and he was one of the main players keeping us in it. we might lose to dallas tomorrow, but after that i see a very long win streak ahead of us.

• Premium Member

Quote:

this has to be the first game that joe johnson was one of the worst performers on this team. i think it was a one time deal though.

What? He didn't shoot a high percentage but he still had like 29/5/5.

Quote:

but he missed 16 shots alot of them in key situations (at least two three's late in the fourth quarter). these are the kind of games that you need him to put 35+ points on the board. he struggled from the field.

I agree it wasn't one of his best nights. He usually comes up big in the 4th quarter even if he strugles through 3. :Handshake_emoticon_-_UPDATED:

Joe didn't shoot well, which hurt us. As did Josh's foul trouble. He still has to learn to not commit the dumb/cheap foul. He picked up his 3rd by going over the back on a long rebound, just a dumb play.

AJ looked really good tonight, especially considering he hasn't played with any of these guys. His post-ups on Nash were probably the best post offense this team has seen this year.

We couldn't do anything to stop Amare. Most teams can't, but us especially. We left Bell and Barbosa alone for too many open threes, and they nailed them. We actually did a decent enough job on Nash.

We missed a chance to pick up a game on Orlando and New York tonight, but you can't fault the team for their effort tonight.

Woodson's coaching did leave a bit to be desired tonight, but that's nothing new.

I hope we can put up a good showing tomorrow in Dallas. A win would be nice, but not expected.

A LOT of observations:

Woody's substitutions seemed random early in the game. We kept losing momentum when he was switching players in and out right after the five-minute mark.

Smoove needs to get a few more calls going his way. He is getting about one or two poor calls a night against him. Otherwise he played a very, very nice game. He completely stopped the Suns' players in their tracks on numerous occasions, as they were always looking around to see where he was. I don't know if Kurt Thomas got hurt early in the game, but Smoove was totally dominating him defensively and Thomas just looked at the floor shaking his head in frustration.

AJ was obviously better than most of us thought he would be. You could tell he's still not really in "game shape," but he played very hard. On defense he hung on Nash about as well as one could. And he did a good job of posting him and driving hard. Nice stroke too.

Solomon Jones' boxscore numbers don't tell 1/10 of the story. He was excellent tonight!! Rebounding, keeping the ball alive, hands in the passing lanes, setting hard picks (almost broke Barbosa's hip!), running down the court.

It's hard to say that Joe had a "bad" game, but we sure could have used a couple threes from him. He missed four or five wide-open ones in the fourth quarter.

Marvin has a beautiful stroke. He was an absolute maniac with his general hustle tonight (like Chilz has been in many games this year too). He was ferocious on the boards tonight. He played Power Forward several times.

Chilz seemed a bit overwhelmed by the quicker guys he had to guard tonight.

Lorenzen hurt us with his usual two quick, stupid fouls. He was doing a decent job on Amare. But, even when Solomon came in and did well, Solomon was no match for Amare's strength. Lo hurt us by being out so much in the beginning.

Nash seemed to have an "off" game, but he always made the perfect pass just when we really could have used a defensive stop. The man is a magician.

Stoudamire is unbelievable. Inside, outside, anything he wants to do. We absolutely need a 6'11" - 250#, defensive, PF somehow, someway. Shelden was too slow, couldn't jump, and totally "frozen" on offense when the ball came to him. Maybe he just needs lots of minutes and he'll be better next year. Maybe his shoulder is hurting him. Maybe Amare makes most people look bad. Maybe Shelden's just not very good. I'm willing to give him half of next year, but it doesn't look good right now.

ZaZa did some nice, timely things (rebounds, hustle, scoring), but he is a back-up, no doubt about it. A good one, to be sure, but not a starting center on a playoff team. Too slow, too careless, too frantic on offense.

I'm first and foremost a Hawks fan, but I am also a Nash fan (since my youngest son is a big fan of his). But I have to say, the Suns are quite a large collection of whiners and floppers. They should grow up a bit.

We looked like we "may" have actually been running some offensive plays tonight. Or at least there was a LOT of movement when we had the ball.

Phoenix, by the way, did not run up and down the court as much as they usually do (even though they scored a ton of points). We forced them to set up a half-court offense and pass it around the perimeter a bunch. We actually played pretty decent defense most of the night.

I agree with another poster who it was a year's worth of highlights at tonight's game. What a great, great night of fun!