• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Woody has directly injured TWO of our best players

Guest Walter

Guest Walter

Quote:

Quote:

BTW, Please tell me exactly what of mine are "hindsight opinions". Should be easy enough, right.

Be a man. All you do around here is wait for someone to do something then you pop up full of theories on how it should and could have been done differently. It's been that way for years.

Then "be a man" and highlight them instead of allude to them.

Quote:

Quote:

Lately, all you've been doing is insulting posters.

No. I don't insult posters and I don't go out of my way to insult you.

You, clearly insulted Diesel and then insulted the people who "defended" him last week. Chillz, you don't "do" much here and aren't right when you do "do". When you do "do" it often contains an insult to me. If you're not careful you might make me think I'm somehow important to you.

Quote:

It just works out that your anonymous internet persona is one that I find to be, for lack of a better phrase, a candy ass. It's entirely possible that you do act like a man in your "real" life, but I wouldn't know it by the way you act and talk around here. The picture you paint of yourself here is one of the consummate second guesser and "let me tell you" guy and I have a hard time tolerating that personality type.

Chillz, you wouldn't know it if it kicked you in the calf or caused a stress fracture in your foot. You simply wouldn't know it. THAT'S on you, not me.

Again, I didn't want Childress over Iggy or Deng BEFORE THE DRAFT. I didn't want MW over Deron or Paul BEFORE THE DRAFT. I didn't want SW over (just about anybody but especially) Roy or Foye BEFORE THE DRAFT. I questioned whether JJ was a Pg BEFORE we traded for him. The fact that you didn't doesn't make any of this hindsight on my part. You're just a candy ass for taking your sorry track record out on anyone but yourself. Be a GD man and face up to yourself.

Quote:

So maybe you are a man in the real world. It doesn't change the fact that despite all these life accomplishments, you still act like a jackass around here time and time again. Truth be told, this is what happens when people wrap themselves in the anonymity of the internet. I go months without posting around here yet when I come back all I see are post after post of Walter going out of his way to get under someones skin.

...and you then do the same towards Diesel and then me. Nice. I applaud you. Considering your "months away" your batting average for attempts at getting under someone's skin is considerably higher.

Quote:

You didn't and you couldn't, but you're the one that pretends that your opinions are RIGHT, and mine, somehow, are wrong. Who's the arrogant ass?

No pretense here. I'm still scratching my head as to what you've been right about. Seriously, you want to act like your thoughtful (eye roll) approach is better, but I can't recall an instance where its results were (more) accurate. Enlighten me with examples.

W

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Walter

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Because their critical thinking closes the door after "do you think you can play, Josh?" The're opinion on this matter is irrelevalt in my opinion.

The point is that few athletes, at least most that aren't considered fragile, are going to hesitate to play the game the way they've done so their entire lives if they've been cleared to play and they feel like they can play. It's not as if anyone is taking their opinions ahead of the doctors. Do you really think that Childress wouldn't speak up if he felt he was being pushed harder than he should be? He, and the doctors, obviously felt he was capable of doing what he was being asked to do.

I agree that athletes don't have the big picture judgment to make this call. That is why they are not responsible for the minutes they play - that falls on the coaching staff.

In fact, Childress admitted in the paper that he felt pain in his foot over a week ago and simply decided to play through the pain.

I just don't understand why Woodson would play our young guys this many minutes. Get them plenty of minutes 30+ but don't run them into the ground.

Where was the coach, management, ownership on this one! You've got to be on top of this stuff even when you aren't DOUBLING the stress on a player while playing meaningless games. Stress fractures should almost NEVER happen TWICE! There is always a warning and there are always necessary precautions that include the obvious like NOT DOUBLING THE STRESS, especially when you absolutely don't have to.

W

• Admin

Quote:

In fact, Childress admitted in the paper that he felt pain in his foot over a week ago and simply decided to play through the pain.

It was his responsibility to tell someone of this. He was cleared to play and worked himself back to playing big minutes. If he felt pain, it was his job to tell someone so it could be dealt with before becoming more serious. Knowing this, how can ALL the blame be dumped on Woodson? It's a revolving door of blame that many seem to be dumping squarely on the coach and I don't feel it's warranted. He did what most coaches in the league would do. When a player is cleared to play and has worked himself back to playing big minutes, he's supposed to tell someone if he's feeling any discomfort so the coach can make decisions based on that. If Woodson knew and still played him, then yes, it's all his fault, but he only has limited factors to base his decision on and part of the onus falls on the player to inform the staff of what's going on.

Quote:

I just don't understand why Woodson would play our young guys this many minutes. Get them plenty of minutes 30+ but don't run them into the ground.

We're not a good team and our core players need as much time on the floor together as possible. Even meaningless games have the potential to be big games in the overall development of a team, so you naturally want your key players to be involved in those games. They're young and they're more than capable of playing big minutes.

• Moderators

Chill said he did not tell the coaches, trainers, etc. about the pain. No way to blame ownership, etc. on the fact that he was playing through pain. Like you, I do have a problem with the sheer number of minutes.

Guest Walter

Quote:

again, you're putting your OPINION up against the reality of sports. Few athletes are going to play the game any differently after an injury when they've been cleared to play and they feel healthy. It happens all the time in sports and many times the players never suffer for it. It's easy to second guess a decision that few coaches would have made any differently. Especially on a team that needs teamwork as much as it needs talent.

...to the number of minutes he was playing prior to the stress fracture. I have a problem with nearly doubling them and thus nearly doubling the STRESS on his foot, particularly during meaningless games.

