• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Who should we take with the 3rd and 12th picks?

bumpyphish1

I'm not sure who we take if we got the #3 pick. Noah is not someone I want on this team and Horford is another Brian Cook clone from the lakers. They have the exact same game if anyone has seen Cook play at Illinois and now with LA. I don't think we need another PF period! I think we should trade down if we get the #3 pick and take Hibbert and then take the best available PG with the Indy pick. Personally I like Acie Law IV. That's my take on this scenario if it happens.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Quote:

I'd consider him an upgrade over Zaza.

I wouldn't consider him much of an upgrade, and i don't like Zaza. Noah is getting hyped because he is on a good team. If he wasn't an average team he wouldn't be considered a top 10 pick and he might not even be picked top 10.

He's getting hyped because he set a record for blocked shots in a NCAA tourney and in a championship game...in the first half.

Noah had an off year but I don't understand why so many people are vehemently opposed to adding him.

Every team could use a Joakim Noah. A high energy guy like that pumps up the whole team.

I think it's just because so many non-UF fans just hate the guy in general.

There is no way you can say he wouldn't be an upgrade over Zaza Pachulia.

He's already a better defender than Zaza could ever dream of being.

He might be a better defender but Zaza can at least score and knock down a jumper. Noah can't shoot a jumper, is a horrible FT shooter, and has no low post moves. Zaza has improved a lot the second half of the year with his low post moves and driving to the basket. He hasn't been flopping at all as of late and he can also get to the line unlike Noah. Noah will be nothing more than an average bench player in the NBA who can give his team a spark defensively.

Quote:

He might be a better defender but Zaza can at least score and knock down a jumper. Noah can't shoot a jumper, is a horrible FT shooter, and has no low post moves. Zaza has improved a lot the second half of the year with his low post moves and driving to the basket. He hasn't been flopping at all as of late and he can also get to the line unlike Noah. Noah will be nothing more than an average bench player in the NBA who can give his team a spark defensively.

I believe Noah is a 70% FT shooter. That's hardly horrible for a big man.

Noah will at least be as good as Anderson Varajeao in this league.

If you think he will stink that badly you're crazy because his upside is ridiculous.

As far as being better than Zaza defensively as an only plus, guess what? That's a HUGE plus. Zaza gives up a whole lot more points than he scores.

Just like the case with David Lee at UF. That's why UF was better without David Lee than with him. Because Noah actually played D which is a helluva lot more important for a post player. Rebounding and interior defense are two things that Noah brings to the table.

And on a break he will always beat his man down the court.

Like I said, I still think we would take Hibbert over him but to suggest he wouldn't even be an upgrade is absurd.

He's head and shoulders above Zaza Pachulia already defensively and has more upside on the other end of the floor as well.

Yeah I guess that's why Noah gets owned in the paint by anyone his size or bigger much like Oden did in the championship game. He scored everytime on Noah and Noah couldn't do anything defensively against him. Noah did nothing offensively either in that game BTW. And guess what Noah will be going against REAL bigs in the NBA not 6'6 PF's like in college. Plus most of Noah points come off of putbacks and wide open dunks. And Noah is a 65% FT shooter not 70% but even the announcers were hating on how horrible he holds and shoots the ball because it is so unorthodox and incorrect during the championship game. He will never be able to hit jumpers with that shooting motion. Solomon Jones is better than Noah because he can actually block shots better, hit a midrange jumper and shoot FT's. Noah would be useless to our Hawks right now and redundant. We need a big defensive Center that can actually score in the post and defend. Hibbert would fit that need much more than Noah.

• Moderators

If I had to pick Noah or Zaza to play center on the Hawks based purely on their NBA games, I would take Zaza for sure. I really question whether Noah has the strength or offensive skills to play center in the NBA. I do think he will be more like Vareajo - a PF that does the dirty work and plays pretty good D. We don't need another role-playing PF on this team.

• Premium Member

Noah is horrible. He has no offensive game, he's weak, and will not be a good defender in the NBA.

He can't even score in college, much less the NBA. He is the offensive equivalent of Solomon Jones. It's the same on defense, he may get a few blocks but he's FAR from being a good defender.

Quote:

Yeah I guess that's why Noah gets owned in the paint by anyone his size or bigger much like Oden did in the championship game. He scored everytime on Noah and Noah couldn't do anything defensively against him. Noah did nothing offensively either in that game BTW. And guess what Noah will be going against REAL bigs in the NBA not 6'6 PF's like in college. Plus most of Noah points come off of putbacks and wide open dunks. And Noah is a 65% FT shooter not 70% but even the announcers were hating on how horrible he holds and shoots the ball because it is so unorthodox and incorrect during the championship game. He will never be able to hit jumpers with that shooting motion. Solomon Jones is better than Noah because he can actually block shots better, hit a midrange jumper and shoot FT's. Noah would be useless to our Hawks right now and redundant. We need a big defensive Center that can actually score in the post and defend. Hibbert would fit that need much more than Noah.

