• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Crittenton in draft

CBAreject

• Premium Member

Quote:

More than he could bite off for a pg in the ACC.

That's not a knock on Javaris. There's nothing wrong with expecting a freshman PG to struggle.

I think Crittenton will develop into a star-caliber player, I just don't see it yet. He needs more time to develop, and I don't think the Hawks are in PG development mode...

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Quote:

More than he could bite off for a pg in the ACC.

That's not a knock on Javaris. There's nothing wrong with expecting a freshman PG to struggle.

I think Crittenton will develop into a star-caliber player, I just don't see it yet. He needs more time to develop, and I don't think the Hawks are in PG development mode...

They are in development mode with Smith and Marvin but they wouldn't be willing to develop a pg in a similar manner?

confused.gif

Quote:

First, nobody should ever question CBArejects "scouting" credentials as he wanted Roy and Milsap with our two picks last year.

Appreciate the vote of confidence Walt. Perhaps I got lucky...but then again, I wanted Iguodala instead of Childress. The only picks BK has made that I endorsed before the draft were Salim Stoudamire and Josh Smith. At any rate, early returns indicate I am dead wrong about projecting Crit to go 8th. We'll see if he moves up in workouts.

I'm not as sure about this one as I was about Roy and Millsap. I would've bet a hefty chunk on those two. JC is more of a risk. Not sure he'll be better than Conley, but if one of the two players is going to be a franchise PG, it will be Crit. Conley is probably a safer pick. I would be happy if we selected him. I think he'll be solid, but as you say, we need this pick to be more than solid.

Another problem is that Crittenton will take some time to reach this lofty potential, just like Smoove. It will probably be his third year before people are universally happy with the pick.

• Premium Member

Quote:

They are in development mode with Smith and Marvin but they wouldn't be willing to develop a pg in a similar manner?

Come on, ex. You know there's a whole lot more involved in developing Crittenton at PG vs. what's left to develop in Marvin and Josh.

Quote:

Quote:

Come on, ex. You know there's a whole lot more involved in developing Crittenton at PG vs. what's left to develop in Marvin and Josh.

Please. Smith is still a turnover machine. He has a very shaky shot and a marginal post game. I think he shot under 70% from the line too.

Marvin also turns it over too much. His strength is his jump shot and even that is very erratic. he gets his shot blocked inside probably more than any 3 in the league. And he is weak.

They are both AT LEAST a couple of years away from being playoff ready.

Ctit is certainly the least ready of the 3 pg prospect. But with his size and talent i won't complain if the Hawks pick him.

• Premium Member

Quote:

i won't complain if the Hawks pick him.

While I believe you, 95% of the fans on this site will complain if the Hawks don't make the playoffs next year. Drafting Javaris over a more ready player will all but assure the complaining.

Plus, if Smith and Marvin are 2 years away from being playoff ready, that makes Crittenton 4-5 years away.

Quote:

Quote:

i won't complain if the Hawks pick him.

While I believe you, 95% of the fans on this site will complain if the Hawks don't make the playoffs next year. Drafting Javaris over a more ready player will all but assure the complaining.

Plus, if Smith and Marvin are 2 years away from being playoff ready, that makes Crittenton 4-5 years away.

The goal has to be to win a title, not to just make the playoffs. And the Hawks aren't going to win a title in the next two years even if the land the first pick and get Oden, then land Conley at 11.

The Hawks tried to bring in a veteran pg who could contribute right away and we saw how that worked out. They are doubtful to go that route again.

It is going to take time for the hawks to become contenders regardless of who they draft, so your argument that we need to draft a pg who can contribute right away doesn't make sense.

As far as I am concerned they can put the names of the 3 pgs in a hat and pick one.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The goal has to be to win a title, not to just make the playoffs.

I don't agree with this. Both Knight and Woodson HAVE TO WIN soon, or they're out the door. (And guess which two men will be major players in deciding who the Hawks draft...Woodson and Knight).

The owners don't expect them to win the championship, however. They do expect them to make the playoffs. Woodson himself said that 07-08 was the year the Hawks will make the playoffs.

Quote:

Quote:

The blue is in protest of some of the crybaby fans on this board. I might change back to black sometime next week.

Northcyde, Lascar, KB...having been 100% wrong up until this point nobody should take any of your predictions seriously, but at least we don't have to wade through yours anymore. The blue highlights can't touch up a .000 batting percentage on the state of the Hawks and the competence of it's "leaders".

We'll be better next year, but we'll still be flawed without considerable luck. We'll be flawed and still a solid lottery team. In 3 years just before JJ's deal is up and I-F we manage to retain JS and MW or JC we'll be a 38-42 win team. It becomes increasingly harder to improve in terms of wins and loses and considering how difficult it already is for us, we shouldn't fool ourselves into expecting more no matter what color we write in.

W

Ignorance . . is proposing that the Hawks trade down in last year's draft, just to pick up Sene, so he could be our center "project". That's true ignorance.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Drafting Javaris over a more ready player will all but assure the complaining.