Most any coach would have played Childress. Some more enlightened coaches less minutes, others the same many minutes. Not many would have played him 43+ MPG ever, much less after a recent STRESS fracture.

BTW, this too is NOT hindsight as the very day before the injury was annøunced I highlighted how many MPG he and JS (42.6) were playing recently as ridiculously high. You just don't do this sort of thing and not expect consequences.

W

• Moderators

Quote:

they're more than capable of playing big minutes.

Do you think it is coincidence that the players who are getting the excessive minutes are the ones going down with significant injuries compared to someone like Marvin who is getting consistent but not excessive minutes?

I don't buy that playing 45 minutes in a game does more for development of the player than playing 37 minutes in a game. I do buy that consistently playing guys excessive minutes in meaningless games runs up the possibility of injuries and fatigue issues.

If you will note, however, I don't blame the coaches for everything here. If players aren't giving coaches the information they need to make informed decisions then that falls on the player and/or trainers.

I don't think you need special information or training to know that playing guys excessive minutes tends to lead to injuries, though, and so I do blame the coaching staff for giving our guys too many minutes. I would cast this blame on them whether this resulted in injuries or not. Of course, when guys do get significant injuries it only highlights the issue.

Quote:

Would you be so understanding in that situation if he had rolled his ankle again and was forced to miss real games? Would the blame then shift to Bobby for not being extra cautious?

Yes, I would understand. No, the blame would shift to Chipper's ankle in this scenario. Running full court for 40 minutes and standing at 3rd produce a completely different result. One makes you sweat through a shirt, the other doesn't. Which one gives you a better chance to break a stress fracture?

Quote:

the point is that players want to play and if they're cleared to play, most will play the game the way they always have and they don't worry about what might happen.

The point is that coaches should.

• Admin

Quote:

You're just a candy ass for taking your sorry track record out on anyone but yourself. Be a GD man and face up to yourself.

haha, what have I taken out on anyone? I give my opinion. You're the pompous ass that seems to honestly think that your opinions are fact and not just your opinion.

Quote:

No pretense here. I'm still scratching my head as to what you've been right about. Seriously, you want to act like your thoughtful (eye roll) approach is better, but I can't recall an instance where its results were (more) accurate. Enlighten me with examples.

Again, can't you answer the question? How are your opinions right, yet mine are wrong? What are you RIGHT about? Just because you feel your opinion is right, doesn't make it so.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I just don't understand why Woodson would play our young guys this many minutes.

I'm not a Woody fan, but maybe the answer lies in the fact that he's trying:

1. To develop these young players.

2. To develop chemistry.

3. To save his job.

If any of you were truly in his shoes, you'd probably do the same.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Again, can't you answer the question? How are your opinions right, yet mine are wrong? What are you RIGHT about? Just because you feel your opinion is right, doesn't make it so.

I think the obvious example is right now. Your opinion that the coaches aren't responsible for the injury results of extreme, in some cases significantly increased MPG, particularly to recently injured players (the kick to JJ's calf in practice was known and Chillz's foot fracture history is well documented and even VERY recent) is well, wrong.

As far as other opinions, I've been against all of BK's lottery picks, choosing rather Deng, Deron, and Roy. You've supported all of BK's lottery draft decisions. Who was right? Since you have such a problem with me, answer it yourself. You shouldn't need me to tell you how wrong you've been.

Chillz, I'm done with you for now. Keep barking little dog.

W

Guest Walter

Quote:

Quote:

I just don't understand why Woodson would play our young guys this many minutes.

2. To develop chemistry.

3. To save his job.

You can do 1 and 2 without playing Childress or JJ more MPG over any stretch than the league's highest MPG player (might very well be JJ).

#3 is the problem.

W

• Premium Member

Well, JJ was one of the most played players when we got him. He was already up there with Finley and all the rest of the guys who would log in 42 mpg when we traded for him. And that was strange considering that Phoenix had QRich.

I think it's another one of those Woody flaws. He probably believes that the best chance for these guys to develop and for these guys to win games is for them to play.

Unlike yourself candy ass, Woody is not trying to tank.... until he puts Lue in the game.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

2. To develop chemistry.

3. To save his job.

I don't think that playing someone 45 minutes in a game as compared to 37 minutes does anything to develop young players or develop chemistry. Playing 35+ minutes in a game does as much for both of those goals as tacking on another 10 minutes of play.

I agree that reason 3 is valid though. He is doing it in a desparate attempt to win more games and justify his continued employment.

I think if winning was his goal, though, he should have given guys like Shelden, Batista, Solomon, etc. minutes over Wright a long time ago. They have been more productive than him all season.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Well, JJ was one of the most played players when we got him. He was already up there with Finley and all the rest of the guys who would log in 42 mpg when we traded for him. And that was strange considering that Phoenix had QRich.

I don't condone the # of minutes JJ played for Pheonix, but they simply weren't as high as here. He's 2nd in the league in MPG at 41.4. In the last 10 games, 9 have been > 40 mintes. The last 18 games, 16 have been > 40 minutes....Chill is better than QRich IMO.

http://www.dougstats.com/06-07Players.html

Quote:

I think it's another one of those Woody flaws. He probably believes that the best chance for these guys to develop and for these guys to win games is for them to play.

...And you see where that got this franchise. 2 of its 3 best players injured. One now chronic and career impacting. It's not reasonable to assert that playing a recently STRESS injured, 25 MPG player, 53 minutes in a game with a recent 43 MPG average resulting in a serious STRESS injury serves to "develop" him. You can "develop" players without risking their life (compartmental syndrome) and limbs (overuse STRESS fractures).

Gotta hurt having a "candy ass" consistently whup ya.

W