• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Rumor on Ownership squabble resolution?

bumpyphish1

I am not trying to start some unfounded rumor. This was posted on AJC.com by someone as as a reply to Sekou's latest blog:

"This just in from John Kincade of 680 The Fan. He is in NY and stated from a reliable source that the court decision between the Spirit & Belkin is coming soon. His source told him if Belkin wins, he will keep the Hawks and put the Thrashers up for sale immediately. If the Spirit win, they have a deep pocketed investor already lined up who will take over 40% of the ownership. If this is true, our comments about how cheap the Spirit have been are justified. These guys couldn’t afford to run the franchise properly."

So, first off, did anyone actually hear this said on Kincaide's show? I am glad the ownership situation may be resolved soon. It would also be great if we had a "deep pocketed investor already lined up who will take over 40% of the ownership". Then, we might actually become a player in FA. Just thought you guys might want to see this. Thoughts?

• Premium Member

This just sounds like possibilities.

A resolution is that Turner is the deep pocketed guy and they have decided to pay Belkin off.

Moreover, I wouldn't call the AS cheap because they got another investor. Hell, that's Smart. I would love to see one mega rich owner take over and John Wayne the show, but that's not neccessary to be competitive.

Quote:

Moreover, I wouldn't call the AS cheap because they got another investor. Hell, that's Smart.

I just think he was referring to how people seem to have mentioned that we have been "cheap" because the owners had their hands tied by the lawsuit and possibly did not have enough funds to run the franchise properly without Belkin's capital even without the lawsuit.

If Ted Turner did come in, I would flip my $hit (in a good way). I would love for Ted to come in and save the Hawks. He and Jane used to like going to games. Maybe he is sick of watching us lose.

• Premium Member

Hell, everytime I saw business Ted at the game, he was sleep.

But I know after the sale, he had a silent percentage of the team. If he wanted to, he could go to bat for Atlanta one more time.

There's also: Bernard Marcus, Jesse Robinson, Forrest Mars Jr., John Mars, Larry Page, or Ann Cox Chambers, ...

the thing is that if it is resolved soon, there will be an appeal right after that unless Stern steps in, will prolong it once again. supreme court baby.

the fact that they'd bring in a "deep pocketd" investor tells me they want someone who will spend money, aka improve the team.

Quote:

the fact that they'd bring in a "deep pocketd" investor tells me they want someone who will spend money, aka improve the team.

This was the idea that got me somewhat excited...I neglected to think about the fact that it could be appealed again. That's just terrible. Still, if before the draft (or before FA at least), this thing is settled AND we have a new "deep pocketed" investor, then that will offer us up, laddies.

• Moderators

There are two levels of potential appeals after this one.

First, to the Maryland Supreme Court.

Second, to the United States Supreme Court.

As a practical matter, it is unclear whether either side would be able to get an appeal through to the Maryland Supreme Court but it is very unlikely that the US Supreme Court would hear the case.

As you may recall, the ASG tried to get this case moved directly to the Maryland Supreme Court so it could be resolved with some finality more quickly but Belkin opposed this move so that the parties would have to take the additional time and expense of going through the Maryland Court of Appeals.

Quote:

As you may recall, the ASG tried to get this case moved directly to the Maryland Supreme Court so it could be resolved with some finality more quickly but Belkin opposed this move so that the parties would have to take the additional time and expense of going through the Maryland Court of Appeals.

Sounds like Belkin...what a prick

Quote:

Quote:

heard it on the way back to work. Stan Kasten was on and the partner they would bring in is not local.

he said the resolution is "years" away. per Kasten the last court ruling actually slowed down the process.

Ugh.

yeah it was about 4:30. i thought the same thing.

Kasten used the term "years." i was suprised to hear him use that terminology. he then expanded upon it so it wasn't an error on his part.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Quote:

years away? are you kidding me???

can someone please dispute this??!!!

Years away is a possibility.

Without this team likely to spend how it should (although it seems to have squandered it's space anyhow), we can't hope to improve significantly through any other means than the draft and we really need this year's top 3 pick to do so.

However, I wonder how much Durant or Oden would up the value of this franchise and somehow ratchet up the fight to keep it. Let's say seats filled (not ticket sales) increase by 7,500 per (less than with Lebron I believe). This many year long battle could somehow get nastier.

W

• Premium Member

Quote:

Its nice to know the numerous times I have posted about this and told you people it will take years to resolve the legal issues that all of ya listened. tongue.gif Just kidding but seriously...I talk to people inside the front office and everything they said about this being a slow and painful process that will take years to resolve has come true.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Its nice to know the numerous times I have posted about this and told you people it will take years to resolve the legal issues that all of ya listened. tongue.gif Just kidding but seriously...I talk to people inside the front office and everything they said about this being a slow and painful process that will take years to resolve has come true.

I have been with you on this. The only way to get it resolved quickly is to buy Belkin out or have Belkin buy the ASG out.