• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

So we gave up cap room to get AJ????

CBAreject

I've been busy here, so I didn't realize the implications. AJ will eat up an additional 3 million of our "cap space" for the coming offseason. WOW. This could be THE deal that scuttles the franchise for years.

Some of you think this was a good deal. Doesn't surprise me. The same people think we can go 18-6 and make the playoffs.

This is what AJ will do for us:

1) make us win 1-2 more games

2) cost us 1-2 spots in the lottery order

3) cost us any chance to sign Billups or an impact big

I lost all the respect I had left for Billy Knight just now. This is an absolutely horrible trade. Some of you will be rejoicing when we "progress" to the 8th spot or so. Amazing. You don't realize just how critical this year is. All you think about is how we can be sure to give Phx as bad a pick as possible. How does that help us win a championship again?

Quote:

We can't afford Billups anyways. We need to make a run at Mo Williams. This dude is putting up huge numbers for Milwaukee.

He also blows defensively, he is a great scorer though and not much of a distributor. I think Billy will draft a PG this time. I am sure he has seen enough problems at the PG spot so far and will finaly get it that we need a starting at PG. I hope Acie Law can fall to us or Crittenton.

As I said back when we signed Lo...the only thing that bothers me about these signings is NOT LEAVING OPEN A MAX SLOT.

The Speedy/Lo/AJ deals stockpiled mediocre players who would obliterate an otherwise healthy amount of cap room.

I liked Speedy's signing OK (Lo was fine, too), but I wanted to be sure we left a MAX SLOT for this coming offseason. All of BK's history of spending wisely to preserve cap space were blown when he pissed it away on these three players.

• Premium Member

Quote:

We can't get Mo Williams either.

First, Milwaukee had more cap space than the Hawks to begin with, so this is irrelevant.

Second, the Hawks are still are very intriguing option for players in a S&T. Young players coming off rookie contracts are often signed to new contracts that make them "BYC." BYC contracts are difficult to complete via S&T unless the team receiving the player is under the cap. (This was the case with Joe Johnson). The Hawks are, of course, still under the cap.

If Atlanta wants to complete a S&T with Milwaukee for Mo Williams, or with Orlando for Darko [don't count on it], or Cleveland for Varejao, they can do so fairly easily. Add in the fact that Atlanta has several affordable veterans on expiring contracts and expendable future picks, and you can understand the logic of this trade much more clearly.

Third, you must keep in mind that Knight & Co. are clearly preparing for the 08-09 season as the "big one" for the Hawks. Woodson said earlier in the season that they did not expect to make the playoffs, but were expecting it in 07-08. Honestly, I would be surprised to see the Hawks make a major signing in this offseason. My personal guess is that they will try to trade for a veteran big (center) with an expiring contract. Any deal longer than one year might create problems in the future when trying to retain the youth (see Claxton, Speedy).

If you have seen Anthony Johnson since he's been a member of the Hawks you'd know he's already our best point guard.

Is that an indictment of Billy Knight? absoulutely yes.

Should the Hawks have traded for Johnson, you're damn right they should have.

Quote:

Who is this Cap Room? Does he play center? Or maybe point guard?

He is a young player out of high school with limitless potential that really shot up the draft boards after excellent workouts despite never having played high school ball.

Yeah, let's set up a strawman just like Lascar always likes to do. Let's pretend what CBA wants to do is "draft some 6'8" player out of high school" instead of going with solid, proven vets. That will make him seem stupid so others will accept our point.

So dumb, and you know it. We're not talking about Marvin Williams vs. Andre Miller. We're talking about Greg Oden vs. Anthony Johnson.

AJ is NO KIND OF FUTURE for this franchise. You know it. You just don't want to admit it to yourself.

Guest Walter

Quote:

AJ is NO KIND OF FUTURE for this franchise. You know it. You just don't want to admit it to yourself.

Our rebuild is coding on the table and instead of drastic, life saving action

That's the problem, BK and Woody have this rebuild on DNR (Do Not Resucitate) and the ownership hasn't the will to question their bad ethics. BK and Woody are not going to tank or make a creative, bold move and thereby conceed this rebuild of theirs is DOA. They'll keep it on some brain dead life support, hoping for a spontaneous eye blink here (watch JerryWest wet his pants over it), a high tone seeming muscle contraction (Lascar bites his lower lip with excitement), a simple pain withdrawal response (Dr. KB walks in front of the Senate to insist that perpetual lesser mediocrity is "not consistent with a team in persistent vegetative state").

Our rebuild is coding on the table. Instead of drastic, life saving action we get AJ. We mortgage this team's remote chance at a max FA and the likelihood of drafting a Pg with the Indy pick? Even family member JJ was beggin for a heart transplant in the form of Gasol and he got is a hair cut and shave to pretty-up a dying frankenstein team. It's still frankenstein and BK's still Dr. Jekyl. Until Hawk ownership oversees the quality of care it's GM gives and until another GM is treating this team's ailments the diagnosis will always be wrong, the treatment always insignificant, and the patient always sick.

W

It's like "The Emperor's New Clothes". The team is obviously dead, but if you say so, you're brandished a "non-fan".

Most are scared into cheering over the franchise-wrecking AJ trade. They fear being called out for anti-fandom should they even question this horrendous cap-killing, lottery-spoiling trade, which won't give us even a shot at the playoffs.