• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks @ Bucks

gsuteke

• Premium Member

Shelden with 16 points and 17 rebounds, 1 block. I don't care if it IS against a bad team, I'd rather him be playing well and gaining confidence, then still playing bad against a bad team. Too bad he still won't be able to get PT next year.

Marvin was solid with 21 and 9, Smith as usual had a great all-around game.

God BK better draft a PG with the Indy pick, I am seriously terrified... Oh and thanks again for getting AJ.

• Premium Member

YOu can say what you want about SHelden.

His play recently, lets you know that our coach isn't about anything. All those games Shelden logged in 5 minutes.. For all of you who say level of competition, I invite you back to the beginning of the season when Shelden was leading all rookies in rebounding and was 12th on the NBA rebounding leader board.

It had to be a confidence blow to have your coach pull you out of the game and then to tell the media that you don't do the dirty work???

Could Woody be more specific...

Because it seems to me like Shelden was sacrificed so that Marvin can get in his complimentary minutes.

Quote:

His play recently, lets you know that our coach isn't about anything. All those games Shelden logged in 5 minutes.. For all of you who say level of competition, I invite you back to the beginning of the season when Shelden was leading all rookies in rebounding and was 12th on the NBA rebounding leader board.

It had to be a confidence blow to have your coach pull you out of the game and then to tell the media that you don't do the dirty work???

Because it seems to me like Shelden was sacrificed so that Marvin can get in his complimentary minutes.

i don't think Marvin is benefiting from Shelden sitting. they provide totally different things on the court. if anything Shelden would eat a little of Smoove's minutes.

while they may not be "impact" players this very second the past week or two has shown that Shelden and Marvin can be important contributors to this team with the addition of a PG this offseason. no more pass the ball to Joe and watch him dribble.

a new coach with an offensive scheme would be just the trick next year.

the Hawks are 15th in scoring defense, dead last in points scored.

Quote:

Diesel, can you not even discuss your favorite player without blaming something on Marvin?!?! wink.gif

Your coaching excuse for Shelden could apply to more players than just Shelden. Imagine the emotional wear and tear of playing for the bad news bears franchise with a laughingstock cast of characters as your ownership and management, in front of dismal home court fans during a LONG 82 game season. Nothing would do this young team more good than getting a fresh start with new management and a new coach to breath new life into their very young and developing games. A new coach that has some credibility.

It's so good to see Shelden playing with some enthusiasm and energy, and good seeing Marvin bounce back from a real clunker. I can't believe that Este and Solomon didn't get more PT, but I guess the main goal was getting the core of the core out there playing together.

Even for those of you out there who have anti-Marvin or anti-Shelden agendas, you HAVE to be pleased seeing these guys put up good numbers. At the very least it will help their marketability and trade value if we ever get around to turning our collection of talented basketball players into a "team". Make no mistake, 17 boards in any game by any player stands out on scout's stat sheets.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I've agreed that Shelden is much better than people here give him credit for, but have maintained he was a bad pick because he won't see significant PT (when we are healthy) that one would expect from a #5 pick, solely because of our clutter at the 2/3/4 positions.

Marvin is GOING to play over Shelden because he went #2, even if it's unjustified, which also pisses me off, because frankly, I think Marvin has been more disappointing. We were much more successful BEFORE Marvin returned from injury than post-Marvin.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Diesel, can you not even discuss your favorite player without blaming something on Marvin?!?!

Whether you want to admit it or not, it's true.. Marvin took Shelden's minutes. We were a .500 team before Marvin returned, not so great afterwards. By replacing Shelden, we lost rebounding and defense, and gained a better jumpshot (although not THAT great).

• Premium Member

Whether Marvin is the reason for the Hawks' struggles is an endless debate (you could just as easily attribute their early success to JJ's incredible play or Lue's playing above his ability).

But to say that Marvin took Shelden's minutes isn't accurate. Marvin played roughly the same minutes per game in December, January, and February. By contrast, Shelden's minutes fell dramatically in February.

I compared the percentage of team minutes each player logged for the Hawks in both January and February. The following players saw increases in their playing time in February:

1. Speedy Claxton (5.72%) [He was healthier]

2. Josh Smith (4.49%)

3. Anthony Johnson (2.60%) [Just a three game sample]

4. Zaza Pachulia (1.46%)

4. Joe Johnson (1.24%)

(These increases total 15.5% of the team's minutes in February).

The following players saw significant decreases in their playing time in February:

1. Shelden Williams (-5.86%)

2. Royal Ivey (-2.59%)

3. Lorenzen Wright (-1.99%)

4. Solomon Jones (-1.62%)

5. Salim Stoudamire (-1.37%)

6. Tyronn Lue (-1.25%)

(These decreases total 14.7%, making up for the majority of increases).

The following players saw virtually no change in their playing time:

1. Slava Medvedenko (-0.04%)

2. Esteban Batista (-0.17%)

3. Josh Childress (-0.28%)

4. Marvin Williams (-0.32%)

---

What does all of this mean? Quite simply, Marvin Williams didn't take Shelden's minutes, Josh Smith and Zaza Pachulia did.

• Premium Member

Quote:

1. Speedy Claxton (5.72%) [He was healthier]

2. Josh Smith (4.49%)

3. Anthony Johnson (2.60%) [Just a three game sample]

4. Zaza Pachulia (1.46%)

4. Joe Johnson (1.24%)

Exactly! Late January and early February we were healthy. That's been my point all along, Shelden will not get PT on a healthy ATL roster, unless Marvin hits the pine.