• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

WHat do we need the most a pg or a center??

Wurider05

I was listening ti Kevin Lockery, former nba coach, a few weeks ago on 790 AM. They brought up the Hawks and he defended Billy Knights decisions in a way that had me thinking that BK was a complete jerk. He stated that we have alot of good young players but that you really can't judge them until BK gets a point guard in here. With that being said would we be better off with a pg and letting Zaza/Solomon/Shelden hold down the fort until we can see how a real pg would affect this team.

a point guard. Zaza and shelden can like you said do a well enough job for us to compete next year for the playoffs but we need to increase our scoring. A great pg will increase your scoring usually more than a great center and we were one of the worst offensive teams last year. So we need a PG

The lack of a decent PG hurts the overall offensive efficiency of the team. Whether it be a scoring one or a passing one, or one that can do both, it is important to have a good floor leader on the floor.

The problem is, the Hawks PGs were hurt all last year, so we don't really know how good/efficient the total group can be. If we draft a PG this year, and he gets hurt, we're in the same boat that we were in this season.

But with this team, the Hawks lose games simply because they can't prevent people from scoring at will in the paint. At the very least, we need a defensive deterrent in the middle that can play decent defense in the post.

Right now, we're probably stronger at the PG position, with Speedy, Lue and AJ ( if all are healthy ), than we are at Center, seeing that ZaZa and Lo Wright are the only legit ones with size that we have there. The other guys who we play at center ( Smoove, Solomon, and Shelden ), are basically forwards, and have trouble staying out of foul trouble when guarding 5 spot. If we can't defend in the post and keep people from scoring in the paint, it doesn't matter how many points we score.

My vote: Center

• Premium Member

This is the thing about it.

Blake is only been in the league a few years, but he knows how to run an offense. Denver is not going to offer him much more than the MLE. If possible we trade off Lue and AJ and we run with Steve Blake and Speedy. I don't know how much fire Speedy has to get back, but if he does, he makes us a better team.

• Premium Member

A big from the draft is not neccessarily guaranteed.

Like I said before, Hawks fans just want something new. I don't want to draft Josh McRoberts because he's available when we pick.

I would rather just take the draft pick and add it to some players we need to get rid of and look for an experienced big through trade.

How about going after Gasol? Why not?

I think Gasol and Blake over the summer would be great additions!!

Quote:

With that being said would we be better off with a pg and letting Zaza/Solomon/Shelden hold down the fort until we can see how a real pg would affect this team.

I think a PG should be the priority with our Indy pick. We have to have a pg. We have invested all these picks and signings for everything but a pg. Its time for investments to go toward our future floor general...

I know some will say we spent a lot on Speedy but if you compare that to our possible longterm frontcourt investments of Solomon, Shelden, ZaZa, Smoove, Marvin, and Chillz it really is peanuts what we have spent on our PG position.

Quote:

The lack of a decent PG hurts the overall offensive efficiency of the team. Whether it be a scoring one or a passing one, or one that can do both, it is important to have a good floor leader on the floor.

The problem is, the Hawks PGs were hurt all last year, so we don't really know how good/efficient the total group can be. If we draft a PG this year, and he gets hurt, we're in the same boat that we were in this season.

But with this team, the Hawks lose games simply because they can't prevent people from scoring at will in the paint. At the very least, we need a defensive deterrent in the middle that can play decent defense in the post.

Right now, we're probably stronger at the PG position, with Speedy, Lue and AJ ( if all are healthy ), than we are at Center, seeing that ZaZa and Lo Wright are the only legit ones with size that we have there. The other guys who we play at center ( Smoove, Solomon, and Shelden ), are basically forwards, and have trouble staying out of foul trouble when guarding 5 spot. If we can't defend in the post and keep people from scoring in the paint, it doesn't matter how many points we score.

My vote: Center

this is exactly right. we don't have a single 7 footer on the roster. let's get some size in here and hope and pray speedy "feels better."

Quote:

this is exactly right. we don't have a single 7 footer on the roster. let's get some size in here and hope and pray speedy "feels better."

7 footers. What a difference a inch makes. This is true elswhere but not on the basketball court. 6'10", 6'11", or 7', not a lot of difference if the talent is there. I hear all this talk about how great Shelden and Solomon are going to be and sure enough, its usually the same ones crying about getting another big.

Let Shelden and Solomon give us at least one more year before we define them as wasted picks and draft another player to replace them.

Speedy's health is a real issue and needs to be addressed ASAP. Speedy "feeling" better... his condition gets worse with age not better; so do not count on more that one good season from him. If we are lucky enough to get that...

• Premium Member

After watching the Golden State/Dallas playoff games, I'd have to say PG hands down. Baron Davis' play tells me how much a PG can drive a running team, even if that team has no dominant post players. We have serviceable players in the post IF we decide to play that same style. Pachulia, Solomon, and Shelden all appear more than capable of hitting the boards and making good outlet passes or running the floor for easy baskets. In fact, players like JJ, Chill, and Smoove would thrive in that kind of system...with a good point guard. Watching Baron Davis tonight kinda reminded me of Javaris Crittenton for some reason. A PG that's big and strong with great handles and a little flair for the dramatic is what this team needs right about now. Right now, I believe Javaris is the right fit for this team. I hear a lot of talk about Conley, but the Hawks need a PG who can shoot. I hear a lot of talk about Law, but he may not be a good enough playmaker. I just feel that Crittenton is a good compromise between the two. Add to that the fact that he is 6'5" and you have a very versatile and quick Hawks backcourt.

The problem with drafting a point is that it will take several years to develop, especially with the draft crop this year. All the good pgs are freshmen or sophomores. They don't have enough experience to really make a huge difference next year. A post threat, however, opens up the rest of the offense. Putting a guy down on the blocks opens the floor for our wing players. Imagine Smoove on the wing with Oden posting. Smoove's man doubles the Oden back to Smoove on the drive, SA-LAM! (You can insert Gasol, KG, Okafor, Howard, etc into Oden's spot in the above scenario).

Point is, a post presence really is a need for this team. We have points on the roster that will look a lot better with a guy that commands a double down low. Will Oden provide that this year, probably not. But I can see it in two years. Gasol, KG, Okafor can do that for us next year however.

I have been pushing a trade for vets for a while now, and I will again. We need a veteran post player for our pick (unless we have the first pick). Another rookie thrown into the mess that is the Hawk's coaching staff would be a monumental mistake (unless we can get Oden).

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

7 footers. What a difference a inch makes. This is true elswhere but not on the basketball court. 6'10", 6'11", or 7', not a lot of difference if the talent is there. I hear all this talk about how great Shelden and Solomon are going to be and sure enough, its usually the same ones crying about getting another big.

Let Shelden and Solomon give us at least one more year before we define them as wasted picks and draft another player to replace them.

Remember, though, Shelden is 6'8'', not 6'11''. If you get a center, you aren't really drafting to replace Shelden. You are drafting to get someone to work with Zaza as our tandem in the post. Shelden at best offers 10-15 minutes in the center position, not a full time option.