• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Josh Leading DPOY Candidate?

Johnnybravo4

Quote:

He also avg 1.5 steals per game. I think he does a good job defending PF's who outweigh him by about 20 lbs. Plus help defense, is defense. I can't recall any player who avg 2.9bpg and is second in the league in BPG and overall blocks who was considered not a good defender.

Well, personally I did not consider Theo Ratliff a good overall defender. I think he was DPOY once but he was the product of a good system and the overemphasis on block shots.

Don't get me wrong, Smoove has potential to be a great defender, but I don't think he is anywhere close to realizing his potential in that area.

Quote:

He also avg 1.5 steals per game. I think he does a good job defending PF's who outweigh him by about 20 lbs. Plus help defense, is defense. I can't recall any player who avg 2.9bpg and is second in the league in BPG and overall blocks who was considered not a good defender.

I'm saying. I mean the cat is 21 y.o. and putting these numbers up is insane. People will always hate even if the Hawks had MJ some would stilltry to find weaknesses and only talk about what he can't do instead of what he can do.

Quote:

...Well, personally I did not consider Theo Ratliff a good overall defender. I think he was DPOY once but he was the product of a good system and the overemphasis on block shots.

Don't get me wrong, Smoove has potential to be a great defender, but I don't think he is anywhere close to realizing his potential in that area.

I certainly see your point EDS...but truth is the DPOY award often goes to the glamorous shotblocker over the blue collar positional defender. Just the way it has been.

So, even if JS doesn't quite deserve it - but gets it - I'll be happy for him.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I honestly do not think Josh Smith is a great defensive player. He is a great shotblocker but nothing else.

Watch past DPOY's, you will see them get scored on at will at times also. The facts are that Smith is a game changing defender, and some games he completely takes over defensively.

Even Artest/Kirilenko get murked sometimes..