• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Billy Knight may be vindicated after all

Johnnybravo4

Quote:

Quote:

A freak injury doesn't change how bad of a decision it was to pass over three franchise point guards (Deron, Paul, Felton in that order) for a SF when we already had a young SF in Smoove.

then portland can't be ridiculed for drafting Bowie over Jordan because Bowie got injured that killed his career also.

That was what I was trying to say.

Quote:

That's BS too JB.

Just because there are a sea of PGs and one Sf doesn't mean you just pick the Sf. Nor do you make draft choices (that high) to prove a point to a player.

The point here is very simple:

It's definitely very difficult to find good PGs and Centers in this league. We had an opportunity and we picked a player for which we had 5 others who could play the same position.

That makes BK dumb.

Very true. But with that logic, the Hawks would pass on Kevin Durant, and take a guy like Mike Conley Jr or Acie Law IV instead, because they need a PG more than they need an athletic scorer.

But do the Hawks pass on Durant, just because they have Marvin, Smoove, and Chill in the mix right now? I don't think so. We take Durant, and we STILL would need a PG. But do you pass on a talent like that, in order to take a need player?

This board is funny like that. When we go with the "potential and the talent", BK gets criticized because everyone knew that we needed a PG. When he goes with the "need player", BK gets criticized, because everybody wanted the guy or guys with talent, even though they didn't play a position that we were weak at.

He went for the potential star talent, when we didn't have a bonafide star on the team. He went for need talent, when we had a star and a few more potential star players on the squad. LOL . . but hindsight says that he should've did everything in reverse. Hindsight is great for disgruntled fans.

GMs in this league are terrified of missing out on a young player who have "supposedly" great potential. They don't want to miss out in the next Kobe, T-Mac, LeBron, Garnett, or Stoudamire, just because they're young and raw. The safer, more sound picks, usually get passed up.

Sometimes the GM is right. Sometimes they're wrong. When they make mistakes, but the player is talented, he can be used as trade bait in order to get the need player. For us, that player may be Marvin, or Chill, or Shelden that is dealt.

But we had to see which guy had the most potential, instead of putting our future in just 2 of those guys, and hoping they pan out. Evaulate them for a few years, and when your team gets good enough to be a playoff team, but needs extra help, deal one of them to get the "need player".

Not to mention that BK hinted that he found it frustrating that they couldnt share all the extensive medical info that they got pre draft and that there was a very good guy that they passed on because of a hot spot in his foot. That guy could have been Chris Paul, he wasn't allowed to say.

• Premium Member

The logic still holds true... if the Hawks have the opportunity to get Durant, then it should probably trade Marvin for a pick that could be Law or for a player that's either a PG or a C. BK was mistaken in thinking that he can just call a player a PG (JJ) and they would automatically be that or he could just call a guy a SG (Chillz) or a guy a PF (Smoove) and they could just be that. However, these position come with skillsets. What we lack as a team is skillsets..

So do I advise passing on Durant? NO. However, if we take him, we must delete the duplication and address our holes in skillset..

• Premium Member

One more thing..

Potential means absolutely nothing until it's realized. Ask those people who bought into the Tim Thomas line. Thomas was supposed to be the second coming of KG. He definitely has the "potential" but unrealized potential means nothing.. especially when you don't have the room to gamble.

Going into the 2005 draft, there was nothing that made Marvin head and shoulders better than Deron or Paul...

Guest Walter

Quote:

And that's the nonsense of all this. If (huge "if") Paul does become an injury plagued player, those who said his body wasn't built for the NBA will look like geniuses (for no good reason), and all the "experts" who originally said he shouldn't be #1 or #2, who then flip flopped to say that he SHOULD have been, will flip back to their original postions, and still maintain their "expert" status.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Very true. But with that logic, the Hawks would pass on Kevin Durant, and take a guy like Mike Conley Jr or Acie Law IV instead, because they need a PG more than they need an athletic scorer.

This is WAY off, because Conley and Acie Law aren't ranked anywhere NEAR the top 3 of the draft. Deron/Paul/Felton were the #3, 4, and 5 prospects available, and some actually had Deron/Paul ranked ahead of Marvin. Taking Conley #2 would have been like taking Jarrett Jack #2 overall, completely different scenarios.

But the point remains, had Marvin had an outstanding Freshman year like Durant/Melo, I would understand the drafting of him, regardless of how many SFs we had. But he was just so unproven and we already had Harrington/Smith/Chill/Diaw/Donta, 3 of which were 1st round picks so it was a horrible decision.

Good grief walt.

You posted continuously on RealGM that Paul would be horrible in the NBA. You did a "statistical analysis" of how bad he would be. You said that he would get injured often. Now talk about revisionist history...

Quote:

Quote:

Plus if Paul was playing here, he may have never injured his foot.

Our coaches would never overwork Chris Paul. We don't do that here in Atlanta.

(Clarification - Sarcasm)

That clarification was probably needed for some, which is funny and sad at the same time.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Plus if Paul was playing here, he may have never injured his foot.

Our coaches would never overwork Chris Paul. We don't do that here in Atlanta.

(Clarification - Sarcasm)

That clarification was probably needed for some, which is funny and sad at the same time.

Is that what Paul's injury came from? Or was it something that happened, I really don't know, haven't paid attention.

As someone else said, it's not a good comparison between Acie and Deron/Chris. The latter were seen as top 5 talent.

Also, Marvin was picked on potential. Passing on him would have been understandable, especially with two franchise PG's available.

Durant is as about as can't miss as they come. He's in a different league than Marvin.

Quote:

Good grief walt.

You posted continuously on RealGM that Paul would be horrible in the NBA. You did a "statistical analysis" of how bad he would be. You said that he would get injured often. Now talk about revisionist history...

i was wondering when someone would bring that up. talk about flip-flop. on different forums no less.

Guest Walter

Quote:

My comparison of Paul was relative to Bogut. My argument wasn't that Paul would get injured often as it was obvious he was a tough SOB. I was wrong about Bogut to some degree but I'd rather have him then MW and I also stated I wanted Deron ahead of Paul ahead of MW @ pick #2.

W

I just find it funny how Paul was a lock for having a better career than Marvin after their first season.

Not just because of injuries, but just because one or two years does not equal a whole career.

I keep referring to the Damon Stoudemire/Kevin Garnett situation.

Go look at Damon Stoudemire's first three years in the league. Absolutely SENSATIONAL.

Stoudemire had BETTER UMBERS ALL AROUND than Chris Paul.

Kevin Garnett? Not so much.

Then in that 4th year their careers went in opposite directions.

This is not to say Marvin is the next KG or Paul is the next Stoudemire, but it's just so hilarious how in this day and age people have this tunnel vision and knee jerk reactions. It's either now or never with people.

Paul > Marvin in their first 2 years mean it will be the same when you look back 20 years according to the logic people use.

Quote:

That was last year's draft and it was rumored to be Roy he was talking about. Which turned out to be nothing.

He gave no indication if he was referring to someone from that draft or the previous one as he was talking in general terms about the media being unfair because they don't have all the medical info on the guys he passes on. We speculated that it was Roy when Roy went down but we have no real idea who it was and could easily have been Paul.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Chris Paul will almost certainly have to get a screw inserted in his foot at season's end, but should have enough time to recover in order to be ready for the start of next season. Whether you're a Hornets fan or not, you should be rooting for a full recovery.

I didn't realize that CP3 is still playing. If he's still able to play, then I doubt this surgery will have any hindering on his future.