• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Marvin's 2nd year VS other top 5 lotto SF's

pimp

Marvin Williams - 2005 2nd pick

06-07 MPG-34.0 PPG-13.0 REB-5.2 APG-1.9 FG%-42% 3P%-24%

This is just to see how Marvin measures up to other SF'S drafted in the top five, in the last 15 years

All the stats are from the players (((2ND SEASON)))

LeBron James - 2003 1st pick

04-05 MPG-42.4 PPG-27.2 REB-7.4 APG-7.2 FG%_47% 3P%-35%

Carmelo Anthony - 2003 3rd pick

04-05 MPG-34.8 PPG-20.8 REB-5.7 APG-2.6 FG%-43% 3P%-26%

Mike Dunleavy - 2002 3rd pick

03-04 MPG-31.1 PPG-11.7 REB-5.9 APG-2.9 FG%-45% 3P%-37%

Darius Miles - 2000 3rd pick

01-02 MPG-27.2 PPG-9.5 REB-5.5 APG-2.2 FG%-48.1 3P%-15%

Mike Miller - 2000 5th pick

01-02 MPG-33.7 PPG-15.2 REB-4.3 APG-3.1 FG%-43% 3P%-38%

Lamar Odom - 1999 4th pick

00-01 MPG-37.3 PPG-17.2 REB-7.8 APG-5.2 FG%-46% 3P%-31%

Antawn Jamison - 1998 4th pick

99-00 MPG-36.2 PPG-19.6 REB-8.3 APG-2.1 FG%-47% 3P%-28%

Vince Carter - 1998 5TH pick

99-00 MPG-38.1 PPG-25.7 REB-5.8 APG-3.9 FG%-46% 3P-40%

Keith Van Horn - 1997 2nd pick

98-99 MPG-37.5 PPG-21.8 REB-8.5 APG-1.5 FG%-42% 3P%-30%

Glenn Robinson - 1994 first pick

95-96 MPG-39.6 PPG-20.2 REB-6.1 APG-3.6 FG%-45% 3P%-34

Grant Hill - 1994 3rd pick

95-96 MPG-40.8 PPG-20.2 REB-9.8 APG-6.9 FG%-46% 3P%-19%

Jamal Mashburn 1993 4th pick

94-95 MPG-37.3 PPG-24.1 REB-4.1 APG-3.7 FG%-43% 3P%-32%

Laphonso Ellis 1992 5th pick

93-94 MPG 34.2 PPG-15.4 REB-8.6 APG-2.1 FG%-50% 3P%-30%

Billy Owens 1991 3rd pick

92-93 MPG 34.7 PPG-16.5 REB-7.1 APG-3.9 FG%-50% 3P%-0.9%

• Moderators

The age thing is a factor - such as Tyrus Thomas this year with his 5.2 ppg and 3.8 rpg averages for his first year. He is young enough that those numbers are not going to worry the Bulls like they would worry the Milwaukee Bucks if Glenn Robinson put them up.

Quote:

The Bulls are a playoff Team.Rookies don't get much playing time on playoff teams. That's why Tyrus Thomas is only playing 13.4 minutes a game.But, 5points and 4 rebs is pretty good for 13mpg.

Agreed. Playing time and the quality of team the guy is playing on have to be factored in. Obviously getting minutes and production on a good team is more impressive then getting minutes on a bad team.

I see marvin doing really well if he can start being a 3 point threat. I know he isnt bad but if he could become an antawn jamison I would be happy. Jamison played PF at carolina but now is a good wingplayer that has range that extends to the 3 point line. I see marvin doing that.

• Moderators

Quote:

The Bulls are a playoff Team.Rookies don't get much playing time on playoff teams. That's why Tyrus Thomas is only playing 13.4 minutes a game.But, 5points and 4 rebs is pretty good for 13mpg.

Context matters for all players and numbers. It isn't supplied for any of them. That is my only point.

