• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Heat @ Hawks

gsuteke

if we don't make the playoffs, it'll be ok

if we can be competitive to end the year (even 50% puts us at 34 wins), then we will be a FRINGE PLAYOFF TEAM that was harmed by TONS of injuries and losing their allstar for 25% of the season

if we tank, then we will be the LOWLY HAWKS and may not even get oden to help erase that

i'd rather be considered a FRINGE PLAYOFF TEAM that is up and coming and projected to make the playoffs next year rather than a tanking LOWLY TEAM

Quote:

Marvin threw up a lot of bricks and Smith threw several bad passes so i wouldn't sing their praises too much right now. They are still a work in progress.

yet they still have a better fg% than the rest of the team (and 45% isn't bad anyway) and they have as many steals/blocks as turnovers...not to mention the assists and the lack of fouls...

not saying they are doing amazing, but saying that the rest of the team isn't helping them much...if the other players stepped up, we'd be winning right now instead of losing

Not me I would rather end up with the 3rd worse record(big difference between 3rd and 4th slots in ping pong balls) and take a chance at glory and a potential dynasty(I know thats saying alot) than be scraping by with marginal talent maybe winning a few playoff games in the next few yrs and getting bounced out. This is the draft to get a big man if not Oden then the 3rd pick could be used for a trade or Hawes or someone that can fill a big need.

Now if they get the first or second pick were set if they finish out of the top 3 then oh well nothing lost anyway since the Hawks didn't make the playoffs anyway. To heck with Phoenix I am worried about the Hawks we need more talent.

Anyone see the after game show last night with barley and TNT not one word about the Hawks even in the playoff picture. The Hawks have no repsect but with a top talent in this draft other teams would fear us. COME OVER TO THE LIGHT GUYS IN THE PRO TANKERS CORNER!

nothing lost?

the ONLY thing gained by tanking is an increased shot at top 3 pick

but we lose any respect we have, we lose our momentum in gaining respect, our players lose their confidence in the team, jj gets discouraged, smoove gets discouraged, etc etc

by just barely missing the playoffs, we gain respect, momentum, etc

we lose the increased shot at top 3 pick

best scenario: we make playoffs

2nd best scenario: we miss playoffs by 1 game but get lucky and get #1 pick

nth best scenario: we tank and get lucky and get #1 pick

worst scenario: we tank and get 4th pick to give phoenix

Another loss for the Hawks. They failed to capitalize on Shaq's foul troubles.

Realistically the Hawks are only "in" the playoff race because the other pretenders suck too.

Of all the east teams on the outside looking in I am beginning to think that Boston would have the best shot of actually winning games in the playoffs because of their strong one/two punch. Obviously they are too far behind to make it, but they should be watched next year.

Guest Walter

Quote:

if we don't make the playoffs, it'll be ok

...for Pheonix.

Quote:

if we can be competitive to end the year (even 50% puts us at 34 wins), then we will be a FRINGE PLAYOFF TEAM that was harmed by TONS of injuries and losing their allstar for 25% of the season

What a lovely best case. Unfortunately, all this makes for AT BEST an 8th seed, 1st rd playoff exit in the weak EC. That's the best this team will ever do over the next 3 years (before JJ is either used up or moving on). Take it to the bank.

Quote:

if we tank, then we will be the LOWLY HAWKS and may not even get oden to help erase that.

1) Missing playoffs (same talent) = "OK"

2) Intentionally missing the playoffs (same talent) + Oden = "Lowly"

WTF?!?

This is either just ignorant or just really ignorant. How does missing the playoffs make us "OK" (whatever that means) and tanking EVEN IF IT GETS US ODEN make us "Lowly". You are no less talented following a tank.

We'd be just as talented, yet we could add the #1 pick in the #1 draft for bigs! Nothing like Oden or Durant to reenergize a franchise immediately and make it a contender soon. Otherwise, we're back to marginal and insignificant.

Quote:

i'd rather be considered a FRINGE PLAYOFF TEAM that is up and coming and projected to make the playoffs next year rather than a tanking LOWLY TEAM

"Up and coming"??? pillepalle.gif We will remain AT BEST a fringe playoff team. The GS of the east (which makes us somehow worse than the GS of the west). If you want your life to be boring, ho-hum, but predictably average, then fine, don't take risks with your money...

Don't, however, d@mn your competitive sports team to such a meaningless, cowardly existence. Play to win...WHAT?!? The NBA title. Otherwise, you're projecting your own little person fear in life on your sports team. Take risk, not settle!

W

Bravo Walter, great post! We have what 13 games to go and are back how many plus what is the payoff making the playoffs and being ousted THEN losing our pick to phoenix ,no free agent signings and poosibly losing the indiana pick equals A MARGINAL TEAM SCRAPING EVERY YEAR TO BE JUST ANOTHER TEAM. No dice, just russian.gif shootme.

BIG BIG BIGS will solve alot of problems not the current roster now. How do we get BIGS if not through the draft.Dwight Howard isn't going to be leaving Orlando anytime soon.They have the right to match any offer any Orlando will. Give me a chance at GREATNESS instead of playoffs exists every year since the talent isn't good enough to win championships. thumb3d.gif

Guest Walter

Quote:

Give me a chance at GREATNESS instead of playoffs exists every year since the talent isn't good enough to win championships.
thumb3d.gif

It's fine to want a humble existence for yourself IMO. Might even be preferable. Sports and competition are different from human existence. The human race is so successful the least of it can spawn many times over. Hell, I just treated the 23 yr old mother of the most back woods of back woods, live in a tent family of 4 in the hospital. Do we want the Hawks to resemble that family? "Successful" enough to have several kids and all, but living a terrible existence.

I want the league to be talking about how to emulate the Atlanta Hawks not why to avoid their pitfalls and end up living under the big tent of lesser mediocrity! We'll always be outsiders of the truly successful club without a significant talent upgrade and we're not getting that without some creative, bold moves...the most likely having been if not being a successful tank this year.

W