• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Id rather have the 2nd pick, not #1

NJHAWK

For two reasons. #1. The pressure to take Oden will be super. Billy Knight would almost have to take him and he will prolly be at best a skinny Eric Dampier. #2. When this happens ( Durant thrives while Oden Flops or just doesnt become a star} most of you will jump all over Billy for not taking Durant and say all along that you wanted Durant, even though you wanted Oden. thanx

• Premium Member

Quote:

For two reasons. #1. The pressure to take Oden will be super. Billy Knight would almost have to take him and he will prolly be at best a skinny Eric Dampier. #2. When this happens ( Durant thrives while Oden Flops or just doesnt become a star} most of you will jump all over Billy for not taking Durant and say all along that you wanted Durant, even though you wanted Oden. thanx

Hilarious.

Quote:

Quote:

Hilarious.

Seconded! Oden will be a defensive force his entire career. I assume he will become a great passer ala Shaq drawing so many doubles.

Guest Walter

Quote:

I think both will be eventual superstars. I could select either one and I go back and forth on who to select. Here's my criteria as of now, realizing that workouts (ehem, Dr. Z) could actually go a long way to determining who to selelct.

My critieria is this: COMPLETE THE MAJOR COMPONENTS OF THE TEAM NOW! This should have been done last offseason with all it's capital and flexibility, but with a top 2 pick in this draft we would have more capital and the timing last year was in part determined by an anticipated decrease in cap flexibility (happened), no major trade component (happened) and draft captital (likely happens).

COMPLETE THE MAJOR COMPONENTS OF THE TEAM NOW means don't go into next year with major holes AND major players you don't intend to keep long term.

If you decide to draft Oden, that becomes an easy decision. It is possible to complete the team with that move and a move for a STARTING caliber Pg player or prospect (Indy pick?) alone.

If you decide to draft Durant, that may become a harder decision but certainly becomes more complicated. Likely MW is the odd man out. & this is my decision point. I-F you can package MW/SW or something of that effect to get in return a decent starting center (or very good prospect), I could very easily go that route. However, without assuring that. I am returned to drafting Oden for reasons of simplicity if not talent.

Anyhow, that's my take for now, but they are close.

W

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hilarious.

Seconded! Oden will be a defensive force his entire career. I assume he will become a great passer ala Shaq drawing so many doubles.

It takes an offensive game to draw a double.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I want Oden for this team. Feel free to quote me 2 years, 5 years, etc. from now.

What?? you're not going to wait for the results of the Workouts? Aren't you jumping the gun here? I mean, you don't even know if Oden can shoot from the perimeter!!!

Quote:

I think both will be eventual superstars. I could select either one and I go back and forth on who to select. W

I go back and forward too. The lower the Indy pick (hopefully there is one), the easier to maneuver. My thought is to select Durant, trade MW,SW and the Indy pick for Wilcox and Seattles pick. Then select the best PG (Javaris). That would provide Upgrades on three positions with one definate Star(Durant) and two potential All-Stars (Wilcox and Javaris).

With that done the two previous drafts would then be dreams. bunny.gif

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

I want Oden for this team. Feel free to quote me 2 years, 5 years, etc. from now.

What?? you're not going to wait for the results of the Workouts? Aren't you jumping the gun here? I mean, you don't even know if Oden can shoot from the perimeter!!!

First, I am not going to participate in a workout. How would I be able to incorporate the results of workouts into any analysis.

Second, I think Oden stands out from all the other prospects based on his skill set and physical tools so that there are no players comparable to him in this draft for what he brings to this team.

Third, I would STILL WORK OUT ODEN, DURANT AND NUMEROUS OTHER PLAYERS FOR THE OBVIOUS BENEFITS WORKING THEM OUT WOULD BRING. Only a tool would turn down the opportunity to scout and wine and dine Durant, Hawes, Hibbert, Horford, Noah, etc.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

First, I am not going to participate in a workout. How would I be able to incorporate the results of workouts into any analysis.

Second, I think Oden stands out from all the other prospects based on his skill set and physical tools so that there are no players comparable to him in this draft for what he brings to this team.

Third, I would STILL WORK OUT ODEN, DURANT AND NUMEROUS OTHER PLAYERS FOR THE OBVIOUS BENEFITS WORKING THEM OUT WOULD BRING. Only a tool would turn down the opportunity to scout and wine and dine Durant, Hawes, Hibbert, Horford, Noah, etc.

LOL

• Premium Member

Quote:

Third, I would STILL WORK OUT ODEN, DURANT AND NUMEROUS OTHER PLAYERS FOR THE OBVIOUS BENEFITS WORKING THEM OUT WOULD BRING.

If you have already made up in your mind that Oden is your guy... because he's going to be a dominant franchise center... THERE IS NO OBVIOUS BENEFIT IN WORKING THESE OTHER GUYS OUT???

The only thing you do is just hand wave and BS.

