• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

With the Indy pick now gone, how do we improve....

Guest Walter

The whole point is that you are accepting that things are bad. That then relieves you from the aggravation of it all, which really won't change a thing anyway. You're then free to focus on what can do: If you're in traffic, listen to that new CD, or call some friends you haven't spoken to in awhile. If it's a mistake that you can't fix, think how you'll handle things the next time. And if you're a Hawks fan - perhaps the greatest challenge of all - focus on what's in our control: in this case, a playoff push.

I don't know if I articulated this well, but I think you get the idea.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Quote:

The whole point is that you are
accepting
that things are bad. That then relieves you from the aggravation of it all, which really won't change a thing anyway. You're then free to focus on what
can
do: If you're in traffic, listen to that new CD, or call some friends you haven't spoken to in awhile. If it's a mistake that you can't fix, think how you'll handle things the next time. And if you're a Hawks fan - perhaps the greatest challenge of all - focus on what's in our control: in this case, a playoff push.

I don't know if I articulated this well, but I think you get the idea.

Very well. That's become my philosophy.

Believe me, if I had any say in the Hawks' decisions, I would voice my concerns. Instead, I'll just enjoy being a fan.

what kind of logic is that?

not getting paul/deron/felton is a sunk cost

and how well they do has NOTHING to do with marvin's potential or lack thereof

marvin has potential, thus that's a positive

sure, deron woulda been a better pick AT THIS POINT, but that doesn't take away from how good marvin may or may not be

also, joe/chill don't share the same position...chill is just as effective at sf as sg, if not more so...jj=2, chill=3, smoove=4...so we have 3 great players at 3 positions...we are a starting pg and starting c away from a great team

• Premium Member

Marvin looks like a NBDL player at this point. What kind of "potential" are you seeing out there on the court?

Out of the 3 guys we do have only two of them are starters and Smoove is playing OOP at the 4 when he should be in at the three. Instead we have the Wonderbust eating up minutes at that position.

• Moderators

Quote:

Marvin looks like a NBDL player at this point. What kind of "potential" are you seeing out there on the court?

Out of the 3 guys we do have only two of them are starters and Smoove is playing OOP at the 4 when he should be in at the three. Instead we have the Wonderbust eating up minutes at that position.

Marvin looks like he is well on his way to being a quality NBA starter. He is nowhere near an NBDL player.

Smoove also has played MUCH better at PF than at SF so I don't think that is a mistake.

• Premium Member

Quote:

He does? What games have you watched this season to make you think that? I'm sure Shellhead is on pace to be the next Karl Malone then.
uglyhammer.gif

What a load of crap. Shelden has nothing to do with Marvin.

Since the All-Star break, Marvin (at age 20) is putting up 15/5 on 49% shooting. If NBDL players could do that vs. the highest level of competition, we'd all be getting season tickets.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

He does? What games have you watched this season to make you think that? I'm sure Shellhead is on pace to be the next Karl Malone then.
uglyhammer.gif

Since the All-Star break, Marvin (at age 20) is putting up 15/5 on 49% shooting. If NBDL players could do that vs. the highest level of competition, we'd all be getting season tickets.

Beaten to the punch, so to speak.

Marvin has improved his scoring every month of his career but one. He has to get more aggressive but I see no reason in the world to think he won't be at least a quality SF starter and plenty of reason to think that he could still be more than that given the growth I think he has left in his game.

Quote:

Quote:

uglyhammer.gif

Chris Paul was putting up much better numbers last year at the ago of 20. stirthepot.gif

Quote:

Chris Paul was putting up much better numbers last year at the ago of 20.
stirthepot.gif

Damon Stoudemire had better numbers than Garnett his first 3 years in the league. How did that turn out?

Go look at Van Horn vs McGrady.

Go ahead and proclaim what Marvin won't ever amount to all you want but look forward to eating some crow in a year.

Josh Smith had a breakout season this year and there is no reason why Marvin can't have one next year.

Even despite missing a significant amount of hte first half of the season due to injury, Marvin still has been improving.

And as someone mentioned he's basically improved every single month he's been in the league.

He's shown the same flashes of greatness that we saw from Smoove before he started to become more consistent.

Marvin is very capable of scoring 17-20 PPG in this league and I believe we will see that as early as next year.

