• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Diesel's Blockbuster deal of the day.

Diesel

• Premium Member

I think that's where our disagreement starts..

You value Oden based on his potential... I think he has a great potential to come out and be the next Okafor without injury.

A good player. A very good defensive piece, but not a player you can build a franchise around.

Paul has already proved that he's a franchise PG. Those are few and usually if you get one, you don't give him up.. period.

• Moderators

Quote:

I think that's where our disagreement starts..

You value Oden based on his potential... I think he has a great potential to come out and be the next Okafor without injury.

A good player. A very good defensive piece, but not a player you can build a franchise around.

Paul has already proved that he's a franchise PG. Those are few and usually if you get one, you don't give him up.. period.

I think a franchise big man is significantly more valuable than anything else you can get for a basketball team. I am not sure if we agree or disagree on this. To me, someone like Hakeem (francise big man) is always more valuable than someone like Stockton or Thomas (franchise PGs).

You and do disagree on the likelihood of Oden becoming a franchise big man. If we agree big men of equal talent are more valuable, than what we probably disagree on is the likelihood Oden becomes one.

I like Paul but don't think he will ever be able to carry a team to a title (he may win a title but I don't think he will be someone carrying his team like Shaq, Hakeem, Moses, etc. did). I do think Oden has that potential. Therefore, I am willing to assume the risk that he 'busts' and is not the player that Paul has already shown himself to be.

Every few weeks, Diesel comes out with something so absurd that you would think he couldn't do any worse. Yet, he always comes through. Trust me, before next season starts, he'll come out with several new ideas even more ridiculous than this. He got no filter. bowdown.gif

With this trade, Diesel is working on our subconscious minds to make us realize how bad Marvin is (compared to Paul).

Quote:

Paul has already proved that he's a franchise PG.

I agree with this, but I don't agree that Paul will be the best PG for the next 10 years.

I think Deron may already be better (which means I'm eating a heaping helping of crow), I think Tony Parker is better, I think nash has at least 5 more years in the tank, I think Kidd has a couple more years in the tank, I think Felton will be excellent if they ever move Brevin, and I think there are some hugely talented PGs in college right now or about to be in college that have great potential.

Paul's awesome and he's a "franchise PG", but I don't think he's done enough to pove he's above the rest of the best.

PG play has made a big comeback, maybe partly due to the rules changes opening things up, or maybe we're just in a nice stretch of greatly talented players. I think we can get a franchise PG without giving up an All Star (JJ) and a guy with HOF potential (Oden).

• Premium Member

Diesel, I hope you're kidding.

Oden >>>> Paul. Oden will only make 4 million, and Paul will be looking PHAT paycheck after next year. A dominant center is much more valuable than a PG. Not to mention I'd rather pay JJ big money than freakin Chandler. Besides, with the Indy pick we can get our PG, no need to do this trade AT ALL.

It would be more like #1 for Paul/Chandler, which I still wouldn't do.. There's NO REASON to throw JJ in.

Quote:

Every few weeks, Diesel comes out with something so absurd that you would think he couldn't do any worse. Yet, he always comes through. Trust me, before next season starts, he'll come out with several new ideas even more ridiculous than this. He got no filter.
bowdown.gif

With this trade, Diesel is working on our subconscious minds to make us realize how bad Marvin is (compared to Paul).

Here I was thinking that the record he had broken is the seven posts on the front page entitled "Diesel *.*" Considering how often it's been done, I think that's a pretty impressive record to break.

• Premium Member

I think we do finally agree on something then...

I do agree that a franchise big in the mold of Hakeem is a great thing. However, Oden is not Hakeem. Hell coming out of Phi Slamma Jamma, Akeem was not Hakeem. What I am saying is that bigs come out every year and every last one of them is supposed to be the next... Honestly, I like Dwight Howard for the future more than Oden... And I don't think you will be able to count on either of them to have an Hakeem like effect on the team that they play for.

You and I still disagree here: Paul cannot carry a team to the title. Based on his rookie year, I believe that Paul can carry a team pretty far. I don't think any one player alone can carry a team to a championship... Let's not forget: Shaq had Kobe Or Wade (and as we have seen, that didn't always get it done), Moses had THE 76ers... Without Moses, the 76ers were in the finals, Hakeem is prolly the only one that didn't have a great cast surrounding him and he will always deserve the credit on that. However, that was still a culmination of being in the right place at the right time.

Quote:

To me, someone like Hakeem (francise big man) is always more valuable than someone like Stockton or Thomas (franchise PGs).

This is the statement. If Oden game translates into a less offensive Alonzo Mourning and Paul's game translates to a less offensive Isiah Thomas or John Stockton, you prefer Oden??? It's going to be interesting watching these careers play out.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

To me, someone like Hakeem (francise big man) is always more valuable than someone like Stockton or Thomas (franchise PGs).

This is the statement. If Oden game translates into a less offensive Alonzo Mourning and Paul's game translates to a less offensive Isiah Thomas or John Stockton, you prefer Oden??? It's going to be interesting watching these careers play out.

I have much more faith in Oden's long-term offensive outlook than you do. However, if asked to choose between a less offensive version of Alonzo at his peak and Paul ends up being a less offensive version of Thomas or Stockton I would have a hard time picking. Thomas isn't nearly Thomas without his elite offensive ability. Zo at his peak couldn't carry a team but was a stud defensively. I would probably lean towards the less offensive Stockton among those choices but that has less to do with Paul and Oden than it does with Zo, Thomas and Stockton.