• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Bright Side of the Johnson injury

TheDude

The good part about Johnson being out is the young guns learning how to play basketball without having to lean on Joe. NOne of that give it to Joe and clear out offense. It's puts more pressure on them to play the right way.

Not to mention more playing time for the young guns.

I agree and as crazy as it sounds we can still make the playoffs. Were only 4 1/2 games back and teams like Orlando, Nets, and Pacers are falling real fast. Huge game tomorrow night against the Sixers. We HAVE to win that game!

The first thing I thought after we won three straight was perhaps Joe's injury was a blessing in disguise.

I was nervous about those games going down the stretch because we didn't have JJ to lean on, but everyone has stepped up their game.

If we can stay focused and if our young guys can step it up every night, we will get mighty close to that 8th seed and for the first time in years we will have some meaningful games in April.

'And that is part of the reason that Smoove is as good as he is this year. The last half of his rookie season he played almost every minute. Sad part is that it should've been happening all along. There is a desperateness to Woody playing JJ so much that eventaully caught up with him. Makes me think that he does not know how to develop a TEAM, let alone individual talents.

Quote:

'And that is part of the reason that Smoove is as good as he is this year. The last half of his rookie season he played almost every minute. Sad part is that it should've been happening all along. There is a desperateness to Woody playing JJ so much that eventaully caught up with him. Makes me think that he does not know how to develop a TEAM, let alone individual talents.

I tend to agree.

I also think JJ has to get others - Smoove in particular - involved so that he does not have to carry the load.

Playing 40 minutes a night will shorten his career.

Quote:

Quote:

I tend to agree.

I also think JJ has to get others - Smoove in particular - involved so that he does not have to carry the load.

Playing 40 minutes a night will shorten his career.

This is JJ's second breakdown which could be directly traced to too many minutes.

• Premium Member

Quote:

This is JJ's second breakdown which could be directly traced to too many minutes.

And I bet this fool Woodson would go right back to his old substitution pattern if JJ suddenly got healthy again. The man just can't coach period!

• Premium Member

Not that JJ is a problem, but let us remember, JJ came here from a good situation because he wanted to be "the man". So we fought for him, got him and made him "the man". Let's not be so quick to point to JJ's minutes. JJ was a high minute player when we traded for him...

My hope is that we get a new coach.

However if we don't, we should now open up our minds and see that JJ doesn't have to be our offense alone.. but that we should utilize everybody. If that means that JJ becomes a 2nd option in some sets, so be it. However, we have to get some plays going to the rim or in the low post. We suffer from a lack of easy scores. Even in our previous wins, we shot well from outside more than we found ways to score inside.. (except Zaza).. Play more of the Zaza repost offense!!!

i think one of the aftereffects is forced chemistry. these players are learning more how to play with each other.

not only that but they're having to set each other up and learn how to play two man games also. also when leaders emerge in times like this (smoove).

Quote:

JJ did try to dribble through double teams a lot rather than passing out quickly. It looked like he felt he had to carry the load himself. Hopefully now he realizes that the young guys are developing and he should trust them more.

When is JJ coming back? Any updates.

Quote:

JJ did try to dribble through double teams a lot rather than passing out quickly. It looked like he felt he had to carry the load himself. Hopefully now he realizes that the young guys are developing and he should trust them more.

a lot of this could be solved in the Hawks get a PG to run the offense through as opposed to pass it around the perimeter and watch Joe shoot.

really, how do you expect to get Josh Smith involved in the offense if Childress is bringing the ball up and Joe is dribbling on the perimeter?

Quote:

Quote:

a lot of this could be solved in the Hawks get a PG to run the offense through

I hate to do this to you but.......

captain20obvious.jpg

Quote:

JJ does trust the young guys. He has no problem deferring to them. It's just that when you get down by 7 - 9 points because the young guys are turning the ball over ( Smoove - 9 turnovers in the Knicks game ) . . or not making their shots ( Marvin going through those 4 - 5 straight miss lulls in his game ), then the star player has to take things into his own hands.

The youngins need to be consistent. If that happens, we'll be a better team, even with JJ plays. Smoove has gotten 15 shots up in a game before, but never came close to making 10 - 15 . . let alone 12 of 15. And when is the last time ZaZa grabbed 15 rebounds? Salim with a 13 point, 5 rebound, 4 assist game?

These kids need to do this when JJ plays, not just when he's out. If they do this when he plays, we'd win games more comfortably, and JJ wouldn't have to play 40 minutes a game.