• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Isn't Acie Law the 'best PG' in this draft?

HAWKS1986

Quote:

Here is Tony Mejia's list
www.cbssportsline.com

1. Mike Conley Jr. Ohio State 6-1 180 Freshman

His speed will put him right up there with the T.J. Fords of the world, so don't expect his lack of size to hurt him. He's a distributor first, but has intangibles you can't teach, like knowing the precise moment when to take over a game.

2. Javaris Crittenton Georgia Tech 6-5 198 Freshman

He's young and very raw, but you can't teach his package of size, athleticism and instincts.

3. Acie Law IV Texas A&M 6-3 195 Senior

Scouts aren't in love with his fundamentals, but you can't argue his ability to get results. He helped Billy Gillispie completely turn around the Aggies program.

4. Petteri Koponen Finland (plays for Honka Playboys) 6-5 194 Int'l

He made a name at April's Nike Hoop Summit, distinguishing himself against the game's top young players by performing like a veteran. He's just 19 years old.

5. Dominic James Marquette 5-11 175 Sophomore

At less than 6 feet, he's out to prove that there is still a place for a little guy at the highest level.

6. Gabe Pruitt Southern California 6-4 170 Junior

He's still learning the point guard position, so he'd have to be considered a project. His size and athleticism should help him become a more than adequate defender.

7. Sean Singletary Virginia 6-0 185 Junior

Like James, he's trying to make the NBA despite measuring in below 6 feet. He has great quickness and good instincts, but has been plagued by inconsistency.

8. Taurean Green Florida 6-0 177 Junior

You have to like his improvement over his three years running the Gators, because he grew into a poised leader who routinely got results.

9. Mustafa Shakur Arizona 6-3 190 Senior

Underachieved in college, but you have to figure he'll get it at some point. He's worth a second-round pick.

10. Bobby Brown Cal State Fullerton 6-2 175 Senior

Trying to bring his name some positive attention.

Give me the guy from the Honka Playboys.

you can't go wrong if you get somebody off the Playboys.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Conley will be a great floor general. In the same breath both Conley and Law are good at driving the ball and kicking it back out to the open man......There seem to be this notion that Law does not have natural PG instincts. That is simply not true and is more evident when you see games film then box score assist stats. Texas A&M played at a very slow pace due to not having the offensive fire power as their peers. This limited the # of offensive possesions and skewed APG as well as PPG. Conley got to play at a faster pace and also had at least 2 assist a game Oden got for him that most post players could not convert buckets on.

Conley is forced to be more of a drive and kick PG then Law b/c Conley is so inconsistent from the outside . Law can be more effective then Conley at swinging the ball from side to side to side b/c Law's shooting range commands respect where his defensive match up can't leave him to play help defense. Therefor, to keep the defense honest Conley would have to creat perimeter offense for his treamates by driving and kicking alot like Speedy. This means JJ and Marvin have to stay on the floor or you play a mini me back court with Salim, Coley, and JJ at SF. Law or any pg with the ability to shoot makes it easier for us to play with a traditional PF or center with post moves. When the Post is doubled he can kick out to JJ or Law (any PG that can shoot) and Smoove would be allowed to play the SF / AK47 role if matchups dictate we go big.

With Conley in the game Smoove has to stay at the PF b/c shooters would be a necisity at the SG and SF positions if your PG has no range.

Now Law is not a shoot first PG. He alwayse swings the ball around or penetrates trying to creat somthing before he shoots the ball. Law is a natural PG who happens to be able to shoot the ball very well.

I honestly like Conley and Law about the same. I am just trying to elaborae on how each would mix with the Hawks current roster chemistry wise.

Conley would be the better, quicker defender. We would be forced to play Marvin at SF and Smoove at PF b/c Marvin's outside shooting would be a necessary to balance the offense. Conley would definatly help Marvin's and Smoove get easier buckets and JJ may return to hiting 3's 45% of the time. Would he help them anymore then Law ? I think that is more debatable then some would think.

Law can play very effective in the 1/2 court offense and runs fast break with good floor vision. Law is not a selfish shoot 1st PG some seem to lable him as. He scores as a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th options. He alwayse tries to get the team involved first. His shooting would allow the Hawks to play Smoove at the SF and go with a bigger PF if we are pushed around inside. If we ever get a offensive post presence Law would be a needed outside shooter the post player could kick the ball to when double teamed. We would simply be more flexible with lineups.

Quote:

Quote:

I'd love to get Law or Crittenton, it's Conley that I'm so skeptical about.

The rule change eliminating the hand check has benefited the quicker players who can beat their man off the dribble. Conley is easily the quickest of the 3 and has the best pg skills. He could immediately turn the Hawks into a fast breaking team and cut the turnovers way down.

Tony Parker and TJ Ford can't shoot a lick and they are both smaller than Conley. Frankly i can easily see Conley being better than both.

