• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Crittenton in draft

CBAreject

Quote:

Talent essentially means natural ability.

- he's 6'5

- just as good a ball handler.

- just as good a defender

- MUCH better shooter and FT shooter

- just as good a passer

- More clutch

- better rebounder

Conley turns it over less and is quicker, but that's really it. Crittenton is already the better scorer, as good a passer, and has SO much more potential (although I hate that word)..

Quote:

If it's such a fact, then why do you think so many posters, analysts and scouts don't see it that way?

Most people didn't think he was coming out this year. But after workouts, we shall see where he stands. Regardless, I still feel he's a better prospect than Conley..

I dispute a number of these claims. I don't believe he is as good a ballhandler, defender, or passer as Conley. I don't believe he's more clutch than Conley. He is a better shooter, but he's not a good shooter (Conley's just a poor one). Better rebounder and height I'll give you. In addition, Conley has a fantastic mid-range game, and Conley has IMO better intangibles which are important for a PG.

While I've never known any PGs who couldn't shoot when coming into the League develop into good shooters, some like Jason Kidd have at least developed passable outside games. And while shooting is indeed an important skill, guys like Kidd (when he first came into the League) and Martin have shown that you can be an All-Star without being a good shooter.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Quote:

conely is better than crittenton rite now.... i dont see crittenton going in the top 10 and imo i think he should stay in school for atleast one more year.

I agree. I saw NOTHING from Javaris this year. NOTHING.

That's not a bad thing, he was just a freshman on a mediocre team. He would have been (and could still be) just fine if he returned to GT. But as a NBA PG, ummm....

...no thanks.

• Premium Member

Quote:

That's funny considering Javaris averaged 3 more ppg than Conley, and essentially the same number of assists. I saw him take OVER games in the clutch last year..

• Premium Member

No one would deny that Javaris is the better scorer, but IMO he's not a PG. He's a SG with good handles until he shows otherwise.

His 3.9 turnovers/game was 17th worst in Division I last year, and his team underachieved.

As far as clutch, you're going to have a hard time proving he was more clutch than Conley and Law.

Quote:

Quote:

conely is better than crittenton rite now.... i dont see crittenton going in the top 10 and imo i think he should stay in school for atleast one more year.

That's not a bad thing, he was just a freshman on a mediocre team. He would have been (and could still be) just fine if he returned to GT. But as a NBA PG, ummm....

...no thanks.

You saw NOTHING? hmmm...do you get bball on TV up there? scratchchin.gif

I would argue that Crittenton is not the better scorer. He scored more points. There's a difference. Conley played on a better team with more offensive options and thus took less shots. When required to, Conley showed he was capable of scoring at a very high level.

• Premium Member

Quote:

He seems to be the most polarizing of the 3 so it is a lock the Hawks will take him.

Honestly, I will be ECSTATIC to get ANY one of the three PG's. BK selecting a PG alone calls for a celebration. I'd like Law/Crittenton but, I'd be just as happy with Conley.

Quote:

Quote:

You saw NOTHING? hmmm...do you get bball on TV up there?
scratchchin.gif

You're right. I did see him score.

But, as far as PG instincts...nada.

Read Draftexpress' opinion on his last game vs. UNLV. Not good.

I have to challenge your assessment. Before Tech, Javaris led 5 teams to championship games in 5 straight years. Three years his team won. You can't do that in Atlanta without "PG Instincts". He led Tech as a Freshman with not the greatest talent but good. The guy was several including McDonalds All-American as PG. And you say "But, as far as PG instincts...nada." Rubbish. He is one of the best passers I've Seen. Has Handles in traffic. Obviously you have not seen him closely.

BK would almost certainly pick Crittenden. We have to think about the style that the hawks want to play. They want long players so that you can switch everything defensively like the Pistons do. You can also take advantage of mismatches on the offensive end. Unlike say Roy or Foye last year, Critt is a true point who has played that position his entire life. Since Speedy is under contract, he will start and Critt could back him up for a year until we can move Speedy. He could be to us what Devin Harris is to Dallas.

Quote:

BK would almost certainly pick Crittenden. We have to think about the style that the hawks want to play. They want long players so that you can switch everything defensively like the Pistons do. You can also take advantage of mismatches on the offensive end. Unlike say Roy or Foye last year, Critt is a true point who has played that position his entire life. Since Speedy is under contract, he will start and Critt could back him up for a year until we can move Speedy. He could be to us what Devin Harris is to Dallas.

Wow if we can get #2 and #11. Draft Durant and Javaris, trade Marvin and Lue for Wilcox. Sign Jarvis Hayes. We would be set.