Quote:

I see marvin doing really well if he can start being a 3 point threat. I know he isnt bad but if he could become an antawn jamison I would be happy. Jamison played PF at carolina but now is a good wingplayer that has range that extends to the 3 point line. I see marvin doing that.

To be honest, I rather have a Deron Williams or Chris Paul then an Antwan Jamison.

For that kind of pick, I expect a franchise changer from the SF position, not a 3rd option guy who hangs around for jumpshots as he is today. I'll be more receptive to him being here instead of Paul or Deron Williams when he's a 2nd option at worst, meaning he's a 22/7 type of player who can be counted on a nightly basis like some of the others mentioned. I know, age and caliber of team are factors, but if it was going to take this long to see what he is, why the hell would you get him instead of a PG, especially when they had no semblence of one to start. Forget it, a beaten horse, already discussed..... Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

• Premium Member

Said it then.

I repeat it now.

We wasted that pick... Period.

We missed out on a franchise changing guard Period..

Marvin equates to Darius Miles or Laphonzo Ellis with worse shooting.

Fire the coach.

Fire the GM.

Call me when we can draft again!!

LOL @ 22/7 players being a 2nd option on a team. Those numbers are usually what the main option guys get, and it gets you borderline all-star consideration.

I think we all know that Marvin was the "wrong" pick, simply because Paul could've stepped in and immeadiately been a starter at PG. Marvin would've had to be very, very good right out the gate, to displace Al or Smoove out of that 3 or 4 spot. Paul, on the other hand, only had to beat out Lue. That's easier said than done, because Woody likes his vets, and Lue, when going offensively, isn't a bad player to have on the team.

Having said that, I can't complain too much about Marvin, because he's probably progressing exactly at the rate he should be progressing, seeing that he isn't looked at as being the go-to-guy, like Lebron, Melo, Carter, and Big Dog were.

With Smoove probably firmly establishing himself as the #2 option, people may have to settle for Marvin being a 13 - 17 ppg scorer and a 5 - 7 rbg guy, unless Marvin becomes an aggressive slasher, as well as a good mid-range shooter.

But I want to see that FG% dramatically increase to around the 47% - 50% range. No more 43% shooting from the 3 spot after this season.

From the 2nd pick of the draft, especially if the team selecting him passes on borderline All-Star point guards while it has Tyronn Lue as its most reliable option there. There, I said it; my expectations of Marvin Williams are SKY HIGH considering who was left at the alter. I expect him to be an aggressive slasher, have a deadly mid-range shot, and be the guy riding shotgun with Joe Johnson in terms of scoring because his draft position dictates it; why in the hell would you get him so high in the first place if he couldn't do that?

Why can't the 2nd pick overall be a go-to guy or a second option on the 2nd lowest scoring team in the league?

• Moderators

The next Darius Miles???

In what way are they vaguely comparable? Miles took 5 years in the NBA before even averaging double digits and couldn't hit a shot beyond 5 feet from the basket. Miles and Marvin are not remotely comparable, IMO, unless you just want to insult Marvin by comparing him to do-nothings like Miles, Thomas, etc. over and over despite the lack of comparable numbers and/or game.

• Premium Member

The next Darius Miles in the way that he was taken way too early with lots of hype behind him by a franchise who at the time had a Lamar Odom and could have really used a PG better than Hudson or a Center.

Yall are talking as if he wasn't a project to begin with. Going from scoring 11ppg in college to 13 in the pros is tremendous. If Chris Paul was on this team we probably would have played him much since Woody like his teacher, Larry Brown, doesn't like young players. Marvin will probably avg 18/7 next season which is fine by me, especially if Josh Smith is avg 20/10 and JJ is avg 25/5/5

• Premium Member

Quote:

Yall are talking as if he wasn't a project to begin with. Going from scoring 11ppg in college to 13 in the pros is tremendous.

No it's not, Marvin only played like 22 mpg in college. He played 34 this year, so he's actually playing worse from a PER standpoint. His FG% is also much lower, he doesn't rebound or pass, and all he can do is shoot. And he's not even that good a shooter, he still can't shoot 3's in the pros..