Lol when does Noah get owned?

If he was so sorry on defense how could he set a record for blocks in a tournament and in a championship game in the first half?

He doesn't suck on defense and he has never been "owned" like you claim.

As far as Greg Oden is concerned, did you even watch the game? Noah barely played because of foul trouble. And he and Oden didn't go up against each other because that was Horford's assignment.

Does Noah need to add weight and develop a jump shot to be effective offensively in the pros at the C position?

Absolutely.

But to say he gets owned while he's playing defense is just plain ignorant.

Quote:

Noah is horrible. He has no offensive game, he's weak, and will not be a good defender in the NBA.

He can't even score in college, much less the NBA. He is the offensive equivalent of Solomon Jones. It's the same on defense, he may get a few blocks but he's FAR from being a good defender.

Noah is horrible?

How did he get player of the year if he was so horrible?

How did UF ever win a championship in 2006 if Noah sucked so much in the regular season and the tournament?

Oh wait he was our regular and post-season MVP that year.

Once again so much emphasis put on offense.

Who cares if Noah doesn't score 20 points per game if he can stop the other team from scoring which is something Zaza can't do.

If you think Zaza is a better defender than Noah you are a complete moron.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Noah is horrible?

How did he get
player of the year
if he was so horrible?

What are you talking about? Noah isn't even 3rd team all-america.

Quote:

How did UF ever win a championship in 2006 if Noah sucked so much in the regular season and the tournament?

Um.. he was playing against COLLEGE players. Bryant Reeves was great in the NCAA tourney, so was Mateen Cleeves, whatever happened to them? You saw how Oden completely punked Noah in the championship game. Oden isn't that much stronger NOW than the average NBA center. Noah will get manhandled inside and be forced to foul.

Quote:

Who cares if Noah doesn't score 20 points per game if he can stop the other team from scoring which is something Zaza can't do.

If you think Zaza is a better defender than Noah you are a complete moron.

I don't think Zaza is a better defender, but if I did, it's a lot more reasonable than "Who cares if Noah doesn't score 20 points per game if he can stop the other team from scoring which is something Zaza can't do."

Noah isn't stopping ANYONE from scoring in the NBA. Like I said he will block some shots, but won't stop anyone. As of now, he is no better than Solomon Jones. They are actually very similar players.

Quote:

Actually if you are in a running system like the Suns Noah is by far the best big prospect.

No. Horford is the better prospect in any system, including a running system. Horford is stronger, faster, more athletic, and a better rebounder than Noah. Just wait and see. Noah got the hype last season, but Horford is a better pro prospect.

Quote:

I'm not sure who we take if we got the #3 pick. Noah is not someone I want on this team and Horford is another Brian Cook clone from the lakers. They have the exact same game if anyone has seen Cook play at Illinois and now with LA.

Are you serious? Not even close. Brian Cook doesn't even belong in the same conversation as Horford. Cook has about one-third of Horford's athleticism. I mean, Horford can guard college PG's when he gets switched on to one, and Florida used him to break full-court pressure at times because he's an incredible ball-handler for his size.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Quote:

Actually if you are in a running system like the Suns Noah is by far the best big prospect.

No. Horford is the better prospect in any system, including a running system. Horford is stronger, faster, more athletic, and a better rebounder than Noah. Just wait and see. Noah got the hype last season, but Horford is a better pro prospect.

Horford is what a 5th pick Pf is all about. The guy can really do it all. Not a weakness in his game. He can hit the 18'er and isn't afraid to take it. In fact it looks pure. He's long, he runs the court even with the ball, rebounds, blocks shots, scores, position defense, you name it. Enough intensity that he'll reach his ceiling. I don't see a weakness in his game. Noah may do on or two things better but hardly if that and he's not very close IMO overall.

W

If the Hawks had the 3rd and 12th pick I would draft either Horford or Wright and do what it takes to get conley. Hawks would then trade Marvin,sheldon or Childress or if needed 2 out of 3. Marvin I just do not see star over him,childress while good will never start since JJ is here and Sheldon enough said.

Trading for a veteran would be an option depends on what we get back. For J O Neal I would give the 3rd and one of the 3 players I mentioned above. O Neal though makes a huge amount so I wonder if he would fit in the budget.