What's the purpose for calling in Joakim Noah for a workout? Even if he far surpassed everything you've ever thought of him in your workout sessions.. does it change your mind about who you will pick??? You still have that players career and his potential that you consider probably much higher than one good workout.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Third, I would STILL WORK OUT ODEN, DURANT AND NUMEROUS OTHER PLAYERS FOR THE OBVIOUS BENEFITS WORKING THEM OUT WOULD BRING.

If you have already made up in your mind that Oden is your guy... because he's going to be a dominant franchise center... THERE IS NO OBVIOUS BENEFIT IN WORKING THESE OTHER GUYS OUT???

The only thing you do is just hand wave and BS.

What's the purpose for calling in Joakim Noah for a workout? Even if he far surpassed everything you've ever thought of him in your workout sessions.. does it change your mind about who you will pick???

First, you get a chance to better scout Noah. This gives you a better assessment of him for (a) purposes of the draft and (b) writing up a scouting report on him for next season.

Second, in your hypothetical Noah surpasses everything that was ever thought about him. He does things he was never asked to do at Florida because they have so much other talent in well defined roles (although I consider Horford more of a candidate for this than Noah). OK - that may not change your view of who you want with the first pick. However, it may change your mind on the differential in value between the first pick and the third pick. That would be highly relevant to consideration of trade scenarios.

Consider this hypothetical - the Denver Nuggets work out Carmelo and Wade prior to the 2003 draft. The Nuggets love Carmelo and plan to draft him. Wade surpasses their every expectation and blows them away. Miami offers a deal to trade up for Carmelo when Wade is on the clock at the draft. You are now more prepared and in better position to consider this offer than if you never bothered to work out Wade.

Third, knowing that Chauncy Billups will not be picked with the San Antonio #1 overall pick in 1997 does not mean they don't get to score some points with him by working him out and selling him on the team and the city. A few years out of the NBA draft, Billups was a FA who was ready to sign with a team for the MLE. Any edge you can get in the FA context is a benefit. If Billups is weighing competing 6.5M offers from Detroit and San Antonio, if he left with a good impression from the Spurs during his workout then he may be more likely to sign with them. Not the be all, end all of negoations - but an edge.

That is what the workouts give you - an edge in several areas.

Quote:

You still have that players career and his potential that you consider probably much higher than one good workout.

Is there any difference between this rationale and not bothering to watch tape of a prospect's games for a given week of the season? You aren't going to absolutely pick or nix someone based on 2 games. So what is the point in even watching them?

Obviously, the point is that you can make a more informed decision. How can that ever be a bad thing?

This is what I keep asking and you keep avoiding: what is the downside?

I'm taking Oden. Actually, I'd proabably take Oden even if we DID complete a pre draft trade for Gasol. Franchise Centers are just too hard to come by.

Oden

Smoove

Marvin

JJ

PG

or preferably

Oden

Gasol (acquired via trade w/combo of Chillz/Zaza/pick)

Smoove/Marvin

JJ

PG

• Premium Member

First the hypotheticals:

Quote:

Consider this hypothetical - the Denver Nuggets work out Carmelo and Wade prior to the 2003 draft.
The Nuggets love Carmelo and plan to draft him.
Wade surpasses their every expectation and blows them away. Miami offers a deal to trade up for Carmelo when Wade is on the clock at the draft. You are now more prepared and in better position to consider this offer than if you never bothered to work out Wade.

The key statement... The nuggets loved Carmello. The problem that we are having is a problem of disrespecting the scouting efforts. Even before they had ever worked out Carmello.. they went to see him play. Probably several times. They heard from ABCD camps about Carmello.. Probably all of his coaches. The workout is just a procedural thing for what has already taken place. The best thing that comes out of a workout is that the organization gets a chance to show the draftee how classy they can be.

Now, if two guys are dead even on your draft chart and both would fill a need.. then maybe workouts is the way to go...

However, workouts only became popular in the last decade and the reason why is that GMs needed some way to guage the value of a HSer. There were a lot less drafting errors before the workouts became popular than there are now.

To answer your question, There is no downside to having a workout.. BUT Let's not fool ourselves into believing that there's some great benefits to pre-draft workouts either.

BTW...

You get an opportunity to draft Pau Gasol or Yao Ming. Niether could make a workout.. Do you pass on them because Jason Williams or Shane Battier comes into your workout and does an awesome Job?

Guest Walter

Quote:

Oden

Gasol (acquired via trade w/combo of Chillz/Zaza/pick)

Smoove/Marvin

JJ

PG

...for a lineup with Oden and Gasol in the paint.

JC/MW/Speedy for Gasol .

I'd throw in SW too.

Oden/ZaZa

Gasol/SJ

JS/

JJ/?/AJ

Indy pick Pg/Lue/AJ

Only if Memphis falls out of the top 2 would they consider such a trade IMO.

W