• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I am torn b/t pulling for the win vs. tanking.

bumpyphish1

There have to be others of you out there. I would like to lose every game for the rest of the season by 1 point. That way, we have a chance at keeping our pick (which, face it, would be huge). Even if the best case scenario happens, and we squeak into the 8th playoff spot (or hell, even the 7th seed), we are going to go one and done. We just don't have the personnel to play with superior teams in an extended series yet. I am all about seeing improvement, and I still find myself watching games and enthused about certain players progress, but if we had two first round picks this offseason, we could upgrade our team. We could trade one pick with a player for a veteran, or draft an Oden, Durant, or Noah! Damn. Then, we would really have something. I am just so friggin ready for this franchise to be competitive again.

We can't catch the Celtics or the Sixers. The odds of getting in the top 3 are long to say the least. These guys need to learn how to win. BK would piss away the pick anyway if it was the third pick.

These tank threads are old and tired. If you want the Hawks to be competitive then hope they start winning.

...it's really too late to tank effectively. That doesn't mean we couldn't increase our odds significantly, but even if we get our odds of a top 3 pick to 20%, that's pretty low. I wouldn't complain though.

It takes 2 years for the popular culture in this forum to wake up to reality. MW's being a mistake over Paul or Deron? Just about 19 months. SW's has taken less time, but christ he's awful and Roy is awesome.

Anyhow, all but guaranteed, whether they admit it or not, the bulk of the anti-tankers will admit to themselves at least within around 2 years that we should have tanked earlier this year.

• Premium Member

There are gains that can be made if you build the confidence of this team. This is a young team, they need confidence more than they need another shot at a pick. Believe me, what you're talking about in terms of tanking is just a shot... Not even a good shot. We have a higher probability of landing outside the top 3 than we do of landing Oden.

If this team increases it's confidence and take that into the summer, I guarantee that they will work out harder and probably work out together more than they would if they lost out. In fact, if they lost out, they'd probably look for another team to play with.

Did anybody see the way that Avery Johnson shook Josh Smith's hand before the game? Coaches and GMs are starting to eye our young guys and the best thing we could do to keep them is make this a winning situation.

An update on draft lottery odds and chances of a top 3 pick:

(source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Draft_Lottery)

42%: If we finish 3rd or 4th worst. (we are 2 games from 4th)

28%: If we finish 5th worst. (currently tied for this pos.)

18%: If we finish 6th or 7th worst. (we are .5 games from 7th)

8%: If we finish 8th or 9th worst. (we are 2.5 games from 9th)

(We have no real chance at having the worst or second worst records, given our big lead on Boston and Memphis)

So, if we stay in current position, we at least have a fighting chance. The odds really tumble as you drop off each tier. I think it's pretty likely we will finish in 6th or 7th position given the soft schedule and our team playing pretty decent (compared to past years).

Thanks for the update txsting. It's going to be real interesting watching how things work out in the last month or so of the season. Maybe not so much with us since I'm confident BK and Woody want 30+ wins if possible. But you gotta figure the temptation to tank for that 3rd worst record is gonna be hard to resist for other teams in our current "win total" area (bottom 1/3rd of the league).

And who knows - maybe Gasol gets on a roll and Memphis starts winning?

Maybe . . but I doubt it. Curry was a scorer, Chandler was a defender. I don't think each of them could co-exist with one another. And because the Chicago guards dominate the ball so much, I can't see both of them emerging into the players that they've become.

Chandler DEFINITELY benefits from playing with Chris Paul. Paul probably gets him 2 - 3 easy baskets a night.

Look for the battle between he and ZaZa to be very interesting. ZaZa is a crafty scorer that uses his body and position to get to the hoop, even if he barely gets off the ground. Chandler is trying to develop somewhat of a post game, with a jump-hook and decent pivot moves on the block. But it's when they get ZaZa in the pick and roll, that Chandler will probably get his points.

Quote:

Maybe not so much with us since I'm confident BK and Woody want 30+ wins if possible. But you gotta figure the temptation to tank for that 3rd worst record is gonna be hard to resist for other teams in our current "win total" area (bottom 1/3rd of the league).

...franchise.

Like I've said, in approximately 2 years, whether they admit it or not, the anti-tankers will regret not tanking, like so many have regretted MW over Paul/Deron and SW over Roy. It takes within 2 years for the hawksquawk fanbase to reach the proper consensus.

W

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe not so much with us since I'm confident BK and Woody want 30+ wins if possible. But you gotta figure the temptation to tank for that 3rd worst record is gonna be hard to resist for other teams in our current "win total" area (bottom 1/3rd of the league).

...franchise.

Like I've said, in approximately 2 years, whether they admit it or not, the anti-tankers will regret not tanking, like so many have regretted MW over Paul/Deron and SW over Roy. It takes within 2 years for the hawksquawk fanbase to reach the proper consensus.

W

I won't regret not losing Josh Smith, and JJ asking to be traded

Quote:

I won't regret
not
losing Josh Smith, and JJ asking to be traded

You think JJ liked the move for AJ. He called for Gasol. That's one very clear sign that JJ ain't a happy camper. He's not one to speak up, but it looks like he's brewing.

W

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

...franchise.

W

Assuming tanking means your plan about sitting JJ, Smoove, etc. more but not folding the tents, I don't think this team was ever going to lay down well enough to tank and be a bottom 3 team. They would have won too many games down the stretch with our easier schedule and we can justify playing JJ fewer minutes but not shutting him down completely. Same for Josh Smith.

I don't think we're trying to lose, we just do. We have the 5th worst record in basketball. We are 3 games out of the 3rd worst record. I want to win at least ten more games. I couldn't stand giving the Suns a top 5. As fans, we just have to hope they pick a bum. But... we might still get the pick.

• Moderators

Quote:

I don't think we're trying to lose, we just do.

I agree. I do think, however, that if you adopted Walter's tanking plan that they would still win too many to finish in the bottom 2 and likely bottom 4.

Quote:

I agree. I do think, however, that if you adopted Walter's tanking plan that they would still win too many to finish in the bottom 2 and likely bottom 4.

We would have been the 1st to "tank" and while more talented than most teams tanking (maybe not Boston with their similar youth, but we'll see) we could easily adopt an effective tanking strategy. We would have had the 3rd or 4th worst record with proper, but not overly excessive tanking (like holding out JS).

I agree we could not tank to the extent that Memphis and Boston are able without simply sitting JJ entirely which I would not be for. After their respective 14 and 15 current wins (recall we won just 13 two years ago, the losers this year aren't THAT bad) Philly and Milwaulkee have 19 and 21. We have 22 despite an 8-7 streak. That 8-7 streak could have been shut down before it ever started. Likely half those wins made loses. We'd have 18 wins now. That's certainly on pace for a 3rd, 4th worst record amongst this year's tankers.

Anyhow, it's too late now. I only cry if we play too poorly to make the playoffs and send a better a 10 pick or better to Pheonix and too well to be a real player in the lottery.

W