If we get no picks what can be salvaged??

Wurider05

There is a strong possibility that we make come away from the draft lottery without anything. If that happens what do we do then. There is no way JJ, MW, JS get traded. I mean we are going to be f*cked royally. DO we have money to sign a free agent?

No, we can't sign free-agents. This is what I've been hollering about ever since we signed Lo. The additions of Lo and AJ made it impossible for us to compete for premium FA talent this off-season.

Lo and AJ. Say that to yourself a few times. We exchanged cap-room in the best FA market in years for Lo and AJ. Good gravy.

Holy freaking cow.

Lo and AJ. Don't forget Speedy, but even after the Speedy signing we were FINE as long as we didn't add another contract. Then we signed Lo and traded for AJ. WHAT WERE WE THINKING?

OH, and to answer your question about draft picks. We are screwed if we don't get a top-3. Absolutely screwed. This is why I've been screaming "TANK" for months. We had every opportunity to be 2nd worst. The AJ trade will now make getting #3 a challenge.

We can always sign and trade....if we can find a FA that wants to come here.

If we decide to dump Lue,the Lakers and Heat always seem to be interested in him.

Maybe we can work something out with them.

AHF, I dispute that AJ and Lue can be shed as easily as you think. It's true they have value, but we'd have to find a team below the cap to trade us picks for them (no contracts can be taken back). There are only a few teams with cap space, and I'm not sure any of them want to use it on AJ/Lue.

Furthermore, we'd likely have to trade both of them to free up some nice space. Possible, but it won't be easy.

Yeah, but what are we going to trade? Childress? MW?

If we do trade one of those guys, we would be admitting that signing Lo/AJ was more important than retaining Childress or MW. Wow! How sick would you feel to know that signing those two stiffs cost us a serious value in one of our core young players?

I don't mind trading Childress or Marvin, as long as it improves the team.We all know that,one of those guys will have to leave sooner or later.We can't afford to pay all the guys new contracts.And if you were Childress, would u stay in atlanta if u could be a starter

some where else?

not having any draft picks would mean that we don't have to pay three million in salary. that along with johnson, and childress could give us something to work a sign and trade with a team like sacremento for bibby. or we could go the cheaper route and sign a free agent like blake or boykins. the only place we would be screwed at would be the center position unless solomon jones turns into a beast or we can sign david andersen. with smush parker trying to burn bridges with the Lakers, we could give them a swap smush parker for tyron lue since they make the same amount of money. we could also try to get mo williams of the bucks. i think that that could be a great place for josh childress to land he would be great with redd and co. we have options for the point but the hard part will be trying to get a center which would have been hard to do anway since oden would have been gone at 3 and hibbert would be gone at 12. we will be blowing up the point guard rotation this offseason though, i don't expect all of them to be back next semester.

Quote:

There is a strong possibility that we make come away from the draft lottery without anything. If that happens what do we do then. There is no way JJ, MW, JS get traded. I mean we are going to be f*cked royally. DO we have money to sign a free agent?

If we get no picks we have to hope Marvin blossoms like Smoove did.

I think he can and he has shown strides of imporvement pretty much every month of his career.

We also have to hope that Solomon can develop into a 5.

And at the 1 we should give Salim a chance

Salim Stoudemire

Joe Johnson

Marvin Williams

Josh Smith

Solomon Jones

That could be a championship team in 2-3 years.

• Premium Member

Quote:

AJ and Lue will be easily moveable this offseason if we want to shed them from the roster.

Yeah and I remember Harrington was supposed to be "easy to move" and look at what we got for him.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

AJ and Lue will be easily moveable this offseason if we want to shed them from the roster.

Yeah and I remember Harrington was supposed to be "easy to move" and look at what we got for him.

Vol4ever, you're more than smart enough to discern the difference between the contracts Lue & AJ have for next season and the one that Harrington was seeking.

They are not comparable.

• Moderators

Quote:

AHF, I dispute that AJ and Lue can be shed as easily as you think. It's true they have value, but we'd have to find a team below the cap to trade us picks for them (no contracts can be taken back). There are only a few teams with cap space, and I'm not sure any of them want to use it on AJ/Lue.

Furthermore, we'd likely have to trade both of them to free up some nice space. Possible, but it won't be easy.

I agree they would be harder to move for pure cap space than for other assets (such as in a S&T, etc.) because of the limited number of teams that could simply absorb them.

• Premium Member

No. I think we build chemistry and we look for a trade to bring in a big man. There's no need in crying over spilled milk. We will have 2 first rounders next year to slouber over.

There are some players who will go cheap who we can consider like Magloire and Mihm. However, I think our target ought to be teams who are interested in trading for ending contracts like (Lue + Lo Wright). If Philly scores well in the draft and they feel secure with Hunter and want to resign him, I don't see a problem with going after Dalembert or Andre Miller. I'm sure GS would hand us Foyle for Lue. I think we can get in the bidding process for Petro.

Other than that, I don't think we have to cry Why me on this one. I think we do have some good player development going on, regardless of what some say.. and I just believe that if we trim the fat and get back to good coach (a new coach) we can do some things.

I agree about moving Lue and AJ. It's far from done. Lue has been hurt all year and is having trouble healing. AJ may be insurance for somebody but they won't be knocking down our door to get him.

Why get AJ? Trust me, we weren't a playoff team. We were 4 back and praying for a miracle. And that 2nd pick may have been the only one we have.

This GM and ownership are bloody pitiful. I'm glad Levenson is happy with his performance. He is the only one. Thanks, ASG for letting your GM screw up our team.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Just one more road block to getting adeal done. Like this team needs any more obstacles.

The AJ trade deal was CYA, job saving ridiculousness. Just inane.

W

Guest Walter

Quote:

NO-body is taking on Lo even for a year. a team might take on Lue or AJ but they have to be below the cap.

Of course we can make a trade rather than sign a FA. Still, nothing trades like cap space.

W

I agree with you Diesel but if we come away with no picks and Phoenix gets a superstar with the pick the media is going to kill us. They are going to overlook the fact the Diaw became fat and lazy after he got his money. I don't think that we improved enough for the media not to crucify us. It is becoming hard as hell to be a Hawks fan but I am in for the long haul. Marvin has got to deliver next year.

• Premium Member

For now...

We can come away with no pick and Phoenix can come away with a draft choice.

I'm not excited about anybody after Oden. And if Phoenix is getting our pick it is 4 or less.

But the best response is that Phoenix got:

Said draft pick, Diaw, and Cash considerations.

We got an allstar...

I think the problem with so many fans is that they have short memories. Don't you realize that we got an Allstar out of that trade. A young guy with a bright future. It's like Detroit traded us Joe Dumars for Stacey Augmon, Demarr, and cash.