I don't think he will be available at 11 but if he is i would take him over Law or Crit.

We already have Mike Conley, His name is Craig. Javaris is the one with All of the Tools. He is a gym rat and a fighter, a natural leader. The workouts will be interesting.

Javaris will no doubt be looking for a guarantee, and he will get one.

Law is a winner and is #2 on my list. He will be a star. Conley has a chance to be a good starter, he is a young "Speedy" right know. The difference is, Speedy has experience.

Quote:

We already have Mike Conley, His name is Craig.

That is ridiculous. The only reason Speedy plays the point is because of his size and speed. He doesn't have the ball handling or court vision of Conley. Not even close.

Speedy is an undersized shooting guard who can't shoot. But he plays good D.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

That is ridiculous. The only reason Speedy plays the point is because of his size and speed. He doesn't have the ball handling or court vision of Conley. Not even close.

Exactly. I don't understand how anyone can compare the playmaking abilities of Conley and Claxton if they have watched both of them play. That is only the most important difference possible between the two of them (other than health).

Quote:

Quote:

Agreed ! Speedy floor vision is not on par with Conley. Their size, elite speed, and lack of shooting cause them to get grouped together. However, I think Conley shoots better then Speedy, though that is not saying much.

I am not falling into this hype machine of Crittendon. In saying that, BK's love and desire for a big PG may make us draft him to high at #11. This kid has skills but know polish. If you going to be an NBA PG you better be polshed up and shiney. I'd take a raw center, a raw wing guy, but not a raw PG. That is my take on it.

Everyone knows Law would be my pick at #11 since Conley would be gone by then. As long as we wind up with one of these 3 PGs I won't complain. If we don't get a PG or Hibbert I will be sick.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Agreed ! Speedy floor vision is not on par with Conley. Their size, elite speed, and lack of shooting cause them to get grouped together. However, I think Conley shoots better then Speedy, though that is not saying much.

I am not falling into this hype machine of Crittendon. In saying that, BK's love and desire for a big PG may make us draft him to high at #11. This kid has skills but know polish. If you going to be an NBA PG you better be polshed up and shiney. I'd take a raw center, a raw wing guy, but not a raw PG. That is my take on it.

Everyone knows Law would be my pick at #11 since Conley would be gone by then. As long as we wind up with one of these 3 PGs I won't complain. If we don't get a PG or Hibbert I will be sick.

It is ridiculous to rate a college player as having better vision than a seasoned pro with a championship ring. I mean, Bobby Hurley had better court vison in college than anyone in the last 10 drafts, but he was avg. at best in the NBA.

The problem I have with Conley is that how much of his success was predicated on having an imposing presence at center. Even when Oden was out, he was playing with a recruiting class who were the equivalent of the Mich Fab Five.

I had the same questions about Critt after playing with Howard in H.S. He answered all of those questions this year and his senior year in H.S. While Critt had a decent supporting cast, it was nothing like Conley's. In the case of Law, he has the "it" factor, that is essential for a team with eventual championship aspirations.

Quote:

It is ridiculous to rate a college player as having better vision than a seasoned pro with a championship ring. I mean, Bobby Hurley had better court vison in college than anyone in the last 10 drafts, but he was avg. at best in the NBA.

The problem I have with Conley is that how much of his success was predicated on having an imposing presence at center. Even when Oden was out, he was playing with a recruiting class who were the equivalent of the Mich Fab Five.

I had the same questions about Critt after playing with Howard in H.S. He answered all of those questions this year and his senior year in H.S. While Critt had a decent supporting cast, it was nothing like Conley's. In the case of Law, he has the "it" factor, that is essential for a team with eventual championship aspirations.

Law is a real close 2nd pick for me. Acie does have something like "it". Javaris got the "Motts".

Quote:

Please. Speedy has been a career backup who got a ring on the backs of great players.

Hurley didn't fail in the NBA because of a lack of pg skills. He failed because he lacked size and athleticism. The fact that he nearly died in an auto accident and never fully recovered also played a role, just like with Jay Williams.

Speedy is a seasoned vet who STILL drives deep in the lane and JUMPS TO PASS, resulting in way too many turnovers.

Quote:

Even when Oden was out, he was playing with a recruiting class who were the equivalent of the Mich Fab Five.

First of all you are the only one i have seen make the Fab Five comparison. And the fact that they were freshman makes Conley's stellar assist/to ratio even more remarkable since freshman are more prone to turnovers (see Crit).

i don't think Conley will be available at 11 so it is probably a moot argument anyway.

Quote:

Quote:

Please. Speedy has been a career backup who got a ring on the backs of great players.

Hurley didn't fail in the NBA because of a lack of pg skills. He failed because he lacked size and athleticism. The fact that he nearly died in an auto accident and never fully recovered also played a role, just like with Jay Williams.

Speedy is a seasoned vet who STILL drives deep in the lane and JUMPS TO PASS, resulting in way too many turnovers.

