• Raised $390 of $700 target

Could we aquire Barbosa?

jjjohnson

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, Smoove is not on the trading block. Second, Barbosa is not a true PG like we need. He is a very good SCORING pg, but not a distributor.

I like his game--he is hard to stop off the dribble and a serious outside threat. However I don't think he fills a need.

Quote:

First of all, Smoove is not on the trading block. Second, Barbosa is not a true PG like we need. He is a very good SCORING pg, but not a distributor.

I like his game--he is hard to stop off the dribble and a serious outside threat. However I don't think he fills a need.

As good as Smith is, he isn't a player you build around his offensive game is not polished to the point where he could be a go to scorer. We already have JJ locked up. Why would Smith not be on the block? Look at it from an objective perspective, we could get a GREAT piece for Smith. There aren't many pass first point gurads in the league, so I think a young PG like Barbosa can still distribute, while getting his points too.

Now this is in no way shape or form supposed to bash Smith, he is one of my favourite players, and I wouldn't want to see him go. But I think we would forget about him SOON, if we started winning. It's either him or Marvin, and too be honest with you I think we could peel off more in return for Smith.

Quote:

Quote:

As good as Smith is, he isn't a player you build around his offensive game is not polished to the point where he could be a go to scorer. We already have JJ locked up. Why would Smith not be on the block? Look at it from an objective perspective, we could get a GREAT piece for Smith. There aren't many pass first point gurads in the league, so I think a young PG like Barbosa can still distribute, while getting his points too.

Now this is in no way shape or form supposed to bash Smith, he is one of my favourite players, and I wouldn't want to see him go. But I think we would forget about him SOON, if we started winning. It's either him or Marvin, and too be honest with you I think we could peel off more in return for Smith.

didnt we bring t lue hear for the same thing? im not saying lue is just as good as barbosa but i would give up marvin before smoove. and if we bring barbosa hear, we would have to play a faster pace, smoove fits that run and gun stiyle more than marvin.

• Moderators

(1) Smith's value irrespective of position is MUCH greater than Barbosa's at this point, IMO.

(2) If Barbosa was capable of running the point why in the world would Phoenix have signed Marcus Banks to a 5 year, 21 million dollar deal this offseason?

How about Childress for Barbosa ? That is much closer to equal market value. Or even Chils / Lue for Barbosa. That is worth our while if your a Hawk.

Are you really a Suns fan ? Your screen name is Joe Johnson, an X - Sun. The proposal you made of Smoove for Barbosa is lop-sided for the Suns don't you think ?

Smoove on the Suns would be down right nasty. Stoudamire, Smoove, and the Matrix running the break and being spoon fed easy dunks by Nash. Just plain nasty ! These 3 are probably 3 of the 6 best athletes in the NBA, maybe even the 3 best athletes all on one team. So happens to be the team that runs the most.

You must be a Suns spy !

Too bad with Nash aging and having chronic back problems/ Barbosa is their only insurance policy. No way they trade him without some PG insurance for, not if but when Nash misses games with his chronic bad back and aging body.

If Nash goes down their dominant roster suddenly turns into alot of good pieces that just don't fit. Much like the current Hawks roster.

Quote:

(1) Smith's value irrespective of position is MUCH greater than Barbosa's at this point, IMO.

(2) If Barbosa was capable of running the point why in the world would Phoenix have signed Marcus Banks to a 5 year, 21 million dollar deal this offseason?

You're acting like Banks is playing over Barbosa, and like Banks is capable of running the point in case Barbosa isn't.

Banks is a Mike James clone.

And I agree that I would rather move Williams than Smith, but I think that our strength is at the forward positions, and that moving our best forward for a higher return in our weaker area would make us a better overall team.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

You're acting like Banks is playing over Barbosa, and like Banks is capable of running the point in case Barbosa isn't.

And I agree that I would rather move Williams than Smith, but I think that our strength is at the forward positions, and that moving our best forward for a higher return in our weaker area would make us a better overall team.

