• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Smoove Leads the League in Blocks!

Johnnybravo4

Quote:

claim that Smoove is too slow to guard every SF in the league and faster than every PF in the league?

Huh? It is a simple fact that 3s are generally slower than 4s. Smiths athleticism and shotblocking ability make it easier for him to make up for his size disadvantage against 4s. But his speed disadvantage against 3s is hard to overcome.

Quote:

But if Woody is going to let Smoove stand on the wing the whole game, he is not a POWER forward.

Then neither is Dirk or Marion. Neither post up inside at all but both are very effective at the 4.

And Smoove has been looking to post up more and more as the season has gone on. he still has a ways to go obviously but he is moving in the right direction.

Quote:

Smoove may look better numbers wise playing the 4, but the Hawks look the same. If his statistical impact is not changing the W/L column positively, why does it really matter what position he plays more effectively at in your mind?

You must be watching a different team. When Smith came back from surgery starting at the 4 the difference was immediate and the Hawks started playing .500 ball for weeks.

Quote:

I know you say this season is about more than wins and losses. I personally feel seasons are only about wins and losses. You don't learn to win by losing.

First of all the Hawks have had a ton of injuries. Secondly the Hawks offseason acquisitions have been garbage. Therefore i can cut them some slack in the w/l column if i see progress among key players.

Quote:

Smoove can play 4 if we get a monster in at 5.

Actually we just need someone who isn't a complete liability on d. When Smith and Solomon are playing together there are no easy baskets inside. i just don't see Solomon as a full time C.

Quote:

So what happens if they retain Woody and BK?

russian.gif

Quote:

But, to prove your point, BK must have thought Smoove was a 3 to bring in Shelden as a 4, right?

BK is on record as saying Smith is a 3/4 and Shelden is a 4. When Shelden was picked i felt the same way you did, that the pick indicated that BK didn't feel Smith could play full time at the 4 successfully. After this year though i think Smith has proven he can, even though he is far from a finished product.

Quote:

feel your judgement is easily better than Bk's.

Frankly I think that applies to almost everyone here, but thanks.

What I would like to see, although it is probably too late in the year, is for Woody to give "auditions" to Shelden, Batista, and Solomon. The way it work is Woody would tell one of the above players "You are the starter (36 min. a game, and finishing out the 4th quarter) for the next 3 games, show me that you are worthy to be a starter." The way it stands right now, we really don't know what we have in these 3 players, because their playing time has been so inconsistent. I can understand Solomon not seeing that much playing time earlier this season, but not Shelden and Batista.

Quote:

Quote:

One thing with Shelden is he has got to be given a chance though, I know he has'nt shown much, But damn he could'nt be so good in college and suck so badly now...

That's why he was a bad pick, he had no place on this roster. Either he was going to bench Marvin/Smoove or be a bench player himself. The latter has come true.

I don't think Shelden is that bad, but he has no spot on this team.

This is the crux of my point. I think we have wasted what little Shelden could have given us. With a zone defense and some, eh, coaching, I think we could have won more games this year playing Shelden at 4 and Smoove at 3. In a wasted season, Shellhead might has well have been out with an injury all year. It's not like Smoove and Joe were pushing us to the playoffs. What would the damage have been?

You're right about the 3 vs the 4, and more importantly that he started focusing on driving and occasionally posting rather than jacking long jumpers. I don't question his drive or anything, it's just getting funny that 3 years in a row he delivers more in the 2nd half. However, given the level he's gotten to recently, you usually don't see guys like that fading away the next year. He's getting the spotlight and loving it, and he'll be hungry for more next year.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I think we have wasted what little Shelden could have given us. With a zone defense and some, eh, coaching, I think we could have won more games this year playing Shelden at 4 and Smoove at 3. In a wasted season, Shellhead might has well have been out with an injury all year. It's not like Smoove and Joe were pushing us to the playoffs. What would the damage have been?

Coaching had nothing to do with this, BK's drafting did. Marvin was the #2 overall pick, he was GOING to play REGARDLESS of what happened. IMO BK drafted Shelden to bench Smoove, or he drafted Shelden to be a bench player himself. Either one is horrible. BK has no clue how to draft or build a team.

Shelden has no place as a future for this team. We need an upgrade at Center whether Smith or Shelden is our PF.

• Premium Member

Quote:

But, to prove your point, BK must have thought Smoove was a 3 to bring in Shelden as a 4, right?

This is WAY off. BK HAD JUST DRAFTED MARVIN #2 OVERALL!! You really think Shelden was drafted to bench Marvin?? Shelden was drafted to either bench Smith, or to be a bench player himself.

And how are you going to go by "what BK thought" as the basis of your argument. We all know BK doesn't think.