Quote:

Um.. he was playing against COLLEGE players. Bryant Reeves was great in the NCAA tourney, so was Mateen Cleeves, whatever happened to them? You saw how Oden completely punked Noah in the championship game. Oden isn't that much stronger NOW than the average NBA center. Noah will get manhandled inside and be forced to foul.

Noah isn't stopping ANYONE from scoring in the NBA. Like I said he will block some shots, but won't stop anyone. As of now, he is no better than Solomon Jones. They are actually very similar players.

Mateen Cleeves and Bryant Reeves were known for their defense?

Defense translates into the pros a helluva lot more than offense especially when you've gone up against top level competition like Noah has. The SEC was one of the strongest conferences in basketball the first year UF won the title.

BTW, I didn't mean player of the year. I know JJ Redick won that year. I mean he was the most outstanding player in the tournament, was the best player in the conference, and considered the top overall pick.

Like I said, you don't get that many blocks if you can't play defense.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree how that will translate to the pros, I just don't see how it won't.

People say he needs to gain weight but how can you question whether or not he has the work ethic in order to improve any of his weaknesses with how passionate the man is about the sport? And he did put on a few pounds this year.

Quote:

Quote:

Horford is faster than Noah? You have obviously never watched a UF game if you say that. Noah runs the floor faster than pretty much any big man in the country.

He is definitely faster than Horford.

And you want to talk about putting the ball on the floor, Noah was a guard in HS who grew into his body and he has led a few fast breaks outrunning backcourt players while dribbling to the basket.

Horford is stronger than Noah but you have to be kidding me with the speed and ball handling categories.

That's why Noah has so much upside. He runs the floor like he's a swingman but he has the height and wingspan of a 7 footer.

Quote:

Horford is faster than Noah? You have obviously never watched a UF game if you say that. Noah runs the floor faster than pretty much any big man in the country.

He is definitely faster than Horford.

And you want to talk about putting the ball on the floor, Noah was a guard in HS who grew into his body and he has led a few fast breaks outrunning backcourt players while dribbling to the basket.

Horford is stronger than Noah but you have to be kidding me with the speed and ball handling categories.

You've obviously read about Florida more than you've watched them play. Just wait until the predraft sprints....Horford is faster. Yes, Noah is very fast...for a 6-11 guy...and yes, he handles the ball very well...for a 6-11 guy, but he's still not as fast as Horford.

Question: Have you actually seen Horford handle the ball in the open court? Or are you just assuming that Noah is better based on what you've read about Noah for the last year? I have a feeling it's the latter, because once you've seen Horford handle the ball in the open court it's very hard not to come away impressed.

In case you don't believe me, though, here's this from Chad Ford:

Quote:

...impresses scouts with his ability to handle the ball under pressure in the open court...

And this from Hoopshype:

Quote:

...surpisingly good ball-handler and passer...

And this from NBADraft.net:

Quote:

Runs extremely well, able to beat most forwards down the court...A surprising ball handler and passer for his size...

And this from Draft Express:

Quote:

Coach Billy Donovan has stated publicly that Horford is the most intelligent player he’s ever coached....did very well running the floor both with and without the ball...On three or four occasions, Horford dribbled the ball from one free-throw line to the other, looking comfortable and fluid...It's a rare skill for a PF to have that level of ball-handling...

Quote:

...That's why Noah has so much upside. He runs the floor like he's a swingman but he has the height and wingspan of a 7 footer.

Noah is my #1 "?????" guy. He could easily just get a contract and smoke weed...or he could be really good...very good.

^Of course, Noah is also a good ball-handler for his size, but it's not necessarily beautiful to behold. And I just don't see how Noah is going to score except by getting easy dunks. He's kind of like a 7-foot version of Childress except without any kind of jumpshot at all, and he's not quite the ball-handler that Childress is and doesn't even have as developed a post-up game as Childress. I think Noah will be a valuable role-player, but I just don't see how he'll be anything more than that.

As a transition ball-handler, Horford just impresses more me a lot more than Noah in terms of fluidity and especially in terms of speed and power with the ball in his hands in the open court. And once you get into a halfcourt game, Horford has shown a lot more in terms of postmoves and is even developing a midrange jumper, and he's just as good a passer as Noah. He also has Noah beat in terms of rebounding, and Horford is no slouch as a shotblocker, with 1.8 blocks per game in only 27 minutes.

Really, I guess the Horford and Noah thing is pretty close. I think both may only end up being very good role players, but both also have the potential to be more than that. It's just that Horford seems to have more to offer in every phase of the game except for pure length ... although Noah's length is very nice. I just don't know if Noah can bang with the big boys enough to dominate against PF's and C's, and I'm not sure if his ballhandling skills, as good as they are, will give him any real advantage over NBA SF's.