• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

NYKnicks sign Randolph Morrs $1.6m/2yrs

bisonblu

• Moderators

Hard to believe we couldn't outbid that deal. If Morris comes to anything BK should bury his head in shame because there was zero opportunity cost other than the cash in signing him (unlike with draft picks).

Guest Walter

Quote:

Hawks are pitiful, they couldnt even match a $1.6M deal for a 6-11 hometown big avg. 16ppg/8reb.

No way ownership wouldn't OK this deal it's so GD cheap! Certainly they would OK this. Just another horrible GM error, this one by omission.

W

Do you remember what Rex Chapman said publicly last year:

"In my mind, he's not a draft pick," Chapman said. "He doesn't have any post moves. He's not long. He's short. And he doesn't get off the ground.

"Where is he going to play? Most guys with a body like his have to play power forward in the NBA. Most power forwards his size have perimeter skills, which he doesn't have. Or they have to be athletic, which he isn't."

"I was there for one private workout with (Memphis president of basketball operations) Jerry West and some of the top talent evaluators in the NBA," Chapman said. "(Morris) looked like he couldn't even fake it for an hour.

"It was like, 'I'm 6-9. I'm supposed to be a basketball player. But I don't necessarily enjoy it. I don't enjoy competing.' "

Has Morris really changed that much in one year?

Quote:

Hard to believe we couldn't outbid that deal. If Morris comes to anything BK should bury his head in shame because there was zero opportunity cost other than the cash in signing him (unlike with draft picks).

I thought the NYK's were well over the salary cap - how did they do this??????????????????

(I'm no salary cap Guru - obviously)

Oh well.....we got A.J. shrug.gif

Quote:

"In my mind, he's not a draft pick," Chapman said. "He doesn't have any post moves. He's not long. He's short. And he doesn't get off the ground.

"Where is he going to play? Most guys with a body like his have to play power forward in the NBA. Most power forwards his size have perimeter skills, which he doesn't have. Or they have to be athletic, which he isn't."

"I was there for one private workout with (Memphis president of basketball operations) Jerry West and some of the top talent evaluators in the NBA," Chapman said. "(Morris) looked like he couldn't even fake it for an hour.

"It was like, 'I'm 6-9. I'm supposed to be a basketball player. But I don't necessarily enjoy it. I don't enjoy competing.' "

Hmmmm. Well that puts a little bit more perspective on it (and I know absolutely nuttin about Randolph Morris btw).

If the kid does turn out to be a player, then BK and Hawks ownership should certainly be held accountable for not being able to come up with a better offer than the small contract NY signed him to. But on the flip side of that and going along with Chapman's take on Morris, in light of that it seems pretty apparent that the guy must have had some issues or some serious flaws in his game or his personality or whatever.....because the reality is that anyone could have signed him, especially for that relatively piddling amount of money. But teams obviously weren't knocking his door down trying to sign him and boosting up his price tag, and there have got to be reasons for that.

And I find it highly doubtful that Rex Chapman would knock a fellow UK player like that so harshly just for the hell of it. So I'm not gonna cry about not signing him just yet, nor will I slam BK for not doing so unless there comes a time when that criticism is warranted- ie if Morris ever actually becomes a player.

Quote:

well there are 30 gms out there who also did not get him so he can't be all that great.

Well how many of the others suck in the paint as much as us....huh?

Geeeeeeeeezus....are we losers or what? We laughed at how pitiful the NYK's were last year and now they are competing for the playoffs. Now they have a (basically) free 6'11' player who competed in a strong conference. RRRRRRR pillepalle.gif

We have Shelden "The Landlord" in the middle. Why would anybody think we need help on the inside? Come on now. The Landlord will shut down our paint for years to come.

You guys are all just getting greedy wanting Morris. We are loaded in the paint. BK probably wasn't able to promise Morris ahead of time so that's why we couldn't get him.

so i'm assuming you disagree with Rex Chapman because you were there and have watched all the Kentucky games..plus i assume you disagree with him cuz you replied to my same post twice.

so we should pick him up just because he's 6'11"? what about the whole HeSucks part...

i admit that I wanted BK to look at him but if he sucks, he sucks.

• Moderators

Quote:

so i'm assuming you disagree with Rex Chapman because you were there and have watched all the Kentucky games..plus i assume you disagree with him cuz you replied to my same post twice.

so we should pick him up just because he's 6'11"? what about the whole HeSucks part...

i admit that I wanted BK to look at him but if he sucks, he sucks.

You know Chapman's comments came after Morris' freshman year when he was incredibly immature and before he returned and improved to more than double his stats from the time of Chapman's comments and became the centerpiece of this year's (mediocre admittedly) Kentucky team?

The guy was worth taking a $2M flier on - plus we could have thrown in a few more $$ and added him to the roster today for the rest of the season.

Guest Walter

Quote:

...& that was 2 years ago. Morris doesn't have to change at all to be worth this amount of money. Yes, he has changed some and physically considerably.

W

Quote:

Quote:

...& that was 2 years ago. Morris doesn't have to change at all to be worth this amount of money. Yes, he has changed some and physically considerably.

Edited to remove mistake. And the difference between Edwards and Morris is that Edwards has the size to play center, while Morris doesn't. I suspect Morris will be like Edwards in that he will be out of the league before long.

I think he will be a forever backup pf or c. Not that we couldn't use some more size, but we've got a couple bigs on the bench that never see the floor.

Besides, I WOULD MUCH RATHER SEE SOLOMON GET THE MINUTES. The way he has come on is exciting and he needs as many minutes as he can get.