• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Isn't Acie Law the 'best PG' in this draft?

HAWKS1986

Would anybody be opposed if Acie Law becomes the Hawks first round pick. Every player has weaknesses, but it appears he is the most complete of the available point guards in the draft. His four years in college has helped him and I believe his transition would be an easier one for him than Mike Conley or Javaris Crittenton.

I like Javaris as well, but Acie has strong leadership qualities and can shoot the ball consistently and would be a strong complement to Joe Johnson in the backcourt..

I just don't see Speedy Claxton being in a Hawks uniform in 2007, and Tyron Lue has proven he is more of a 'tease' and can't lead a team of a consistent basis.. And Anthony Johnson is 34 years old..

Strengths: Big time competitor who wants the ball in crunchtime … Has become a great team leader who has learned how to lead by example … Rare point guard who can operate equally well in a half court set or up tempo offense … Defensively Law shows good lateral quickness and reflexes to play passing lanes … Decent court vision, capable of driving and dishing in traffic … Great ball handler who uses his shifty quickness to get past most opposing defenders … Once in the lane, Law effectively uses his body control and ability to finish with both hands … Fundamentally sound player who plays the game with good poise and patience, rarely does Law force the action … Has the ability to hit the pull up J from mid-range off the dribble … Creative slasher who understands how to use the glass or floaters in the lane … Has improved greatly from behind the three point line where he can now convert with regularity … Unselfish player who will often look to get teammates involved first before attempting to shoot the ball … Possesses a great basketball IQ. Law plays the game very efficient and intelligently … Pushes the ball aggressively and effectively up the court …

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We can't go wrong with Law or Conley. Crittendon could turn out to best of all of them but we are not in a position to weight 3 years for someone to develop. That is what the 2010 draft is for ! Law and Conley can help NOW. If we do not drastically improve overthe next 2 to 3 years we stand to lose Smoove, JJ, Marvin, & Chils to free agency. Then we have to rebuild.....yuck ! NO way. We got fix the ship now and get an NBA ready PG.

There is somthing about Law that just screams at you, )if you have seen him play.) I've been really high on him since the Texas / Texas A&M double overtime game. He and Durant clearly looked like NBA stars in the making. Law has that "it" thing every body wants. Such a poised, yet, fierce competitor and his teams follows his lead and mindset whilke never losing their cool.

I agree Law and JJ would be a silky smooth back court for years to come. Both are play makers who can create for teamates while possesing deadly outside shooting range and overall game.

If we get a PG who can shoot it means Smoove can play SF and we can get more muscle underneath at PF if needed / when match ups dictate. If Conley is the PG it means we NEED Marvin's shooting out there at SF to balance the offense and Smoove plays PF out of necisity. Law gives the offense more balance and options since he can spread the floor and be a second scoring threat himself.

My mouth waters at the very thought of it !

We can't go wrong drafting Law. I have liked him for awhile, as you can see from this thread.

Law

I watched a couple of games where he absolutely put on a show. DraftExpress had an article about them..

Quote:

Coming off probably the most impressive week we’ve seen from any player in college basketball since the in-conference season kicked off, it would be impossible not to start off this edition of the NCAA performers without a detailed account of Acie Law’s play.

Law went into one of the toughest arenas in college basketball in Phog Allen Fieldhouse and took down an incredibly talented Kansas team with an impressive 23 point, 7 assist performance, only to outdo himself less than 48 hours later with a 21 point, 15 assist outing in a home win over Texas, playing on one leg for much of the 2nd half after rolling an ankle.

It can’t be stated enough just how much Law has improved throughout his four years of college basketball, developing from being a run of the mill high school prospect and a college freshman on a team that couldn’t even win one game in the Big 12 into arguably the best point guard in the entire country, playing for a team that absolutely no one wants to meet in the NCAA Tournament.

Law has always been known as a combo guard, but he’s done a terrific job this year shedding that label and developing into a true lead guard. He’s got a great supporting cast around him and is not afraid to use it, passing up good shots regularly for the benefit of finding a better one, something that was unheard of for him in the past. He’s making crisp, confident, creative passes swinging the ball around the perimeter in Billy Gillespie’s patient half-court offense, taking care of the ball wonderfully (2.12/1 assist to turnover ratio) despite the fact that he’s really forced to dominate it on a team that severely lacks other ball-handling options. He’s able to do that precisely because he is such an excellent ball-handler, being capable of breaking down defenses with his mind rather than with sheer explosiveness, and being equally skilled with either hand. He has a counter to every counter with his diverse triple-threat game, and therefore is rarely flustered even by the sight of an oncoming double-team that he enjoys splitting apart with the greatest of ease.

