• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

the solution for Batista's languaje barrier

gheorghe

From Mike Monroe

Express-News

"What has made Barbosa so effective this season after three relatively uneven seasons?

"Language and confidence," D'Antoni said. "We didn't give him the talent. He had that. But being able to play with Steve (Nash) and just him growing as a person off the floor and learning the language and feeling comfortable in the United States made him better."

Barbosa spoke no English when he arrived for his rookie season. He finally ditched his interpreter, learning virtually all of his English from his teammates.

"I just was speaking and listening a lot when the guys were talking," Barbosa said. "If I didn't understand a word, I would ask and they would explain."

Barbosa's confidence on the court soared after he began working last season with assistant coach Dan D'Antoni, the head coach's older brother.

the solution: HIRE DAN D'ANTONI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is no excuse for Batista not learning English at this point. He is being paid lots of money and has access to private tutors so I have no sympathy for him. If you have to learn a language to advance in your career you do it or you don't advance, it is as simple as that.

• Moderators

I think this goes back to Woody's comments last year about Batista's supposed language barrier. Who knows if that's still a problem. I can't imagine that he hasn't learned enough to understand what to do. He's not the point guard. Rebound and Hack probably gets him 30% of what he needs to know.