I am NOT acting like Banks is playing over Barbosa. I am telling you that Banks sucks and they Suns were still so desparate for a backup PG that they gave him 21 million dollars to back up Steve Nash last offseason. If they believed in Barbosa, they would not have done that. Barbosa is a scoring combo guard. I like him but he isn't nearly as valuable as Josh Smith and isn't a point.

If you are going to deal our second best player you better come back with a lot more than Barbosa.

Quote:

How about Childress for Barbosa ? That is much closer to equal market value. Or even Chils / Lue for Barbosa. That is worth our while if your a Hawk.

Are you really a Suns fan ? Your screen name is Joe Johnson, an X - Sun. The proposal you made of Smoove for Barbosa is lop-sided for the Suns don't you think ?

Smoove on the Suns would be down right nasty. Stoudamire, Smoove, and the Matrix running the break and being spoon fed easy dunks by Nash. Just plain nasty ! These 3 are probably 3 of the 6 best athletes in the NBA, maybe even the 3 best athletes all on one team. So happens to be the team that runs the most.

You must be a Suns spy !

Too bad with Nash aging and having chronic back problems/ Barbosa is their only insurance policy. No way they trade him without some PG insurance for, not if but when Nash misses games with his chronic bad back and aging body.

If Nash goes down their dominant roster suddenly turns into alot of good pieces that just don't fit. Much like the current Hawks roster.

I think you're underestimating Barbosa!! The guy has to play behind the best PG in the game. He's not the greatest playmaker, but he can shoot the ball extremely well, and is lighting quick. He is a great scorer, but he can also get into the seams with his speed, and the defense will have to collapse on him. We have spot up shooters in Johnson and Childress, and even Zaza can hit the mid range shot - So him getting into the holes and kicking it out to JJ for open shots will be great for our team.

And no i am not a suns fan. just because i have the screen name of joe johnson, doesn't mean i am a suns fan. I'm just more of an objective fan, and while Jsmoove is great, a point guard is not going to improve his game, as his shot is not the greatest yet. Also, he likes his shot more than I do, and tends to shoot it more.

Smith is a great help defender, and a good defender when he gambles, and makes the play. Other than that he can get caught cheating a lot, and sometimes I cringe at him playing the PF, when he seems like he's suited best at the 3, despite his size. His quickness and athleticism make him a 3. Marvin Williams has the potential to fill the voids that Smith brings us.

the good thing about teams like PHX is they have to make tough decisions sooner or later on talent. they can't keep everyone, especially when they have tons of money tied up in 3 or 4 players.

think about how bad that Diaw contract looks nowthumb3d.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I am NOT acting like Banks is playing over Barbosa. I am telling you that Banks sucks and they Suns were still so desparate for a backup PG that they gave him 21 million dollars to back up Steve Nash last offseason. If they believed in Barbosa, they would not have done that. Barbosa is a scoring combo guard. I like him but he isn't nearly as valuable as Josh Smith and isn't a point.

If you are going to deal our second best player you better come back with a lot more than Barbosa.

Barbosa is an efficient scorer who i believe CAN be a capable playmaker if asked to do so. He's a starter with better numbers on anyother team than the suns.

since i don't come on often, im just gonna bash you.

Barbosa IMO is no starter material. They lost to us for god's sake when Nash went down. Obviously he is no playmaker when you have 2 other All-stars and still cannot beat the hawks. He is a product of the Sun's system just like Diaw. Watch the games and you will see how many open shots and open lanes for him to drive due to the great system Phoenix has.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Barbosa is an efficient scorer who i believe CAN be a capable playmaker if asked to do so. He's a starter with better numbers on anyother team than the suns.

You and I have very different fundamental views on the value of Barbosa and Smith and will just have to agree to disagree. Barbosa is much lower replacement value in my mind than Josh Smith.

• Moderators

Quote:

This isn't even close. Let's trade Joe Johnson for Rafael Araujo while we're at it to get the center we need.

Hoffa would have double the numbers on any team other than the Jazz. He is stuck behind Boozer and Memo. Respect Araujo!