• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Does someone need to go?

OGRat

The Hawks is not a very balanced team, and the best players do not seem to play their best together. We have seen for three years now that our young players are able to compete when given the reins, but they don't seem to show the same effectiveness when the team is completely healthy.

I place a lot of the blame for this on Woodson's play calling, but some of it is attributable to the fact that there is only one ball and only so many touches and not every player can be effective as role player.

It seems that we are building around JJ and Smoove. While Marvin is still developing, he only seems to play his best when JJ is not on the court. The same might be said for Lue. Does holding onto these players limit the team? Maybe/maybe not, but we could do better.

I would like to see us start out next season with a complete team (playoff ready), and I don't think we can do it with just the draft. Some wheeling and dealing is required. So, if we are building around JJ and Smoove, is there anyone else who is untouchable? If so, why? stirthepot.gif

Quote:

The Hawks is not a very balanced team, and the best players do not seem to play their best together. We have seen for three years now that our young players are able to compete when given the reins, but they don't seem to show the same effectiveness when the team is completely healthy.

I place a lot of the blame for this on Woodson's play calling, but some of it is attributable to the fact that there is only one ball and only so many touches and not every player can be effective as role player.

It seems that we are building around JJ and Smoove. While Marvin is still developing, he only seems to play his best when JJ is not on the court. The same might be said for Lue. Does holding onto these players limit the team? Maybe/maybe not, but we could do better.

I would like to see us start out next season with a complete team (playoff ready), and I don't think we can do it with just the draft. Some wheeling and dealing is required. So, if we are building around JJ and Smoove, is there anyone else who is untouchable? If so, why?
stirthepot.gif

I agree that some wheeling and dealing needs to be done. If I were in charge I would look to package the 11th pick (assuming the Hawks indeed get that pick) with someone currently on the roster to obtain a young point guard with experience and upside. This is particularly true if Conley is off the board.

For center I would dump Lo Wright and look to sign a veteran who can play 18-25 minutes of hard nosed defense a night.

• Premium Member

We have too many PGs/OGs..

Speedy, AJ, Lue, Ivey, Salim, and Chillz are all PG/OGs...

I suspect that Ivey is automatically gone, but half of our roster is still here.

Lue and AJ have very good trade value because they are in the last year of their deal and they are solid vet BUs...

I would keep an eye on LAC.

Right now, they are not in the right position for a PG through the draft.

I'm wondering what they would give us for one of our BUs...

Could Lue or Speedy get us a conditional first?

Quote:

We have too many PGs/OGs..

Speedy, AJ, Lue, Ivey, Salim, and Chillz are all PG/OGs...

I suspect that Ivey is automatically gone, but half of our roster is still here.

Lue and AJ have very good trade value because they are in the last year of their deal and they are solid vet BUs...

I would keep an eye on LAC.

Right now, they are not in the right position for a PG through the draft.

I'm wondering what they would give us for one of our BUs...

Could Lue or Speedy get us a conditional first?

Without a doubt we need to deal. We have to deal. The players have said, changes are coming. I got that from JJ, Josh and Speedy. As much as I'd love to just drop some players, there is a cap penalty in doing it. So we have to deal. The draft certainly dictates how we do it. Regardless of the draft only one from the group of Salim, AJ, Lue can be on the roster. Speedy is assured a spot because no one will take his price and injury history.

I really like the idea of acquiring Chris Wilcox. A move of Marvin and AJ or Lue to Seattle including Ridnour is worth looking into. Salim can be a better Lue and highly marketable at the trade deadline.

Marvin with Salim for Portlands 1st plus Sergio may be possible. If Indy wants to move JO, Marvin and Shelden might be interesting for them. hyper.gif

Pretty low on Marvin arn't you. I thought he had good year for a 20 year old. To trade him for Ridnour (26) we get ripped off. I think Chills (24) has reached his potential. I'd keep Marvin and offer Chills for Ridnour.

Then package Lue, Salim and Wright (expiring contracts) to a team looking for cap relief. There are alwayse teams looking for cap relief. Maybe even a protected 1st if someone is still high on Salim. I see possibly Dallas or Phoneix having interest in Salim and their Picks will be like #28. Both Dallas and Phoneix have PGs with injury problems (Nash & Harris) and Terry and Barbosa are better at SG. They could use Lue as a back up and Salim fits their run and chunk style. Lo is good for Hack a Shaq. Probably can't get a 1st but you never know. I know Phoneix is tax conscious and even Cuban is geting tighter with his money.

The Lakers may also like Lue and Salim. Salim is the type of shooter Phil Jackson likes. He could play the Steve Kerr / Craig Hodges role in the triangle offense. Maybe Salim, Lue, Wright for Kwame Brown / filler

Quote:

speedy should be traded first before anyone along with wright. I still give these guys another year of being healthy and hopefully a new coach.

He should be traded 1st but no body trades for an injured player.

Got tothink realistically rather the ideally. This is not a perfect world where teams try to help the Hawks by giving trade offers for our injured players.

there is no way we could get a first round pick for lue. i like him okay, and i think plenty of other teams like him, and would like to have him, but not for a first. i wish it could happen, but i'm not holding my breathe. he's just a career b.u. and has reached the pinnacle of his career. there's no possible "potential" hidden anywhere in him. i think most teams hope to get someone who may be capable of starting in the first round, and lue won't ever be that (except for sometimes with the hawks). we might get lucky and get a second round pick for him (like we traded away for a.j.)

Quote:

Pretty low on Marvin arn't you. I thought he had good year for a 20 year old. To trade him for Ridnour (26) we get ripped off. I think Chills (24) has reached his potential. I'd keep Marvin and offer Chills for Ridnour.

I agree with this; but trading Chillz for Ridnour would kill BK's ego. Seems like if BK wanted to move Chillz, he would have gave him a better chance at showcasing his game. Like he did with Harrington last season.