So you're an Acie Law fan? Law is the only one who is ready. Conley isn't any more ready than JC is at this point. But I'm split on Law/JC, I'd like Law just as much.

Plus I actually think Crittenton will be better in the pros, he's 6'5 and built, already has good handles and a good shot, and is a good defender.. He'll be able to score and distribute immediately..

I ask this again, what's the difference between Conley and a healthy Speedy Claxton?? Conley is destined to be an average NBA PG..

• Premium Member

Quote:

So you're an Acie Law fan? Law is the only one who is ready.

It's not about what I think is best, it's about what the reality of the situation is.

Law *is* the most NBA ready, and NBA is what I think Knight will be seeking in a PG.

Quote:

Conley isn't any more ready than JC is at this point.

Based on what I've seen, that's far from true.

Quote:

Plus I actually think Crittenton will be better in the pros, he's 6'5 and built, already has good handles and a good shot, and is a good defender.. He'll be able to score and distribute immediately..

You've just described Antonio Daniels. What about Javaris is different than a healthy Antonio Daniels?

• Premium Member

If BK really wants Law, I won't complain one bit, I really hope he does..

Quote:

Based on what I've seen, that's far from true.

He's skinny, short, and can't shoot. He only averaged 11 and 6, he's not NBA ready. He's no more NBA ready than Marvin's 11 and 6 after his freshman year.. Even then, Conley just screams average NBA point guard..

Quote:

You've just described Antonio Daniels. What about Javaris is different than a healthy Antonio Daniels?

Antonio Daniels can't shoot. Antonio is also seen as a combo guard that can't handle the PG duties full time. Javaris is a MUCH better penetrator/passer/shooter..

You still haven't answered the question about Conley and a healthy Speedy..

Differences between Conley and a healthy Claxton:

1) Conley exists.

2) Conley looks like a better passer.

3) Conley just finished his freshman year in college and may develop a passable shot. Claxton never will.

Now it's entirely possible that Conley turns out to be a player similar to a healthy Claxton. Teams have made worse picks at #11. But his upside is significantly higher...if Claxton was healthy, a better distibutor, and had a passable shot, he'd be a good NBA starting PG.

• Premium Member

I'm not going to go defending Conley. Others already have, and you should go back and read their thoughts. Until you show any interest in their thoughts, why should I bother?

Quote:

Antonio Daniels can't shoot. Antonio is also seen as a combo guard that can't handle the PG duties full time.

He wasn't viewed as such when he was drafted. Go check out Usenet's description of him at the time.

Quote:

Javaris is a MUCH better penetrator/passer/shooter..

You're underrating Daniel's college success. He averaged 24/7 the year he entered the draft and was heralded as the top PG in the draft.

• Premium Member

Quote:

With good players on his team. Claxton averaged 7.2 assists in college..

Quote:

3) Conley just finished his freshman year in college and may develop a passable shot. Claxton never will.

Name some examples of PGs that couldn't shoot coming out that developed an adaquate shot.. It's not exactly "common" to just become a shooter..

Quote:

But his upside is significantly higher...if Claxton was healthy, a better distibutor, and had a passable shot, he'd be a good NBA starting PG.

If you want upside you take JC. Law is the most ready and I wouldn't mind him either..

Jason Kidd is an example of somebody who couldn't shoot in college and developed an adequate shot. I would also say that Tony Parker's shot has improved significantly. It happens. Conley also has a very strong mid-range game and can already hit a really nice in-the-lane floater (very much like Parker in fact).

It's unfair to say if you want upside, take JC. Yes, JC has good upside, but he also has significant downside. I believe Conley has nearly the upside that JC has with far more limited downside.

• Premium Member

I think Tony Parker is a great upside comparison for Conley. It should be noted that Parker drove CIA Pop crazy for the first couple of years in San Antonio. The Hawks won't have the luxury of a Tim Duncan to help bring Conley along.

BTW, I think a better upside comparison for Acie Law IV is Sam Cassell, not Chauncey Billups. I also think a Cassell-type player would be an excellent backcourt mate for JJ.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

With good players on his team. Claxton averaged 7.2 assists in college..

Look beyond the numbers on the assists. Conley did a very good job running the offense (both half-court and uptempo) and put players in position to succeed with his passing. Someone like Jason Terry racked up assists in Atlanta but never really ran a team or made the offense function more smoothly. Claxton doesn't do much of that either.

Guys like Iverson, Terry, etc. may rack up assists but it doesn't mean they are really operating as true point guards, IMO. Conley has shown the ability to run a team.

Incidently, I am not lumping Crit in with Claxton, Terry, etc. as far as playmaking ability for the long-term. I am just commenting that Conley looks very different from Conley in the most important thing a PG can do - run an offense.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Conley has shown the ability to run a team.

This is exactly my problem. Everything about Conley just screams average NBA PG to me.. He's short, skinny, can't shoot, deceives you as a good defender much the way Paul does, and put up VERY mediocre numbers. I just think it's because of his team's ranking that he's getting so much praise.. Despite what people say, I don't see him being near as NBA ready as they claim..

AHF, who would you prefer??