Law has wonderful body control and the ability to shift gears and change directions almost instantaneously reacting to what defenses throw at him, not being afraid to thread the needle with a lightning quick bounce pass on the drive and dish or take matters into his own hands when the situation calls for it. His offensive game inside the arc is amazingly complete, starting with his excellent mid-range game pulling up on a dime off the dribble with a nifty fadeaway using the glass and continuing with his patented floater that he sinks smoothly with either his left or right hand. His 3-point shot has improved by leaps and bounds this season despite his awkward shooting mechanics—getting virtually no lift on his jumper (a far cry from his mid-range shot), shooting the ball flat with an odd sidespin and his left elbow flailing out and sporting a fairly slow release as well. It goes in for him regardless at a great clip, 45% on the season-- which is all that matters--and much higher than that in the clutch. The problem is that we don’t have a huge sample size to work off of, only 2.5 attempts per game, which likely means this is something NBA personnel will be studying closely when they bring him in for private workouts.

As a slasher, Law is not going to blow anyone away with his amazing first step or ability to rise up off the floor, but his newly added strength and always-super-high basketball IQ help him create contact and get to the free throw line at a nice clip. Law is shooting a terrific 51.5% from the field, up from 38.7% as a freshman, which should tell you a little bit about the quality of shots he’s taking, as well as his much improved all-around skill level. In the clutch is where he’s really made a name for himself, though, outscoring opponents 7.3 to 7.1 in the last five minutes of games according to a stat mentioned by ESPN. He clearly takes his game to a completely different level in tight game situations when the pressure is on, which tells you plenty about the player he is.

In terms of his pro prospects, these past two games made plenty of previously indifferent scouts begin to jump on his bandwagon, at least from what we can tell. The NBA likes players who are winners, and that’s exactly what he is. We’ve always been extremely high on him as you may have read in the preseason , and the rest of the country is finally finding out why. In such a weak point guard class, there’s no telling how high Law could be drafted if a team is desperately looking for a playmaker. He has a chance to give his stock a tremendous boost if he can take his team to the Final Four-- and considering the way the Aggies are playing, it probably wouldn’t shock anyone if they did.

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1530

Law has proven that every year he works hard and he proves it with better on court production. We know Law will continue to improve since he has a 4 year track record of steady improvement.

Crittendon could be next years Dominic James. James (from Marquett) entered the college season as the #1 NBA PG prospect. He showed great atheltic ability though turn over prone his freshman year. Every one expected a natural progression of improvement. Well, James got worse, his turn overs went up. Now he has not only fallen out of the lottery, he is off the NBA radar.

My point, is trust what is there. Don't look at someone's physical attributes and come to a conclusion on a PG. As is preached every day, PGs play with their mind. Othe NBA position can get by on pure, raw, atheletism.

I guess I didn't see either of the two games described above...I think I started paying attention to Law after he got all the hype from those performances. Sounds impressive...I guess I just haven't seen enough to judge him. I watched nearly every Crittenton game, though, and I'm fairly sure that he'll be a good NBA PG one day.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. One thing I'm interested in is how athletic these guys are. If Law is an average or slightly above average NBA athlete, I would feel pretty good about him. If he's below average than I will have my reservations. But the other thing to think about here is that I'm not even sure BK is interested in taking a PG.

Quote:

One thing I'm interested in is how athletic these guys are. If Law is an average or slightly above average NBA athlete, I would feel pretty good about him.

Law, atheltic traits are at least average at the NBA level. He is 6'3'' ( a couple of inches taller then most PGs and has long arms ).

Just think Sam Cassell with a little more strength and reach which will allow him to finish better. Can uses his left and right hand equally well which allows his to get to the rim practically at will. Has a deadly floater and mid range game like Cassell. His offensive game is so complete you have to play him honest. Law could gain 15 to 20 pounds over the next 3 years. Then he would resemble Billups more. Over time he will just get stronger. Unlike Deron Williams coming out of school, Acie Law is looking to gain weight, where Deron Williams had to lose weight.

Chris Paul & Deron Williams had questions about how their game would translate to the NBA. They turned out quite well. I'm confident Law will do the same.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Chris Paul & Deron Williams had questions about how their game would translate to the NBA. They turned out quite well. I'm confident Law will do the same.

IMO that's more than just a question mark for a guy I'm not sure is talented enough to make up for his being a combo guard.

W

Here is Tony Mejia's list www.cbssportsline.com

1. Mike Conley Jr. Ohio State 6-1 180 Freshman

His speed will put him right up there with the T.J. Fords of the world, so don't expect his lack of size to hurt him. He's a distributor first, but has intangibles you can't teach, like knowing the precise moment when to take over a game.

2. Javaris Crittenton Georgia Tech 6-5 198 Freshman

He's young and very raw, but you can't teach his package of size, athleticism and instincts.

3. Acie Law IV Texas A&M 6-3 195 Senior

Scouts aren't in love with his fundamentals, but you can't argue his ability to get results. He helped Billy Gillispie completely turn around the Aggies program.

