• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

If we get a PG in the offseason.

Diesel

I don't think you can start Shelden at C, unless you mean the 5 minute start like Woody did with Ivey. He's just not a center. Also if you go small ball you have to use your advantage and run run run on the break. Woody didn't seem to understand that in his first couple of years, somehow I doubt he'll get it this year. Unless we see something new out of Shelden next year, I don't think you can start him at C.

Of course the real issue is we have no one that should start at C, but I would even put Zaza or Lo out there over Shelden, he's just not big enough.

I voted yes. Even though I think Shelden is too short to play pf i actually think he might work better as a center. The main reason is that in general the centers in the league aren't as good as the pfs, so the man to man matchups would actually be easier defensively. While some centers would tower over him he will be able to get low and root them out of good post position. Plus playing center will keep him close to the basket where he can get rebounds.

And while he isn't the shotblocker he was in college he does challeng the shots of guards driving the lane and isn't hesitant to take charges. Plus bringing Zaza in as a scorer off the bench worked pretty well.

Worst case scenario is that it doesn't work and he goes back to the bench. No real loss.

of course all this is assuming we don't get an ugrade at center over the summer.

I say no. I'm not opposed of using a "PF" type in the pivot but he would need to be either long (ala Jermaine O'Neal) or overly muscular (see Unseld). Shelden is not long or overly muscular. Shelden has the shoulders but his arms are average in width. Id stick Wilcox in there though.

I can see Shelden in the linup during games for various reasons (matchups, zone schemes ect...).

All of our young guys need to be in the weight room now, yesterday.

Woody is on record as saying that Shelden cannot play center. He said that he can't guard some 4's and has a lot of trouble at center. Between a rock and a hard place with Shelden.

Truly, he is a 5. But he can't play the 5 at the NBA level. I wonder if a private workout would have flushed him out. But Levenson says private workouts don't show you much. I think he meant they don't show Billy much...cause everybody else does them and we saw CP3 and Deron up close and still drafted Marvin.

Just for grins, if I am investing in a lottery pick I would take a good look, up close and personal.

Shelden is just too small for center and really really sucked for most of the season. He began to contribute towards the end, but he needs to show continued improvement to be considered for any starting job. (I doubt any other team would even consider it - but with our talent level ... ...) Maybe it was just the injury but I would like to see more consistent performance before I'd go that route. If you are thinking we could live with a short center on a running team, I can't see that happening under Woody. Hibbert seems to be more of a Woody style player.

What he said was that during the last 10 games of the season the competition in the middle on the other teams was non-existent. Therefore, SW could play at his best position...the 5. However, he also said that during the real regular season that SW had huge problems at the 5.

The last 10 games were basically played against NBDL teams. Guys were shut down on most of the teams we played. SW and Marvin's numbers can be taken a little lightly the last 10 games.

Shelden is listed at 6'9" and actually measured a half an inch or so shorter than that at the combine. Then you have to take into consideration that he gets an extra inch in height just because of that forehead...so his body should be listed as 6'8" and actually be a little shorter.

That's just no big enough to be a starting center IMO. I do think that he could be a solid backup center though. Maybe he could pick up 10-12 minutes at both the 4 and the 5 depending on matchups and how much he improves.

P.S. - Will Shelden be playing in the Summerleague? detective.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Works for Amare, who's what? 6'8?

Amare is more athletic than Shelden and he is listed 6-10, but no way he is 6-10.

Amare's standing reach is 9' or 9'1", can't remember which off the top of my head. Sheldens is 8'8". And Amare has a high vertical although it probably isn't the 37" it used to be.

• Premium Member

Sorry, but Woody is not an expert on player position.

You can't have it both ways TP... You can't bash Woody on one day and then use him as the residence expert the next.

Shelden kinda proved that he can play the position. I think Ex makes an excellent point.. I thnk that some are off point if you doubt Shelden's strength...

Guest Walter

Quote:

Shelden kinda proved that he can play the position. I think Ex makes an excellent point.. I thnk that some are off point if you doubt Shelden's strength...

Quote:

Can anyone anywhere imagine any team with SW as it's starting center ever contending ever?

It's a disasterous notion, especially with JS at Pf.

W

Quote:

It's a disasterous notion, especially with JS at Pf.

W

I think so too.

But maybe not. Look at the Pistons. And like I said if San Antonio doesn't win the title, then some team is going to win the title without a true big man. If that happens we have to give it a shot.

Actually what we should do is give Solomon a friggin shot. He may not have the mass but he's long like a 5.

• Premium Member

I was going to start off saying I don't know why you hate Shelden so much, but the truth is I do. You hate Shelden so much for a few reason.

1. You live in Duke Country and you hate Duke.

2. You use Shelden (regardless of how well he plays) to try to show that you should be the GM instead of BK.

3. You may even be Jealous that Shelden has a Hot Girl who can ball and all you have is a Rosey Palm.

The problem Walter is that you complain constantly without respect of the facts...

Like this one... When Shelden took off the Shoulder brace, this happened:

Quote:

Williams finished the season on a tear, averaging 12.8 points and 11.8 boards while shooting .588 from the field over the last eight games.

And I know what you want to say, that it was the end of the season... BUT Wait.. Before the brace went on:

Quote:

The bright side of adversity is opportunity, and power forward Shelden Williams is beginning to make the most of the Williams injury. He's started every game for the Hawks this season, posting reasonable totals (6.8 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 50.0 FG%, 84.2 FT%) thus far, and recently showing signs of a breakout.
His past five games (10.6 ppg, 9.2 rpg, 51.4 FG%, 82.4 FT%)
have been a positive sign of a rookie becoming more comfortable at the professional level.

Nothing was ever said about the injury during the season... but you can see that there was a point before and after the injury that he was playing well. Had he had a continuous Double Double track, there's no telling what would have happened.

So I listen to you attack Shelden at every opportunity, and I see the ignorance of your attack. It's funny. Kept it up!!

Nah, I don't like Shelden because of who DIDN'T get. Nothing against Shelden personally but I wanted Roy. Same as you wanted Paul over Marvin and have been picking on him for two years. I'm trying real hard not to pick on Shelden but he makes it hard. I am not impressed at all by Shelden and I thought picking another forward was ridiculous.

Hopefully if we get the #2 pick this year we have some trades lined up well before the draft. I'd hate to see BK pick Durant and then try to do some trades - we'd get screwed because everyone would know our situation and take advantage of him.