• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Smoove Leads the League in Blocks!

Johnnybravo4

Yeah he's becoming a monster. It'll be interesting to see if he can come out and get it done for the whole season next year instead of turning it on in the second half when it matters less. If he can maintain the level he's at with JJ back from the opening game we should be in good shape.

Quote:

Yeah he's becoming a monster. It'll be interesting to see if he can come out and get it done for the whole season next year instead of turning it on in the second half when it matters less. If he can maintain the level he's at with JJ back from the opening game we should be in good shape.

I am hoping another year of experience and maturing under his belt will lead to a more consistent effort from Smoove next year. It seems each year he has had a big surge in the second half but he is slow to start the following season. This year it may just be due to injury, so I am hoping for the best.

I still think a good point guard would make him an even more effective player.

Quote:

It'll be interesting to see if he can come out and get it done for the whole season next year instead of turning it on in the second half when it matters less.

His only bad month was November when he came out jacking up 3s left and right, shooting 36% for the month.

In December he averaged 13.4/8.4 shooting 50%. Then when he got moved to the 4 after Marvin came back he really took off.

Well I'm not saying he was particularly bad, but like you said he only took off after the injury. If he can bring that intensity from day 1 and figure out how to mesh it well with JJ's game, we'll be doing fine. Of course it wouldn't hurt if Marvin stepped up his effort and Shelden ... well ... did something.

Smith now has now established a pattern of not giving it his all until the second half of the season. I'd like to see if he can put a consistent season from start to finish next year.

Quote:

but like you said he only took off after the injury

Don't forget the obvious fact that he was hurt and we don't know how much it was affecting him.

His intensity wasn't his problem so much as just knowing how to play. And the fact is that early in the year he spent much more time at the 3. It is pretty clear now that he is more effective at the 4.

• Premium Member

Quote:

And the fact is that early in the year he spent much more time at the 3. It is pretty clear now that he is more effective at the 4.

No matter how many times you say this, half this board still won't get it. He could average 40 and 20 at PF and people would still insist he's an SF.

I think it's more the exciting factor, they want to see him at SF so he's running around more instead of being in the paint as a PF or somethin. Either way, to deny how well he plays at the 4 compared to the 3 is psychotic, to say the least.

I don't know if playing the 3 or the 4 really made much of a difference.I think it had more do to with Josh driving ,and slashing to the rim than anything else. He wasn't doing that before the injury.

Quote:

Quote:

And the fact is that early in the year he spent much more time at the 3. It is pretty clear now that he is more effective at the 4.

No matter how many times you say this, half this board still won't get it. He could average 40 and 20 at PF and people would still insist he's an SF.

I think it's more the exciting factor, they want to see him at SF so he's running around more instead of being in the paint as a PF or somethin. Either way, to deny how well he plays at the 4 compared to the 3 is psychotic, to say the least.

Lascar isn't one of those people though.

Quote:

I don't know if playing the 3 or the 4 really made much of a difference.I think it had more do to with Josh driving ,and slashing to the rim than anything else. He wasn't doing that before the injury.

It is a lot easier for him to beat 4s off the dribble because they aren't as quick as 3s. That is the whole point.

but when Shelden is in the game ,and Josh slides over to sf. he is still taking the ball to the basket.He beat both Pj Brown and Deng off the dribble yesterday.

Now, im not saying Smoove should be a pf or a sf.

I just look at him as a foward that should cause match nightmares of other teams, by using speed vs PFs and size and strenth to post up SFs.

That's because with JJ out, Smoove is our best scorer, and woody is play him 40mpg.Also Solomon Jones has been taking alot of Sheldens minutes lately.

Really i think 5mpg is too much for Shelden right now.

I want Jones to take all of Shelden's and Lo Wright's mins these last few games.

Quote:

Quote:

It is a lot easier for him to beat 4s off the dribble because they aren't as quick as 3s. That is the whole point.

What does that matter when a team is playing zone?

Is it the injury or the claim that Smoove is too slow to guard every SF in the league and faster than every PF in the league?

Also, he is playing bigs on D. Our interior defense is, and has been terrible. Smoove can play 4 if we get a monster in at 5. Otherwise, playing Smoove at 4 gives us a chance about 30 times a year. I want to have a chance every game. On offense we have 4 guys, incuding Smoove, standing on the wing while the 5 is half-heartedly standing on the block. That is not winning basketball.

When we get that new coach, since coaches are let go everday right, then I might be on board. But if Woody is going to let Smoove stand on the wing the whole game, he is not a POWER forward.

Someone on this team needs to develop a post game. When Al Harrington is better on the block than anyone we have, you know you have a serious problem. Generally speaking, you need a pf or c to have a post game in order to win.

I love the blocks but I'd rather see bad shots taken most of the time, instead of layup, block, layup, open j, layup, block, block, open layup.

Smoove may look better numbers wise playing the 4, but the Hawks look the same. If his statistical impact is not changing the W/L column positively, why does it really matter what position he plays more effectively at in your mind?

I know you say this season is about more than wins and losses. I personally feel seasons are only about wins and losses. You don't learn to win by losing. So what happens if they retain Woody and BK? Do we just enjoy Josh carrying the team on his back until it breaks?

But, to prove your point, BK must have thought Smoove was a 3 to bring in Shelden as a 4, right? That would give your argument more credence as I have played ball with you once and feel your judgement is easily better than Bk's.

• Premium Member

Quote:

One thing with Shelden is he has got to be given a chance though, I know he has'nt shown much, But damn he could'nt be so good in college and suck so badly now...

That's why he was a bad pick, he had no place on this roster. Either he was going to bench Marvin/Smoove or be a bench player himself. The latter has come true.

I don't think Shelden is that bad, but he has no spot on this team.

• Premium Member

Quote:

That's because with JJ out, Smoove is our best scorer, and woody is play him 40mpg.

Shelden's minutes disappeared before JJ went out. Smith has played a lot of minutes all season.

Quote:

Also Solomon Jones has been taking alot of Sheldens minutes lately.

You defend Shelden, yet you want a 2nd rounder playing over him?

Shelden hasn't received significant PT all year, I'd like to see what he can do these last few games.