4. Petteri Koponen Finland (plays for Honka Playboys) 6-5 194 Int'l

He made a name at April's Nike Hoop Summit, distinguishing himself against the game's top young players by performing like a veteran. He's just 19 years old.

5. Dominic James Marquette 5-11 175 Sophomore

At less than 6 feet, he's out to prove that there is still a place for a little guy at the highest level.

6. Gabe Pruitt Southern California 6-4 170 Junior

He's still learning the point guard position, so he'd have to be considered a project. His size and athleticism should help him become a more than adequate defender.

7. Sean Singletary Virginia 6-0 185 Junior

Like James, he's trying to make the NBA despite measuring in below 6 feet. He has great quickness and good instincts, but has been plagued by inconsistency.

8. Taurean Green Florida 6-0 177 Junior

You have to like his improvement over his three years running the Gators, because he grew into a poised leader who routinely got results.

9. Mustafa Shakur Arizona 6-3 190 Senior

Underachieved in college, but you have to figure he'll get it at some point. He's worth a second-round pick.

10. Bobby Brown Cal State Fullerton 6-2 175 Senior

Trying to bring his name some positive attention.

Quote:

Isn't Acie Law the 'best PG' in this draft?

I really don't know. Right now he's the best "guard" of the three of them. Is he the best "PG"??? I honestly didn't get to see that much of him, and from what I've hard and read there seems to be at least some doubt about whether or not he's a legit 1 in the NBA.

If that's not true, I'm all for him. If it is true, I'd rather pass and get one of the true PG options.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Here is Tony Mejia's list

1. Mike Conley Jr. Ohio State 6-1 180 Freshman

His speed will put him right up there with the T.J. Fords of the world, so don't expect his lack of size to hurt him. He's a distributor first, but has intangibles you can't teach, like knowing the precise moment when to take over a game.

2. Javaris Crittenton Georgia Tech 6-5 198 Freshman

He's young and very raw, but you can't teach his package of size, athleticism and instincts.

3. Acie Law IV Texas A&M 6-3 195 Senior

Scouts aren't in love with his fundamentals, but you can't argue his ability to get results. He helped Billy Gillispie completely turn around the Aggies program.

4. Petteri Koponen Finland (plays for Honka Playboys) 6-5 194 Int'l

He made a name at April's Nike Hoop Summit, distinguishing himself against the game's top young players by performing like a veteran. He's just 19 years old.

We'll see about him. I don't want to but I question Law at the next level. I can see JC and MC as interchangable on any draft board.

W

I know everybody wants a "pass-first" PG here. But PGs like that are only good, if you have shooters surrounding him.

It's like coach said in another thread. If you want Conley, you better keep Marvin and any other shooters we have on this team around.

With Law, he can acutally be a shooter, as well as a distributor.

With Javaris, he can do it too, but probably turn the ball over twice as much.

Quote:

I know everybody wants a "pass-first" PG here. But PGs like that are only good, if you have shooters surrounding him.

It's like coach said in another thread. If you want Conley, you better keep Marvin and any other shooters we have on this team around.

With Law, he can acutally be a shooter, as well as a distributor.

With Javaris, he can do it too, but probably turn the ball over twice as much.

You see the light !

Quote:

I'd love to get Law or Crittenton, it's Conley that I'm so skeptical about.

The rule change eliminating the hand check has benefited the quicker players who can beat their man off the dribble. Conley is easily the quickest of the 3 and has the best pg skills. He could immediately turn the Hawks into a fast breaking team and cut the turnovers way down.

Tony Parker and TJ Ford can't shoot a lick and they are both smaller than Conley. Frankly i can easily see Conley being better than both.

I don't think he will be available at 11 but if he is i would take him over Law or Crit.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

I'd love to get Law or Crittenton, it's Conley that I'm so skeptical about.

The rule change eliminating the hand check has benefited the quicker players who can beat their man off the dribble. Conley is easily the quickest of the 3 and has the best pg skills. He could immediately turn the Hawks into a fast breaking team and cut the turnovers way down.

Tony Parker and TJ Ford can't shoot a lick and they are both smaller than Conley. Frankly i can easily see Conley being better than both.

I don't think he will be available at 11 but if he is i would take him over Law or Crit.

While the hand check rule is certainly a valid point, I just don't see Conley as anything more than an average PG.

Parker and Ford are good examples, but there are countless other quick PG's that aren't.

Quote:

That's not really true. The number one reason why I'd want a pass-first PG is to get our slashers (Marvin, Smith, Chill) involved more smoothly in the offense. We have incredible athletes and right now all they get is long jumpers. These guys should be catching the ball as they're darting towards the basket, and it's maybe happened 3 times (by luck) under Woody.

I think the "shooters" argument would be more accurately describe what you need for penetrating PG's (drive and kick), which is more like what we have in Speedy, if he gets healthy.