Speedy/Javaris/AJ

JJ/Childress/Salim

Durant/Jarvis

Josh/Shelden/Zaza

Wilcox/Solomon

thumb3d.gif

Quote:

I can't imagine BK passing on those 3 to take an average big.

The odds makers say he will pass on a PG. Bet on it...Now if we get lucky and have the 1-3 pick plus the 11th, maybe BK's hand will be forced then. But if all we end up with is Indy's pick; I bet we take a big (6'9" or taller).

Guest Walter

Quote:

Interesting. I would take him at #3 or #11. I expect him to go in the 6-8 range.

First, nobody should ever question CBArejects "scouting" credentials as he wanted Roy and Milsap with our two picks last year.

We are not in the position to make safe picks. After 3 consecutive lottery failures (they may not be "busts" because each were selected so high and have to have some ability, but they were the absolute worst of the 3 remotely considered and that my friends is FAILURE), either being limited players, lesser talents at filled positions over more important positions of need, or simply role players relative to their draft counterparts, we must swing for the fences with this pick. We cannot want singles or even doubles. We need a triple to score our slow ass team stuck on 1st or a homerun to ensure we begin to put this rebuild on course.

Players outside the top 5 that currently provide this deemed upside or simply be good enough at 11: Crittenton, Conley, Thabeet, Brewer (with a trade made of one of our forwards). Possibilities? Hibbert and Noah. Distant possibilities based upon positional needs IMO Law.

I believe Crittenton can be something exceptional at the NBA Pg position. We're not talking college Pg, I'm talking NBA Pg. Crittenton will take a few years and there is risk with him as there is with Conley (exploding on the sceen), Thabeet (raw), and Brewer (whom we don't "need"), but we are not in a position to draft safe. Safe gets us 36 wins, 38 wins, and 40 wins in the coming years. A properly takent risk that works out gets us 35, 41, 47 wins. Not a title contender, but a rebuild that doesn't suck the oxygen out of itself.

W

Quote:

Quote:

The odds makers say he will pass on a PG. Bet on it...

Where can I take this bet?...

I think the addition of a long (6'5") local PG in Crit changes that equasion. Most say he's not yet quite ready but the Hawks can groom him within our current stable of PGs, so there's no need for a big immediate impact. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see BK take Crit at the 11-spot and use him initially as a 1/2 combo backup.

It actually makes pretty good sense to me, especially if the more nba ready bigs are already gone.

Quote:

Honestly, I will be ECSTATIC to get ANY one of the three PG's. BK selecting a PG alone calls for a celebration. I'd like Law/Crittenton but, I'd be just as happy with Conley.

I think this is the most important thing we should all keep in mind. We may differ on which of the three is best, but we should all agree that this draft gives us an incredible opportunity to get a franchise PG. It's a 3 horse race, and honestly they're close enough that none of us should feel the need to tear apart any of them unfairly (and inaccurately) to make arguments for the guy we want more. Let's not resort to hyperbole with this discussion, let's try and keep the pro and con discussion on a respectable level.

Personally, I like Conley the best, probably put Crit second, and Law 3rd. I just haven't seen enough of Law and my perception of him as a combo guard doesn't excite me as much as my perception of the other guys as true PGs (I think Crit is a true PG).

But I'm not gonna start bashing Law, calling him a slow Salim Stoudamire, or claiming he's a loser or something. These guys are the creme of the crop, we should be able to discuss them without getting ridiculous and imaginative with our negativity on the guys we don't prefer.

I just hope that Hawksquawk as a whole can discuss the pros and cons of these players without resorting to

Quote:

I hope your kidding, I HATE Georgia Tech. I've seen more games from Conley AND Law than I have of Crittenton. It's quite simply FACT that Crittenton has more talent and natural ability. I'm really about stuck between Law/Crittenton though.

PG is not played based on atheletic ability it is played with your mind. Not turning the ball over is the #1 responsibilty of a PG...not how tall, how old, how fast, it is running a team, somthing Crittendon cannot do is run a team effectively right now.

Conley can run a team and Law is ready to play right now. Crittendon would be riding the pine all year b/c he makes poor decisions. He would look like a fool at the NBA level right now. I am so tired of atheletic potential used with PGs when the the player with athletic potential just doesn't get it mentally.

Quote:

It actually makes pretty good sense to me, especially if the more nba ready bigs are already gone.

Exactly at the end of the day, you can get a starting PG at 11, you can't get a starting center. Even if center is your more pressing need, you draft the potential starter when you get a chance.

I know a lot of people hate BK and the fact is he has screwed up a lot and comes across really bad. But he's not a moron. Unless we miraculously get a top 3 pick or a big unexpectedly slips to our Indy pick, we will be drafting one of Law-Conley-Crittenton.