• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Would Joakim Be a Happy Hawk?

jaywalker72

I have to ask this question because, as all Gators do, I love the passion and energy that Jo brings to the floor and eternally credit he and his teammates for bringing a unique product to Gainesville these past two seasons. So naturally I would want him as a Hawk.

But should I?

In the NBA, I wonder how his game and emotion/passion is going to translate?

I would think that the grind of the season would whittle that infamous fire away, as well as the teammates that would likely echo the sentiments of Jake Taylor in Major League by saying (paraphrasing, of course), "We got 81 more of these things to go."

Also, one has to wonder as well whether being on a team that is expecting to rebuild with him will weigh on him as well. This season, you can see the expectations on his game affecting him.

So this leaves him with his game, which is predicated (today) on others setting him up. His post game is awkward this season, even getting his shot blocked fairly regularly. His outside shot is same, though not used much.

Could the Hawks draft Noah and not expect him to be a focal point of the offense? It worked for Ben Wallace in Detroit, but does Noah's game really mirror Big Ben's?

With these things, would Noah end up a happy Hawk if drafted by the good guys?

Quote:

I'm a Gator fan too and I have thought of the same sort of thing. I've come to the conclusion that I would probably rather have him be drafted by a team that he fits in with well. I agree with a lot of your points. He is an energy guy and that is one of his biggest assets. On the Hawks, his energy would be great to have, but I would hate to see him in a losing situation, for him and his team.

He doesn't create too many of his own shots, he gets by on offense with energy, good post position, good entry passes, garbage and fast break opportunities. I know he would be an asset for the Hawks on defense and rebounding, but I'm still not sure how he would match up with bigger NBA centers. I think he could put on some more weight and scrap with the big guys, but I'm not sure that is ideal.

I think it sort of depends on what the rest of the Hawks situation is. If the Hawks get a new coach who picks up the tempo a bit, and if they can get a good PG who can create shots for other people, I think he could be a good fit.

I'm a Bama fan Jay. I don't want to see Mo Williams as a Hawk though. I would be devastated if we selected Noah. I think most Hawks fans would agree.

Isn't he only getting like 30 minutes a game and averaging 8/5 or something over the last month or so?

He's a late first or a second to me. He would do well to go to a winning team.

• Premium Member

Noah would fit great with PHX. With us, he really wouldn't help that much. A comparison with Ben Wallace is off, Noah is nowhere near as strong and will not be that great a defensive player in the NBA, he will block shots but not be a good defender.

Noah's parents are well off. he is not hurting for money, therefore he came up a little different than most of us and consequently has a different view on life.

I see him as a Jake Plummer type player. he'll play in the NBA for 7 or 8 years but he'll never develop into a superstar because he just doesn't have the desire. he'd rather be picking flowers somewhere.... and that's cool it just is what it is.

just my opinion. mark the tape.

Quote:

He also has zero offense whatsoever, none to speak of.

He should fit in well with the Hawks other post players then.

In all seriousness, a guy like Noah will live and die based on his defense. No reason he can't be as effective as Tyson Chandler or Marcus Camby - two other athletic, offensively challenged, skinny tall dudes.

Quote:

I have to ask this question because, as all Gators do, I love the passion and energy that Jo brings to the floor and eternally credit he and his teammates for bringing a unique product to Gainesville these past two seasons. So naturally I would want him as a Hawk.

But should I?

In the NBA, I wonder how his game and emotion/passion is going to translate?

I would think that the grind of the season would whittle that infamous fire away, as well as the teammates that would likely echo the sentiments of Jake Taylor in Major League by saying (paraphrasing, of course), "We got 81 more of these things to go."

Also, one has to wonder as well whether being on a team that is expecting to rebuild with him will weigh on him as well. This season, you can see the expectations on his game affecting him.

So this leaves him with his game, which is predicated (today) on others setting him up. His post game is awkward this season, even getting his shot blocked fairly regularly. His outside shot is same, though not used much.

Could the Hawks draft Noah and not expect him to be a focal point of the offense? It worked for Ben Wallace in Detroit, but does Noah's game really mirror Big Ben's?

Jay,

I don't think he would be a good fit in Atlanta. To me, he seems 'moody' and will play when he wants to play...in a way similar to Boris Diaw..

I rather draft Hortford over Noah.. He doesn't have to have a greta offensive game, but play great defense and give a strong effort every night..