• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

What makes Conley better than a healthy Speedy ?

Swatguy

• Moderators

Quote:

Conley actually exists.

Plus, Speedy has never shown the ability to really run a system or distribute the ball (i.e., be a playmaker in an offense). Conley effectively ran two systems at Ohio State this year with Oden on and off the court.

I think AHF is right on this. Conley is a true PG. He manages the game, he controls the tempo, he sees the floor, he runs the offense, he creates opportunities for his teammates, he does all the things you want a PG to do.

Claxton isn't the ideal PG, but he's a dangerous weapon if you have a guy like JJ who can handle playmaking duties. The only thing that seems similar between the two is that they can both drive, they're both quick, and they're both relatively undersized.

Hollinger's scouting report on Speedy is below. He's a good piece, he's not a franchise PG:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/players/hol...er?statsId=3419

2005-06 season: Claxton was one of the game's top sixth men in 2005-06, playing 28.4 minutes a game off the bench for a resurgent Hornets team and energizing their weak offense with his shot-creating talents. Claxton had never played more than 67 games in his five pro seasons, but managed to stay healthy for 71 in his first full season as a Hornet.

Though he stands only 5-11, Claxton spent much of his time playing shooting guard with Chris Paul running the point. That explains why his Assist Ratio was so low, although it's never been a strength of Claxton -- he looks mostly to shoot rather than pass.

His attack was based more on volume than on efficiency. Claxton ranked 15th among point guards in Usage Rate, but his ts% and turnover ratio were both below the norm. He shot only 41.3 percent from the field, and from long-range it's hard to know which stat is worse: the fact that he shot 27 percent on 3-pointers, or the fact that it crushed his previous career-best.

Scouting report: Despite his lack of size, Claxton is a good defender. The Hornets were 2.8 points better per 100 possessions when he played, even though he was often greatly outsized at shooting guard. While that creates some problems size-wise, he is great at chasing off guards through screens and really moves his feet. He's also a decent rebounder in spite of his stature.

Offensively, Claxton is short, can't shoot and doesn't see the floor well, which you'd think would be a recipe for disaster. But his quickness allows him to penetrate virtually at will, and he's pretty effective at finishing shots in the paint or at least drawing contact for a foul. He's also a good open-court player.

Quote:

Quote:

This, coming from the guy who thinks we should draft Crittenton. Does "clueless" mean anything to you?

If Crittenton declares he might be the only pg available at 11.

I think Seatle isn't happy with the Ridnour/Watson combo and there is a good chance they will pick Conley. Sactown might lose Bibby so there is a chance they could go for Law at 10.

I am surprised at your response. Without having played a single NBA game, I think most of us would agree Conley will be a pass first point guard with great defensive skills and leadership skills. Craig Claxton is Mookie without Mookie's physical toughness, mental toughness and drive. Waiting on Craig to get "healthy" is not a realistic option.

• Premium Member

Actually I think it's a good comparison. Conley is VERY similar to a fully healthy Speedy, except Conley will be a better passer. Both can't shoot and both play good D. Both are short, skinny, and quick..

Quote:

Actually I think it's a good comparison. Conley is VERY similar to a fully healthy Speedy, except Conley will be a better passer. Both can't shoot and both play good D. Both are short, skinny, and quick..

Ditto, except Speedy's defense is there. Conley, I know he aint there.

Quote:

I think AHF is right on this. Conley is a true PG. He manages the game, he controls the tempo, he sees the floor, he runs the offense, he creates opportunities for his teammates, he does all the things you want a PG to do.

Claxton isn't the ideal PG, but he's a dangerous weapon if you have a guy like JJ who can handle playmaking duties. The only thing that seems similar between the two is that they can both drive, they're both quick, and they're both relatively undersized.

Hollinger's scouting report on Speedy is below. He's a good piece, he's not a franchise PG:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/players/hol...er?statsId=3419

2005-06 season: Claxton was one of the game's top sixth men in 2005-06, playing 28.4 minutes a game off the bench for a resurgent Hornets team and energizing their weak offense with his shot-creating talents. Claxton had never played more than 67 games in his five pro seasons, but managed to stay healthy for 71 in his first full season as a Hornet.

Though he stands only 5-11, Claxton spent much of his time playing shooting guard with Chris Paul running the point. That explains why his Assist Ratio was so low, although it's never been a strength of Claxton -- he looks mostly to shoot rather than pass.

His attack was based more on volume than on efficiency. Claxton ranked 15th among point guards in Usage Rate, but his ts% and turnover ratio were both below the norm. He shot only 41.3 percent from the field, and from long-range it's hard to know which stat is worse: the fact that he shot 27 percent on 3-pointers, or the fact that it crushed his previous career-best.

Scouting report: Despite his lack of size, Claxton is a good defender. The Hornets were 2.8 points better per 100 possessions when he played, even though he was often greatly outsized at shooting guard. While that creates some problems size-wise, he is great at chasing off guards through screens and really moves his feet. He's also a decent rebounder in spite of his stature.

Offensively, Claxton is short, can't shoot and doesn't see the floor well, which you'd think would be a recipe for disaster. But his quickness allows him to penetrate virtually at will, and he's pretty effective at finishing shots in the paint or at least drawing contact for a foul. He's also a good open-court player.

I agree with you guys.

But this...

Quote:

Claxton is short, can't shoot and doesn't see the floor well

... is really dumb when you follow with this...

Quote:

He's also a good open-court player.

Whaa?? How can you be a good open court player if you can't see the floor well? Retarded. Speedy is not "good" at anything. I really don't understand why he is in the league.

There is no debate at all as to who would be better off for the Hawks, say 3 years from now. Conley by a landslide.

Quote:

Quote:

This, coming from the guy who thinks we should draft Crittenton. Does "clueless" mean anything to you?

I lend no conclusion for the question. Some kinda get it. I don't expect you to.

I understand. stirthepot.gif

I guess his point is that in the open court he can take advantage of his speed and quickness, while in the half court his lack of "vision" keeps him from being a good distributing PG.

I'm not anti-Speedy, in all honesty. I think when/if he's healthy he brings a valuable dimension to the position. But we all know he's not the answer long term, and neither are AJ, Lue or Ivey. Ivey's most likely waived, but any of the vets could be outstanding backups for us if we can land a franchise guy, and while the franchise guy develops any of them will be great platoon guys at the position.

We just have to get someone who we know will be a part of the future with our young team.