Quote:

Even when Oden was out, he was playing with a recruiting class who were the equivalent of the Mich Fab Five.

First of all you are the only one i have seen make the Fab Five comparison. And the fact that they were freshman makes Conley's stellar assist/to ratio even more remarkable since freshman are more prone to turnovers (see Crit).

i don't think Conley will be available at 11 so it is probably a moot argument anyway.

This was from Rivals.com

2. Ohio State - It's almost sacrilege to list the Buckeyes second with their stellar class this year. How many guys like Greg Oden, the best big man in the high school ranks since Shaquille O'Neal, come around? Not a lot. And now with the new NBA age limit, Oden will fine tune his pro-ready game in Columbus for at least a year. Coming along with him is his long time teammate and close friend Mike Conley, the No. 3 ranked point guard in the country, with him.

OSU coach Thad Matta was able to grab two of the top players from his own backyard in Daequan Cook, who played alongside Oden and Conley on the AAU circuit, and David Lighty. Both are five-star prospects and check in at No. 20 and 21, respectively. Junior college forward Othello Hunter rounds out the "Thad Five".

I am one of the few guys who still thinks Speedy can be really good for us if healthy, but he has zero court vision. He can play D, he can run the break, and he can penetrate at will and dish to the open man. Other than that, he has no court vision. That's not to say Conley will be a better player on day 1, but he has better vision and bball IQ for sure.

Quote:

Both are five-star prospects and check in at No. 20 and 21, respectively. Junior college forward Othello Hunter rounds out the "Thad Five".

Good for you. You found a Fab Five comparison. But for some reason you didn't respond to the rest of my post. I wonder why.

Since you are so good at research maybe you could find the last freshman pg with an assist/turnover ratio comparable to Conley's. Actually i would be surprised if you could find any college pgs, even seniors, with a comparable ratio.

Quote:

Quote:

Both are five-star prospects and check in at No. 20 and 21, respectively. Junior college forward Othello Hunter rounds out the "Thad Five".

Good for you. You found a Fab Five comparison. But for some reason you didn't respond to the rest of my post. I wonder why.

Since you are so good at research maybe you could find the last freshman pg with an assist/turnover ratio comparable to Conley's. Actually i would be surprised if you could find any college pgs, even seniors, with a comparable ratio.

I am not calling him a stiff man. I am just saying that he possibly could be a product of a superior supporting cast. Like I am sure Wojo at Duke had a kick azz ast/TO ratio.

• Premium Member

That's a pretty good comparison (Law to Cassell) While I personally think Law was more of a scorer than Cassell in College, their games are similar. Both can hit the big shot. Both are poised. Coming out of college, Cassell was a powerful PG..

Boy, you had to love: Cassell, Sura, Ward, Dobar, and Doug Edwards....

I remember them playing their way through the tourney to either the elite 8 or the final four and getting the dogsnot beat out of them by KENTUCKY!!!

• Premium Member

Quote:

We'll see about him. I don't want to but I question Law at the next level. I can see JC and MC as interchangable on any draft board.

Law is the best candidate of the three.

About Conley.

No Oden. It's easy for a 5'11 guy to take over a College game.

About Critt..

Again, PGs over 6'4 are unusal simply because they go on to play OG... Critt has very good potential, but I watched his last game. PG in the NBA will be just as hard as PG was that day.

About Law...

6'3. Clutch shooting. Good passing. Good defense. What more do you want?? His only weakness is that he's not lightning fast... BUT, do you have to be? Deron is not either.

• Premium Member

I think Speedy is still going to be a good surrogate for us if healthy.

I say that if we can't find a trade for Speedy that makes sense, like Speedy for J-Will...

Then we need to trade of Lue and AJ... and play the drafted guy and Speedy... Speedy can get assists and he plays good tough defense. I would also pick up one guy to mold from the NBADL... Probably somebody like Will Conroy...

That would be a nice threesome at the PG...

Law, Speedy, Conroy...

Plus, we have to figure out what will be of Salim?

Quote:

That's a pretty good comparison (Law to Cassell) While I personally think Law was more of a scorer than Cassell in College, their games are similar. Both can hit the big shot. Both are poised. Coming out of college, Cassell was a powerful PG..

Boy, you had to love: Cassell, Sura, Ward, Dobar, and Doug Edwards....

I remember them playing their way through the tourney to either the elite 8 or the final four and getting the dogsnot beat out of them by KENTUCKY!!!

That was a fun FSU team to watch. I remember Sura and Cassell balling like crazy. That is really the only FSU team I can recall having "special" basketball talent.

It is not just the crimson uniforms that make Cassell and Law similar. Were Charlie Ward and Cassell there at the samt time ? Gosh its been a long time. I remember Ward being a good floor general in his own right but Sam I Am Cassell was the baller ofthe two.

Sura was the 2nd coming of Rex Chapman.