• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

When do the owners go back to court?

DeacKillsaDevil

there was an article on ajc about it. a decision won't happen for months so you don't have to worry about any significant changes in terms of ownership. the rules from last offseason will still apply for this one. no four year deals without belkin's approval.

• Moderators

They did already go back to Court. Lunarblues is right that there is no set deadline for a ruling. It could be now, it could be in 6 months. More likely it will happen sometime in the summer/early fall period.

That pretty much sucks because it decreases the chances that Woody and BK are fired and decreases the chances of the team making any meaningful free agent moves.

Still, the young core (JJ, Smoove, Chill, Marvin and (sadly Zaza) should have enough experience next year to muster up a winning season as long as they continue to develop. I will be disappointed with anything less then 42 wins next year.

• Moderators

Quote:

...let it linger like this? Or is he powerless?

Stern is powerless on this issue unless he wants to charge into Court and argue it is materially affecting the value of the league and that he somehow has standing to be part of the process. That isn't going to happen.

Quote:

The fact that there's any limitations puts the team at a competitive disadvantage.

Yep.

Quote:

AHF - why does it take so much time between court dates? Does this scenario require a quick decision?

It is routine for things to take a while to move throught the Court system. I have an appeal I handling with an appellate Court right now where it is clear we will prevail (the appeal is actually frivolous). However, nothing has been done since last November because the appeals Court is waiting on the official record from the trial Court and it just hasn't been sent from south Georgia yet (they are notoriously slow where the case originated).

With an appeal you have 3 judges who have to each reach a decision and then render a written opinion or sometimes multiple opinions in the judges don't agree. They also have plenty of other cases on their docket so they let their law clerks put something together with guidance from the judge then finalize it and get it out when they get it done. That usually takes several months. Some Courts are much faster than others, though. I don't know anything about the speed of the appellate Court in Maryland.

• Moderators

Quote:

Ok, thanks. It's just beyond comprehension how this franchise has been - and will continue to be - handicapped for so long.

What other fans have ever had to endure such a situation?

As far as I know, this is unique in sports history. It is a pretty unusual procedural posture for any litigants, for that matter.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Ok, thanks. It's just beyond comprehension how this franchise has been - and will continue to be - handicapped for so long.

What other fans have ever had to endure such a situation?

We were playing two marbles short long before the ownership fiasco became punitive.

W