• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

NBAdraft. net has us taking Joakim Noah at #11....

bumpyphish1

"McRoberts is only mentioned as 1st round candidate b/c he was on natioanl TV every week playing for Duke. How can you say with a straight face McRoberts is worthy of a lottery pick. "

The same for noah. How is he a lottery pick. And I know mcroberts isnt a lottery pick but I was trying to say how noah hasnt been knocked off the same way he has. Just because he is full of energy means nothing to me. You can find plenty of those guys. Noah has basically no skill besides maybe passing and some dribbling. He has no jumpshot at anywhere on the court besides around the basket. Noah should not be a lottery pick. WAYYYYY overhyped.

Quote:

Noah should not be a lottery pick. WAYYYYY overhyped.

Not suggesting that some of your criticisms aren't accurate, but come on:

First and foremost, pre-NBA hype often holds a direct correlation to height. Elite talent is the hardest to unearth at the C position, followed by the PF position. Don't misread that statement, Noah clearly isn't an elite talent. Noah is 6'11, however. He played on a team that won back-to-back NCAA championships, not despite his presence either. Were he to increase his strength significantly he could be an excellent post presence who could rebound, still run the floor, and dish or finish with the best of em (PF/Cs). I'm not decided on whether or not he will ever impact the game defensively, but with his length and quickness there remains untapped potential in that regard too. The physical tools are there, and enthusiasm and hustle don't exactly hurt his chances of developing.

To suggest that Noah isn't a lottery prospect is downright foolish.

Quote:

He's a fantastic passer. I saw one website that compared his NBA upside to that of Toni Kucoc. Now I would say that might be kind of a stretch...but passing-wise, I could definitely see it.

Please tell me that website. Whoever thinks that must be ridiculed.

Toni Kukoc is one of the greatest basketball players ever. Most of his great passes were because he could actually do something with the ball. Like shoot it! I really don't have any idea what you're talking about. Aesthetically or otherwise. Their games are nothing alike. I'm not trying to argue, I just don't get it.

Yeah. I love it. Let's get Noah and let him play center ... well no. How about PF ... not strong enough. How about SF ... good, we have a real need there. Noah blew it he should have come out last year - - now he just reminds me of that Shenjaiya guy from American Idol. I wonder if he could play point?

"Were he to increase his strength significantly he could be an excellent post presence who could rebound, still run the floor, and dish or finish with the best of em (PF/Cs).

The same can be said with all centers. If this was the case we wouldnt need greg oden instead hold on to zaza and wait for him to get strong.

I don't think Noah is a bad prospect. He can definitely play some center, especially as he bulks up over the next few years. Skinny guys like Camby, Tyson Chandler and Mikki Moore all had a certain amount of success this past season.

Noah's real value is that he is a good passer, good athlete and has good court awareness. He may not be a superstar but he will be a solid player.

Now, that being said, the Hawks desperate need for a point guard would likely lead me to pick one if available (though I am not entirely sold on Law being a point guard - I see him more as a Barbosa/Devin Harris/Delonte West shooting guard in point guard body).

• Moderators

Quote:

Of course he'd take Noah over both Law and Conley. In BK's mind we have 3 solid pgs in Speedy, Lue and AJ. Which, when totally healthy and playing to max potential, isn't totally untrue. If we don't have a #4 pick Noah may end up being the most practical choice...which is fu*ked for us.

I agree with your conclusion but with 3 aging PGs, two of whom have had serious injury issues of late and none of whom is a true playmaker, how does taking Noah over Law and Conley amount to a practical choice?

Quote:

how does taking Noah over Law and Conley amount to a practical choice?

It is only practical if BK stays true to form and does not under any circumstances draft a PG in the 1st round. Also, Noah is a forward not a center. Noah will probably be BK's choice for that reason as well.

BK is far from practical; but he is predictable.

Everybody being so down on Noah simply cracks me up. Last year, he was arguably the best player in the draft according to many on this board and now he can't even play in the NBA? CRAZY! The funny thing is that I was one of the folks last year who thought he was being overrated a little. I think he is a lottery pick talent in this draft and if he is there at #11, I would consider him strongly. He can do everything now that he could do a year ago.

As for Conley, I liked what I saw from him but I would want to see what he does in his workouts too. He definitely has question marks. How will he defend at the NBA level? Can he create his own shot? Can he make open Js? I THINK he can but he is no sure thing like PAUL or Williams. I'm not even SURE he will be as good as Felton.

Bottom line, I don't think either of them are a "sure thing" but both COULD be impact players and I would consider them both at #11.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Everybody being so down on Noah simply cracks me up. Last year, he was arguably the best player in the draft according to many on this board and now he can't even play in the NBA? CRAZY!

It's a simple matter, Noah was exposed. The same thing would have happened to Marvin had he returned for his sophomore campaign. That's why if you're smart, you take advantage of hype when you have it.