• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Sekou: JJ considering a return before season ends.

mrhonline

• Premium Member

Tank you (for proving my point] and JJ

Quote:

I spent a little time with Joe Johnson today while he was getting treatment (the full story will be on ajc.com a little later and the in the Friday paper).
Dude is actually entertaining the idea of returning from his calf injury before the season is out.
Much like Heat star Dwyane Wade, JJ is of the belief that he can make a comeback before mid-April.

For the life of me I can’t see why he’d want to do that. Why risk further injury? Why put yourself in harm’s way if it’s not absolutely necessary?
His reasoning is that the Hawks are just six games out of contention for a playoff spot
and that if they can find a way to scrap together a few more wins while he recovers, he could come back for the final couple of weeks of the season and help them make a final charge. (Who says these guys aren’t competitive and don’t care?)

Quote:

Why risk further injury? Why put yourself in harm’s way if it’s not absolutely necessary?

Because that is what they do. You can't ask a leopard to change it's spots.

Sometimes people seem to forget how hard it is to become a professional athlete. And obviously it is harder still to reach an elite level. You don't get there just on talent. You have to be driven.

Ask any top athlete what it is like sitting on the bench and watching a game and not be able to do anything. They can't stand it.

• Admin

I love his attitude.

I hope he stays off it and waits until next season. Next year's coach (hopfully not Woody) needs to knock JJ's minutes down to about 37 a game. We need to acquire a backup sg in the offseason that can shoot and play a little d that can back JJ up. I think someone like Keith Bogans or Derek Anderson would be a decent backup who can play some minutes for us at teh SG, would not hurt us while he is on the floor and would come cheap. It would also mean no Salim!

Quote:

I love his attitude.

I hope he stays off it and waits until next season. Next year's coach (hopfully not Woody) needs to knock JJ's minutes down to about 37 a game. We need to acquire a backup sg in the offseason that can shoot and play a little d that can back JJ up. I think someone like Keith Bogans or Derek Anderson would be a decent backup who can play some minutes for us at teh SG, would not hurt us while he is on the floor and would come cheap. It would also mean no Salim!

Josh Childress?

• Moderators

I haven't been a big Salim fan, but he should have been getting some minutes all season. His defense and ball handling has improved since last year and he is very quick. We could use someone with his speed. A little experience he'd be good.

• Admin

no he won't.

He is what he is. An undersized shooting guard who can not defend and is a chucker. He hurts the team when he is out there more then he helps.

I would trade him for a second round pick this offseason to whoever will take him.

Problem with Salim is that he's 6' tall. Not big enough to guard most of the SGs in the NBA. Bogans would be a nice addition.

Chill needs to find some aggressiveness this off-season if he's going to be a viable back-up. He has to come with attitude that no one can stop him on drives to the hole. Until he gets that, he'll keep passing up open drives that would result in points. Passing is good, but when you have a lane you have to take it.

Re: Joe, man that is a tough situation for him. He really believes in himself and the Hawks, what an absolutely great guy to have on the team. Joe I hope you make it back with out problem.

• Moderators

I'm not saying Salim should be logging heavy minutes but if he gets some regular action then you have him available for when you need that kind of help. There are plenty of other guys in the nba 6 foot and under. It doesn't necesarily mean you can't play d. Look at Speedy.

Last year I didn't ever want to see Salim on the court but this year with JJ getting buried in triple teams and Lue gone it would have been good to have another shooter out there.

• Admin

The problem is you think that he is a good shooter. He is not. He is a chucker. When you are a chucker, some of your shots will go in. Have you ever watched Jamal Crawford play for the knicks. He makes you cringe everytime he gets the ball. Salim is just like that only worse.

Guest Walter

Quote:

I spent a little time with Joe Johnson today while he was getting treatment (the full story will be on ajc.com a little later and the in the Friday paper).
Dude is actually entertaining the idea of returning from his calf injury before the season is out.
Much like Heat star Dwyane Wade, JJ is of the belief that he can make a comeback before mid-April.

Protect their investment in JJ, salvage a season, and overall rescue a franchise. They need to shut down this team starting with JJ. Shut him down. Guaranteed if JJ comes back the first game he plays he plays over 35 minutes the second over 40. Woody will go right back to killing him. By then we should be in full tank mode. Our ownership has to get some balls here and demand what's best for their franchise.

W

What I can't stand about Salim is that he's slow with the ball...

For instance, last night against Philly he was bringing the ball up against Steven Hunter and couldn't even shake him to get around him as he was being pressed in the backcourt... Eventually had to pass it up...