• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Salim is SO underutilized....

bumpyphish1

Seems that Sekou agrees with me, and not most of you crazy knuckle-heads on Woody's idiotic lack of playing Salim. From Sekou's season recap:

"Salim Stoudamire

6-1, Guard

• 2006-07 salary: $729,000

• Key stats: Led team in FT percentage (.897), 7.7 points, 1.2 rebounds

• Highlight: Averaged 16.2 points, .488 from

3-point line in last nine games

• Lowlight: Spent most of season outside of regular rotation

• Breakdown: Stoudamire's spotty activity remains one of the major strategic mistakes of the season (no, he's not a point guard). When the Hawks took advantage of what he has to offer, Stoudamire was fantastic.

• GRADE: B"

I fuggin' hear ya, Sekou. I wish other Hawks fans would get on the same page. Maybe a new coach will realize what we have with Salim.

I agree with you Cap, he actually took the Hawks out of a lot of games this season that they should have won. He only does one thing well, and that is of course score, so you would expect him to put up higher percentages than he does.

He is a very streaky shooter, with an unorthodox delivery. Everyone in the NBA can be considered a streaky shooter, so what makes him special? People don't seem to remember the countless games he came into this year and absolutly shot us out of the game.

The Hawks need more three point threats, and he should have been used as a spot-up three point OPTION, to keep the defenses honest. For someone of his skill level to come in and take over the offense is just wrong. His inconsistent usage is one of the few things I do not blame Woody for.

Salim can hit the road for all I care.

Quote:

I agree with you Cap, he actually took the Hawks out of a lot of games this season that they should have won. He only does one thing well, and that is of course score, so you would expect him to put up higher percentages than he does.

He is a very streaky shooter, with an unorthodox delivery. Everyone in the NBA can be considered a streaky shooter, so what makes him special? People don't seem to remember the countless games he came into this year and absolutly shot us out of the game.

The Hawks need more three point threats, and he should have been used as a spot-up three point OPTION, to keep the defenses honest. For someone of his skill level to come in and take over the offense is just wrong. His inconsistent usage is one of the few things I do not blame Woody for.

Salim can hit the road for all I care.

I bet you are a huge Childress fan. I guess you prefer a guy who just stands around and does absolutely nothing to get himself or teammates involved in the offense and just waits for an opportunity to come to him from teammates' efforts. Salim is assertive and we need more of his offense, foolz.

• Premium Member

Quote:

People don't seem to remember the countless games he came into this year and absolutly shot us out of the game.

Well, I don't think he shot us OUT of games, but part of that was due to what he was asked to do. In case you didn't know, the Hawks were the lowest scoring team in the league last year. When JJ would sub out, we had noone to score. If Salim didn't jack up a shot, some1 else would have.

Not to mention all the injuries we had, and Woody's total lack of an offensive gameplan. It forces our players to create on their own, would you rather we give the ball to Zaza/Shelden/Marvin and let them create?

• Moderators

I think that Salim can be a valuable role player on a winning team as a gun off the bench. He needs to improve his shot selection to really excel in that role but his aggression is a good thing, IMO. He has already made some strides defensively so I hope he gets a more consistent role on the team next season.

What is with "foolz"? Yes I am a Childress fan, thank you for pointing that out. There are few people in the NBA that can find a way to score better, without having the ball in his hands or having a play called for them.

If you are comparing Chill's skill-set to Salim's, then you are just funny.

I think Salim is a role player who has not accepted that fact. If we didn't have JJ, I could see keeping him around and letting him play SG. As things stand, he is a back up and I don't think he relishes the role.

I do give some of the blame to Woodson though. I don't think he used his capabilities well enough.

Quote:

I think that Salim can be a valuable role player on a winning team as a gun off the bench. He needs to improve his shot selection to really excel in that role but his aggression is a good thing, IMO. He has already made some strides defensively so I hope he gets a more consistent role on the team next season.

I agree that Salim can be a valuable role player. Unfortunately, this year's Hawks team was pretty much the worst possible scenario for somebody with Salim's skill set. He would flourish on a team that likes to run (can you imagine Steve Nash finding him for open 3s on the fast break?) or for a half-court team that has other strong offensive weapons that demand double-teams and free him up for the open 3 kick-out. On the Hawks, he can rarely get open 3-point looks, which pretty much eliminates his effectiveness.

Quote:

What is with "foolz"? Yes I am a Childress fan, thank you for pointing that out. There are few people in the NBA that can find a way to score better, without having the ball in his hands or having a play called for them.

If you are comparing Chill's skill-set to Salim's, then you are just funny.

Yes, since you want to draw attention to it, I do think you sound like a fool on this topic. You are comparing Childress's scoring ability to Salim's? I am funny? Geez, man. You have lost it. I cannot argue with someone this unintelligent.

Childress does absolutely nothing to get himself open. He spots up and knocks down jumpers only when the defense in drawn away and when he has plenty of time to get off his inefficiently formed shot. You think that makes him the "best" at something? His other points come around the rim when JJ or someone else draws the D and dishes to him for an uncontested layup.

I do not dislike Childress, but I knew from reading your first post you just didn't get it, and whala, my initial instinct was correct.

the reason he jacks up shots is because when jj goes out we have no one who would take over.everyone has seen when jj goes out we cant score, it goes from us being up 12 to being down 5. so when salim gets a chance to play whenn jj is out he says ''we need to score''. he never shot us out of games beacuse he hardly played when jj was 100%. peolpe on here say when sheldon gets consistant minutes he is good....i bet salim is the same.

• Moderators

After last season we could have cut Salim as far as I was concerned and maybe that's still the impression people have.

But this year he came back with big improvements in his attitude, ball-handling and defense yet no one gave him much credit for that. Especially not Woodson. Some games he jacked up some shots he shouldn't have but that would not be such a big deal if he was getting regular minutes rather than 10 minutes in one game then DNP for two weeks.

Salim is quick and this team needs that. I'm not saying he's Nash but he has the quickness to cause Nash like problems for defenses and with guys like JJ, Smoove, Marvin, Solo in the game that's a lot of cutters to kick to when defense has collapsed.

Quote:

After last season we could have cut Salim as far as I was concerned and maybe that's still the impression people have.

But this year he came back with big improvements in his attitude, ball-handling and defense yet no one gave him much credit for that. Especially not Woodson. Some games he jacked up some shots he shouldn't have but that would not be such a big deal if he was getting regular minutes rather than 10 minutes in one game then DNP for two weeks.

Salim is quick and this team needs that. I'm not saying he's Nash but he has the quickness to cause Nash like problems for defenses and with guys like JJ, Smoove, Marvin, Solo in the game that's a lot of cutters to kick to when defense has collapsed.

Salim is not a finished product. The good news is he brought back this past season (as you mention) improvement. It stands to believe next year shall be more in improvement. He definitely improved his defense and such. His challenge this summer is to focus on ball-handling and passing. He is so close to being "Tyronn Lue with defense" and better court presence. As competative is he is, he will continue to improve. guitarist.gif

Where do you guys get this stuff? Lue with defense? His defense is no better than Lue's. Turning into some sort of poor man's Nash? I mean, seriously? Besides the fact that Nash is one of the greatest pure PGs in the history of the game and Salim isn't a PG in any sense of the word, I agree with you.

I think Stoudamire will be a good role player on the right team, but these comparisons are ridiculous.