But I forgot, fickle fans can't wait that long.

Quote:

what kind of logic is that?

not getting paul/deron/felton is a sunk cost

and how well they do has NOTHING to do with marvin's potential or lack thereof

marvin has potential, thus that's a positive

sure, deron woulda been a better pick AT THIS POINT, but that doesn't take away from how good marvin may or may not be

Very intelligent post. Not getting those players is most certainly a sunk cost. They would be better picks than Marvin, but you are 100% right in saying that it has nothing to do with Marvin as a player. He can still realize his potential. Him being picked #2 overall ahead of better players does not take away from his ability and instantly cause him to be nothing more than NBDL caliber. He has shown slow but steady improvement, and I think next year he will prove to be an integral part of this team along with JJ/Smoove.

Yea Ahf and most people don't realize that Marvin is defending the other teams best offensive players like last few games for example: Igoudala and Pierce. And he also defends pg's extremly well for his size. Josh Smith is never put in that situation to defend a good offensive player 1 on 1 for the whole game. He was guarding Perkins the last game instead of Big Al. If he wants to be our 2nd best player than he needs to stop guys like big Al or at least contain them.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

uglyhammer.gif

Ah how quickly we forget that Diesel has proclaimed Shellhead the next Karl Malone. I find that just as laughable an idea that Superbust Marvin is somehow showing he was worth his pick. Superbust hasn't shown me anything on the court to show he was even remotely worth the #2 pick in the draft. Meanwhile the point guards we SHOULD have taken go about playing at an All-star/MVP type level.

Putting up fifteen points a game against a disinterested defense isn't impressive in the slightest.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Yea Ahf and most people don't realize that Marvin is defending the other teams best offensive players like last few games for example: Igoudala and Pierce. And he also defends pg's extremly well for his size. Josh Smith is never put in that situation to defend a good offensive player 1 on 1 for the whole game.

Wow, you reached deep for that BS. If I recall, Smoove guarded both KG and Dirk when we played their teams. Tonight vs. Indy, who do you think will be guarding JO??

Quote:

I find that just as laughable an idea that Superbust Marvin is somehow showing he was worth his pick. Superbust hasn't shown me anything on the court to show he was even remotely worth the #2 pick in the draft. Meanwhile the point guards we SHOULD have taken go about playing at an All-star/MVP type level.

Putting up fifteen points a game against a disinterested defense isn't impressive in the slightest.

Super bust???

So 15/5 is SUper bust numbers??? Disinterested defense??? He gets most of his points in the 1st half so how disinterested are the defenses???

And like I said, because those PGs have better numbers in their first two years of the league it means they are better?

So you would take Damon SToudemire over Garnett?

Keith Varn Horn over Mcgrady?

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

uglyhammer.gif

Ah how quickly we forget that Diesel has proclaimed Shellhead the next Karl Malone. I find that just as laughable an idea that Superbust Marvin is somehow showing he was worth his pick. Superbust hasn't shown me anything on the court to show he was even remotely worth the #2 pick in the draft. Meanwhile the point guards we SHOULD have taken go about playing at an All-star/MVP type level.

Nitpicking on this post aside, you have moved from calling Marvin an NBDL player to saying he isn't as good a draft pick as Chris Paul and Deron Williams. This is an entirely different point.

While there are some who still debate the point, it is obvious that either of those players would have been better picks to date than Marvin.

However, it is equally obvious that Marvin is much better than an NBDL player.

I would love to see all of our young guys under a competent coach. Gotta think it would make a world of difference. I don't think that Woody instills confidence in his guys and for a bunch of young players that makes all the difference in the world. Marvin is coming around just like Smoove has come around.

Guest Walter

Quote:

While there are some who still debate the point, it is obvious that either of those players would have been better picks to date than Marvin.

However, it is equally obvious that Marvin is much better than an NBDL player.

...comforting how?

Personally, I think MW's importance to us is closer to that of an NBDL player than what CP3's or Deron's importance to us would be. He is very much redudant for this team and he's not that good aside from whether or not he fills a need.

Jeremy Richardson (?) or an MLE player could fill much of MW's scoring role (and he doesn't do much else particularly well that I've seen). A Pg like Deron or Paul would be inversely invaluable to this team.

W