• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Telfair cut..should we sign him?

DeacKillsaDevil

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

By the way how did that trade to Denver work out?

It worked very well for Philly, probably too well since they won too many games giving them poor lottery position.

I don't think Denver has any regrets either.

The big difference between Denver now and this time last year is a healthy Nene. He did a number on Duncan in game 1.

Karl realized quickly that Iverson couldn't play the point and that is why they brought in Blake. Yet people insist on harboring the delusion that Iverson could play the point here. In fact one of Iverson's main gripes with Cheeks this season is that they were using Iggy at the point on offense.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

That is the same garbage that you all were spitting out re: bringing AI here. By the way how did that trade to Denver work out?

Hard to compare the Telfair situation to AI's situation when AI's been putting up HOF numbers his entire career, and Telfair can barely stay in lottery teams' rotations.

• Premium Member

Quote:

It worked very well for Philly, probably too well since they won too many games giving them poor lottery position.

Sigh.. don't make me bring out the "quote" again..

• Premium Member

Quote:

The big difference between Denver now and this time last year is a healthy Nene. He did a number on Duncan in game 1.

While it's true Nene played well on Duncan, it's sad that you give ZERO credit to Iverson for Denver's improvement thus far. A "healthy" Nene is not the MAIN reason for their improvement. Surely it helps, but having some1 else to take pressure off Melo is HUGE as well. In case you didn't know, it becomes increasingly difficult to distribute the ball against great teams (like the Spurs). Iverson made some GREAT and very crucial plays in Game 1.

Quote:

Karl realized quickly that Iverson couldn't play the point and that is why they brought in Blake.

Actually they brought in Blake because they had no backup PG. Miller and Boykins are both gone, they needed someone else. I'll give you that Iverson shouldn't be a full time PG, but he definitely played it a lot, including game 1. I know you are going to say that Blake played 36 minutes, and he did, but Iverson still brought the ball up the court just as much, if not more.

Quote:

...Hard to compare the Telfair situation to AI's situation when AI's been putting up HOF numbers his entire career, and Telfair can barely stay in lottery teams' rotations.

Telfair was treated crappily by the Celtics in my opinion though. They made a big issue of "taking his name off his locker"...basically saying that they feel the guy is worthless.

If Boston wins the Oden/Durant sweepstakes they ought to give Telfair a new car or something...he almost single-handedly kept them tanking there at the end of the season. munching_out.gif

• Premium Member

Quote:

If I am BK I am on the plane to Boston already. You can get him essentially for nothing. Let the Celtics pay his salary.

let me get this straight, you wanna sign a guy that is going to get kicked out of the league????

He's a punk and we don't need him!

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

...Hard to compare the Telfair situation to AI's situation when AI's been putting up HOF numbers his entire career, and Telfair can barely stay in lottery teams' rotations.

Telfair was treated crappily by the Celtics in my opinion though. They made a big issue of "taking his name off his locker"...basically saying that they feel the guy is worthless.

I think the message was slightly different - that he wasn't worthy of being a Boston Celtic.

I have never been a Telfair fan but would take a look at him for a minimum deal. I just don't think he is very good at this point in his career since he isn't a great playmaker and can't shoot. He is a poor man's Speedy Claxton right now.

Quote:

While it's true Nene played well on Duncan, it's sad that you give ZERO credit to Iverson for Denver's improvement thus far.

First of all i don't see where you get the idea that they have improved. They played well in April when a lot of teams have packed it in or are resting their starters.

Quote:

Actually they brought in Blake because they had
no backup PG

Blake has started 40 games in Denver after starting only twice for the powerhouse Bucks, who traded away THEIR starting pg last year.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

...He is a poor man's Speedy Claxton right now.

Wow...that's cold AHF bigeyes2.gif

Like you said, when the Celtics wanted to lose games all they had to do was pull Rondo and insert Telfair.

Quote:

he almost single-handedly kept them tanking there at the end of the season

• Premium Member

Quote:

First of all i don't see where you get the idea that they have improved. They played well in April when a lot of teams have packed it in or are resting their starters.

All I'm saying is it's obvious that you are going to credit Nene with any success Denver has..

Quote:

Blake has started 40 games in Denver after starting only twice for the powerhouse Bucks, who traded away THEIR starting pg last year.

Exactly what is the relevance of this? They needed another PG, PERIOD! Iverson shouldn't be a full time PG anyway (although he can handle it for a while), but who's going to play it when he's not in, or when he's playing SG because some1 else subbed out? Regardless of what happened, they were going to need another PG.

Quote:

Exactly what is the relevance of this?

You do realize that there is a difference between starting and being a backup, right?

You said they got Blake to be a backup yet he has started 40 games, including Game 1. Hence they got him to be the starting pg.

• Premium Member

Doesn't matter, they still needed another PG. The fact that he's starting is simply, irrelevant because Iverson still brings the ball up just as much, and averages more assists.. Are you saying they didn't need another PG? And it actually works in their favor because JR Smith does nothing but shoot. He can't rebound, can't pass, and CAN'T play defense.

Smith is easily their best 3 pt shooter, has legit 2 guard size and is very athletic. Yeah, it makes sense to have him pinned to the bench.

Having a undersized backcourt doesn't help their defense either.

Quote:

The fact that he's starting is simply, irrelevant because Iverson still brings the ball up just as much, and averages more assists..

Iverson averages .6 more assists than Blake in 9 more minutes per game. BFD. He also averages twice as many turnovers.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Smith is easily their best 3 pt shooter, has legit 2 guard size and is very athletic. Yeah, it makes sense to have him pinned to the bench.

Size nor athleticism mean nothing if you can't play defense, rebound or pass the ball. The guy averages a COMBINED 3.5 rebounds/assists.

Quote:

Iverson averages .6 more assists than Blake in 9 more minutes per game. BFD. He also averages twice as many turnovers.

You still haven't answered my question. Are you saying they didn't need another PG? Even IF Iverson was a LEGIT full time PG, they'd still need another PG.

Quote:

Quote:

Even IF Iverson was a LEGIT full time PG, they'd still need another PG.

That is true. However you said he was brought in to be a backup. If that was the case then the starting backcourt would be iverson/Smith.

I don't remember anyone saying that Denver needed a pg when they had Miller/Boykins.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I don't remember anyone saying that Denver needed a pg when they had Miller/Boykins.

You just proved my point, that's because they had 2 pg's. Once they traded for Iverson, they had 1/2 of a pg.

Quote:

Quote:

You just proved my point, that's because they had 2 pg's. Once they traded for Iverson, they had 1/2 of a pg .

Now lets break this down

Pre-trade

Miller = 1 pg

Boykins = 1 pg

1 + 1 = 2

Post trade

Iverson = 1/2 pg

Boykins = 1 pg

1 + 1/2 = ?