• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Who should we take with the 3rd and 12th picks?

bumpyphish1

All these threads asking what we should do with the #1 and #2 picks are friggin stupid.

#1 - Greg Oden

#2 - Kevin Durant

#3 - ????

Of course this assumes both Oden and Durant come out, but we will do that. And, it really wouldn't surprise me to see Billy Knight draft Durant #1 overall, and if he does, I will cease to support him, which I currently do [i am not gonna go into this but I will admit Shelden pick appears poor]. So, who is your current #3? Hibbert? Corey Brewer? Noah? Horford? Brandan Wright? Who ya got?

And, for fun's sake, who would your top two choices be for the #12 draft pick be assuming we get Indy's pick and draft BEFORE Detroit (via Orlando).

Honestly, I think my top choice might be yet another Swingman - Corey Brewer. I think Horford will be a real talent. Wright has a lot of upside. It's tough, that's why I want to hear you all's brilliant analysis. I really do think this will end up being one of the best drafts in YEARS, especially if a lot of the under-classmen come out.

It would be HUGE to end up with two picks inside the Top 14. HUGE! It could happen. God, please smile down on the Hawks.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough call at number 3. Hibbert would be a reach but i wouldn't be upset if he was the pick.

12 is tough to call too since we don't know who will come out. I am hoping a couple of the young pgs come out so we can be sure to get one at 12. No way will Brewer be available there. Ditto Horford.

Quote:

Tough call at number 3. Hibbert would be a reach but i wouldn't be upset if he was the pick.

12 is tough to call too since we don't know who will come out. I am hoping a couple of the young pgs come out so we can be sure to get one at 12. No way will Brewer be available there. Ditto Horford.

You bastards better leave Hibbert alone. He's the Bulls pick, don't you think of scooping him up.

You guys want Hawes and whatever PG is available.

• Premium Member

I don't see Horford or Wright playing center in the NBA, which is the only position the Hawks should be considering at that point in the draft.

My gut feeling is that Knight would take Noah at #3, but trading down to get Hibbert would be a better fit IMO.

Quote:

You bastards better leave Hibbert alone.

LOL not long ago you were saying that you couldn't understand why we were interested in Hibbert at all. And that was when we were talking about taking him with the Indy pick which at that time was sitting near 20.

Guest Walter

If I were forced to get a player with the 3rd pick it would either be Brandan Wright or Horford at this point. Their prospects and/or talent level are/is simply too much better to overlook for position. Doesn't mean I wouldn't make trades...I would.

Otherwise I would trade the 3rd pick in one of 3 ways:

1) Trade up for Durant or Oden. It would take an awful lot, but consider trading Childress (or SW), MW, and the 3rd overall pick for the 2nd overall pick and Durant. I'd definately do this, especially if we retain the Indy pick.

2) Trade down from the 3rd pick for a player we want that better fills a need and acquires us more capital (i.e. Thabeet, Hibbert, Hawes maybe, Brewer if we have a good trade worked out of one of our Sfs, maybe even a Pg prospect if we don't have the Indy pick)

Example? Philly has the 6th, 18th, and 30th picks. Should we have the 3rd overall pick I'd at least entertain trading down with them for the 6th and 18th picks, especially if we do not keep the Indy pick this year.

3) trade the 3rd pick for an established star big man. 3rd pick/MW/Speedy/Lo packaged for Gasol?

W

• Premium Member

The problem is that none of the vaunted big men other than Oden fit well with what I see as the Hawks' two biggest needs in a big man:

1. interior toughness

2. enough quickness to play in a up-tempo system

Drafting Hibbert would be a smart move if and only if the Hawks maintain their plodding pace. The problem with maintaining the plodding pace is that the Hawks two best players perform best in an up-tempo system.

That's why, for me, it's Oden -or- bust. Durant would be nice, but you have to practically destroy any chemistry to give him minutes.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Will #3/#12/filler get me Gasol or Jermaine O'Neal?

If I can't trade out, RIGHT NOW, I'm taking Brandan Wright or Al Horford at #3 and whoever is left between Conley, Hibbert and Law at #12.

That's essentially my position both that I would trade the 3rd pick and if could not trade it, who I would take.

What would you trade with #3 in order to move up to #2? It would have to be alot to sway the other team.

W

To me this is EASY...

#3: Al Horford

#11: Tywon Lawson

My ideal draft would be Oden and Connelly, but since we'll have no chance at Oden with the 3rd pick, and Connelly will probably be off the board by the time we're up with the Pacers' pick, I think the next best choice would be to go for the full on running team and get Horford and Lawson.

Tywon Lawson

Joe Johnson

Marvin Williams

Josh Smith

Al Horford

That would be, without a doubt, one of the top 2 or 3 quickest teams in the entire NBA. With a team like that we could run and run and, if nothing else, we would be VERY fun to watch. But I actually think we would playoff contenders in the Eastern Conference.

First of all, I believe Lawson will immmediately be one of the quickest PG's in the NBA and one of the fastest in transition. Not only that, but he has a great feel for the game, he's an incredible passer, and he pushes the ball relentlessly. He would be just the type of catalyst we need to get out and run in transition.

Also, Marvin Smoove and Horford would be a nightmare matchup for most teams in a running game. If you've ever seen Horford handle the ball in the open court, it's unbelievable how fast he is with the ball in his hands for his size...basically, he's an unbelievable transition athlete. And he's very strong, he goes hard all the time, he rebounds and blocks shots at a very nice rate, and he's developing a nice back to the basket game and is a good passer.

So with Horford I think we'd have one of the top 2 or 3 quickest and most athletic frontcourts in the league.

Defensively we'd be a little undersized, but we'd be extremely athletic and versatile and I actually think Horford would be a better defender and rebounder at Center than Zaza. (Plus, for two extremely athletic 6'9 guys, Smoove and Horford are unsually strong.)

And offensively we would be a tough matchup, expecially in transition. I bet teams would have a hard time keeping their lumbering big men on the floor against us.

Actually if you are in a running system like the Suns Noah is by far the best big prospect.

Horford would be terrible in that system and so would Hibbert.

Wright can run the floor but he's about the same size as Diaw and I don't even think he is as fast as Noah running the floor.

As far as our picks, if we are lucky enough to get both picks.

Hibbert and Acie Law all the way.

Hibbert could be our Deke and Acie Law could be our Jason Terry.

Quote:

Actually if you are in a running system like the Suns Noah is by far the best big prospect.

We already have Smith and Solomon. Noah is no more a center than Solomon is. Picking Noah at 3 would be horrible. He has no jumper at all and is weak. Bad combination.

Quote:

Quote:

We already have Smith and Solomon. Noah is no more a center than Solomon is. Picking Noah at 3 would be horrible. He has no jumper at all and is weak. Bad combination.

I wasn't referring to us.

I thought I saw the statement that said that it made no sense for any team to take NOah over Horford, Hibbert, etc.

That's CLEARLY not true if you look at the Suns style of basketball.

As far as Noah no more a C than Solomon, it depends on whether he turns out 7 feet or not. But I agree we would take Hibbert over Noah easily. Or at least we should. We need that interior presence on D.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I wasn't referring to us.

I thought I saw the statement that said that it made no sense for any team to take NOah over Horford, Hibbert, etc.

That's CLEARLY not true if you look at the Suns style of basketball.

This is my quote.

Quote:

Drafting Noah would be pointless regardless of what pace
we
are trying to play.

Quote:

I'd consider him an upgrade over Zaza.

I wouldn't consider him much of an upgrade, and i don't like Zaza. Noah is getting hyped because he is on a good team. If he wasn't an average team he wouldn't be considered a top 10 pick and he might not even be picked top 10.